Hotel Arnika
Gastehaus Otto Huber(Oberammergau)
Parkhotel Sonnenhof(Oberammergau)
Hotel Turmwirt(Oberammergau)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsschnitzelminute walkrooms are nicesingle roomfriendly atmosphereviews of the mountainsthe ground floorvillagebalconies
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I've stayed in a couple of guesthouses/hotels in Oberammergau and I'd say this one it the best. It's spotless, modern and the staff all speak English. Located about five minutes from the center of Oberammergau, it faces the mountains so that, as you walk out every morning, you're presented with a spectacular view which made me pause every day and say "Are you kidding me?"

There's a restaurant on-site which serves three meals a day. Breakfast is standard continental fare and pretty reasonable (5 Euros). Lunch and dinner are varied but good and also reasonably priced. While service is not the same as you would get in the US, I found everyone to be friendly and eager to help. I'd stay there again

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the mountains. The view is spectacular.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nomad2011
Reviewed 26 January 2013

I recently spent 5 nights at the Arnika. It's a solid, family-run Bavarian hotel. My standard room was fairly small, but impeccably clean - and I mean really, really spotless. Service is patchy. It's still a bit of the old German "how dare the customer want something from me now?" attitude. Reception isn't always manned, they lock the front door at 10 p.m., and the restaurant really struggles if there are more than 10 people there. But when they do get around to dealing with you they do it efficiently. The restaurant food is okay. Not bad, but nothing special. The breakfast is fine, it's the typical spread of cold cuts, rolls, and muesli and corn flakes, etc. Don't expect fresh juice, they just have this awful kool-aid juice. Overall, this hotel is fine for a price just under 100EUR incl. breakfast, but it definitely would not be my first choice in Oberammergau.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank lupo_mm
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Third hotel we stayed in on a recent walking holiday in Bavaria. Typically clean, modern, quiet and well run small family hotel in the area. Pleasant staff, although on each of the three days/two nights we were in the hotel there only appeared to be one person - a different lady each day- on duty -ie running the reception desk and running the restaurant in the evening. We stayed on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. The breakfast buffets were good quality and varied but the four course fixed menu dinner options, although huge portions - too big in reality - were not the best we experienced during our holiday. Meat courses were either overdone (on one night) and underdone (pink pork!) on the other. But no health damage done so overall an enjoyable stay

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chester_UKCitykid
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed for two nights on a walking tour. The room, the food and the majority of the staff were acceptable. However on the last evening we enquired of the management (Frau Altgasser I believe) what the arrangements were for us to be taken to the train station to catch the 8:38 train the next morning, a service our holiday company has contracted with the hotel. She said it was 10am and would not budge when we said this would mean we miss our flight back to the UK. There was no sympathy, apology or attempt to help us in any way, e.g. by offering to get us a taxi. Nor would she let us pay the bill that evening or agree to provide a slightly earlier breakfast because of the early departure. So we spent the next couple of hours sorting it out with the holiday company, who also tried unsuccessfully to convince the hotel to fulfil their obligations before booking us a taxi.

The next morning when I was paying the bill my wife took some (three, what a sin!) of the tiny boiled sweets from the basket. She immediately whipped the basket behind the counter and muttered something along the lines of "that might be what you do in England but not here". I really believe she is one of those people who feels that her life would be much improved without those pesky guests; why she is making herself miserable in the hotel business I can not imagine...

Finally, another member of our walking group was charged 2.50 euros for a small pitcher of tap water with his dinner, and didn't even get any ice for his money!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jonathan P
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My daughter doesn't usually travel with my wife and I but this time was the exception. We wanted to take her on a little mini-vacation for her good grades this school year and wanted something nice. I've stayed at the Hotel Arnika a few years ago and had a nice experience. So, I booked a large room for three and the whole experience, from start to finish was superb. The hotel and room was absolutely spotless and beautifully done. The staff speak fluent English and was very professional and very helpful. The location is not in the middle of town but it's within easy walking distance. We'd walk to dinner each night with a stop at the small cafe next to the Alte Post for ice cream - delicious! I've lived in Europe on and off for over 20 years and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to enjoying a true Bavarian experience.

Room Tip: This was my second time at the Hotel Arnika and it's been fantastic each time. The only thing I heard during my two stays were the sound of running water (there's a small stream behind the hotel).
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family