All reviews great hotel ice machine town square no air conditioning perfect location we loved our stay family hotel passion play breakfast was excellent washer and dryer parking permit triple room three nights beautiful town within walking distance hotel is located bread
Reviewed 1 December 2015 via mobile

This location it is Paradise!
Hotel and personal was great. I wish to come back soon it is possible.
The sightseeing from room it is like fairytale.
The weather no matter what is it. First we want stay one night, but we stay another two days.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank AlbertN74
Reviewed 15 November 2015

We arrived at 2130hrs after a delayed flight into Munich - we were buzzed into the hotel by someone we didn't see and our room keys were left on the reception counter. The rooms have no tea/coffee making facilities, no mini bar or even drinking water. The hotel guide directs you to a vending machine but unfortunately this was out of service the four nights I was here and we didn't see the the hotel bar and restaurant open during our stay. I suppose the first week in November could be considered out of season but we were surprised to find the whole town was closed by 2130hrs, even hotels and restaurants were closed up and there was nowhere to get a snack or a drink so we went to bed hungry and thirsty. Exploring the town later in the week I couldn't even find a kiosk although there is a small supermarket away from the centre. My room was quite large and had two sets of doors onto the front balcony although other members of the party had very small rooms. Nice view across a little square and up the mountain. The bed was comfortable and the room was warm. Plenty of hot water and good shower pressure. Breakfast was good with plenty coffee, juice etc. Scrambled and boiled eggs were available alongside the usual cheese, meat etc - good selection. The lovely lady in the breakfast room was the only person we had any contact with all week - reception was usually unmanned with a number to ring in case of emergency - front door was accessible with your room key. Internet and phone connection is poor even in reception. There is a laundry room with iron etc but nothing in the rooms. A mixed bag really - I think I may need to visit in the summer to get a better impression.

Room Tip: Room 103 large and nice views
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
lternes, Manager at Hotel Wittelsbach, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2016

Dear guest,
many thanks for your feedback. This helps us to improve ourselves. Our Wifi is now working in all our rooms.
Kind regards
Your Hotel Wittelsbach-Team

Reviewed 22 October 2015

On our honeymoon in Germany, my husband chose this hotel off of the internet. When we arrived he dropped me off after check in and went to park the car. When he arrived at the room, I was sitting on the side of the bed, overwhelmed in tears. The view from our bedroom window captured the nearby mountain peak in a perfect frame. It was the most beautiful view I have ever seen from a hotel room. It was PERFECT!
I loved the room. It was very "Bavarian" in style. Ours had a slanting roof line since we were on the top floor, which gave our room a "chalet" feel.
The room was otherwise updated with modern amenities, with a very modern bathroom.
Although we had planned to go on the gondola ride to the top of the Zugspitze, (tallest mountain peak in Germany), our innkeeper Lorenzo told us about the gondola ride to the top of the Lauber. The Lauber was much closer, and cost only 14 euros per person, v. the Zugspitze which is 80 euros per person. It was much less crowded as well. Excellent suggestion, saving us a lot of time and money, and getting a better view! It was breathtaking. We got to see the Zugzpitze from the distance. We also got to watch a couple of parasaliers jump off the side of the Lauber while we were there, which was also a lot of fun to see.
The restaruant was on the second floor. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The service was great
Overall, Hotel Wittelsbach was an excellent choice.
We hope to return someday, and recommend to our friends to stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for third floor facing the mountain!
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2015

Stayed here for 2 nights during our Bavarian/Austrian tour in a party of 8 friends. The staff were very welcoming, the rooms comfortable and well appointed and the breakfast pretty good. The waiter serving us was excellent and had a good sense of humour. The lady on reception who was clearly in the later stages of her pregnancy was superb!@ What an asset to the business. She spoke so proudly of her hotel and couldn't do enough for us.
Negatives? Yes there were a couple, - the wifi is slow and archaic, you can only get it near the reception area, and for some reason, this hotel was one of the few that didn't have the painted external murals that Oberammergau is famous for. This made the hotel appear less welcoming to visitors. I visited this hotel in July when I was planning the tour and was at first drawn to the next door hotel which had beautiful painted elevations. Unfortunately (for them!) the welcome I received was poor and so I went into The Wittelbach where I had an excellent reception from the manager which was rewarded by our subsequent booking.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank UKTravellers89
Reviewed 11 October 2015

We called to confirm our reservation the morning of our arrival and let them know we had a dog, baby and crib with us. They arranged a larger double room for us on the third floor. It was an excellent size with plenty of room for the crib and dog. The town was a pleasant surprise as this was a last moment getaway for us. Though the weather was overcast, we were able to enjoy the sights of the town and even hiked up the nearby ski area. The breakfast was enjoyable with various choices.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family