“Comfortable, Cozy and Quaint”

Hotel & Gasthof Schatten
Markham, Canada
“Comfortable, Cozy and Quaint”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I booked my stay at the Hotel and Gasthof in order to ski the nearby Garmisch-Classic and Zugspite Ski Areas. The hotel was very comfortable and the staff helpful and fluent in English, the latter being important as my German is virtually non-existent.

Please see the photos of my "North" room, it has the typical continental European Queen bed with two individual mattresses on the bed and two comforters. I found the bed fully comfortable - much better than some sway-backed and sagging mattresses I've endured mostly in North America.

The room had radiators for heating including the type in the bathroom where you can hang towels or clothing to warm/dry. In typical Euro fashion, there is a soap dispenser on the wall of the shower (no bath) that is to be used for shampoo and body wash. I've begun traveling with my own shampoo and a scrubbie for the soap as there wash cloths are not provided. Hand towels and Bath towels yes, wash cloth no.

Each bedside stand had two power outlets as well as a bedside lamp switch. I found this handy to recharge my phone and my MP3 player. This is *not* a business hotel so there was no desk. Also, I believe the hotel has a Hotspot but is wasn't accessible from my room (and my room was on the 2nd floor).

The breakfast buffet, included in my room rate, was also consistent with what I expect from a decent property. There's cold cereal and yogurt, breads, assorted cold cuts and cheeses as well as boiled eggs. In addition there are pitchers of juice, apple and orange, coffee and tea and an assortment of apples, oranges and grapes. It was all of good quality and variety without standing out in any particular way.

I also had my dinner in the restaurant and found the cooking to be quite good although meals in general have a little more salt than I cook with myself. The Kalbsbraten was tender and flavourful and the portions were ample. Plus, after a day skiing, it was nice to not have to go out again.

Oh, a pleasant surprise, on checking in I was given a guest pass that was good for the buses, access to some local attractions and some other things. With the distance from the hotel in the quaint town of Partenkirchen itself, I was glad to have had a rental car to pick up rental skis and get to the hill but having the bus pass would have been very convenient had I arrived from Munich by train.

Last thoughts, the room has an HD TV with some English language programming. I parked my vehicle just out front but it was a bit tricky in the snow. The room had ample space to hang clothes and has a room safe.

I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Olde_biL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Bottesford
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Great little hotel , rooms were clean and basic .The staff were a ok , enjoyed sitting outside drinking the local brew and watching the cows come home !

Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Georgia, USA
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Delightful, small hotel very conveniently located in Partenkirchen. Though it looks old and is designed in the traditional style, the hotel is quite new and the rooms are comfortable and well appointed. The hotel also has an elevator to the upper floors. Convenient street parking was available and a number of restaurants are a short stroll away. Friendly, helpful staff. Good, traditional breakfast is included.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank randy12
San Antonio
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I read the reviews on Tripadvisor before booking, but I still had no idea this hotel was in such a lovely part of town. It's right off the Ludwigsstrasse, which is the oldest part of Partenkirchen. The painted buildings there are charming, and we went to Mass in the Sebastianskapelle, a tiny church built in 1637 and located less than five minutes from the hotel.

We are stationed in Germany and decided to travel to Bavaria during the off-season on a whim. The Hotel Schatten proved to be a great choice. The room was charming and very comfortable. The television had German, French, and English channels. The room size was reasonable but not huge. Our bathroom, however, was huge and very warm and clean--lots of room there to prop wet equipment or clothing if you're participating in outdoor sports. (Not sure if the bathroom size is standard throughout the hotel, though.)

The bed was comfortable, although the pillow was a bit lumpy--but pillows can't suit everybody. We did have to unplug the television monitor to get the power light to go off, but that was an easy solution. And although the hotel was reasonably busy and the room next to ours was occupied, we heard no noise as some reviews here have mentioned. (In any case, I travel with a "white noise" app on my phone.) Maybe because we were here during the off-season, we had no trouble finding parking nearby on the street.

The weather was bad the first day, so we were glad we didn't have to walk far to enjoy some sights, and we had coffee and cake in the nearby Cafe Kneitinger, which was amazing. The restaurant in the hotel is very pleasant and features excellent Bavarian cuisine and beer. Also, they were featuring Bavarian music on Saturday night, so we didn't have to get our feet wet to enjoy a taste of the local culture. We wound up eating there twice because it was so convenient.

Breakfast was the typical German spread of brotchen, sliced meat, cheese, and butter and jam. The cheeses were very good, as were the jams, and I enjoyed the variety of teas. All in all, given the reasonable room price and all the amenities, we will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 29 and can recommend the room and view.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Clare_and_Joe
Wisconsin
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Just had a quick overnight in Garmisch. This hotel was an enjoyable stay. It was a good value for the area. There is a fee for parking and for internet. The room was adequate size and clean. The breakfast simple but nice. We were awakened at 6 am to a herd of cattle walking through the street and stopping to drink from the fountain in the street. What an unusual site. Wish we could have stayed longer to enjoy the city and the area. The hotel has a restaurant and beer garden.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Georgiechick
Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We spent a rainy day at the Hotel Schatten in September 2011. The hotel was easy to find, although not exactly in the center of things. There is convenient parking beneath the hotel and some of the staff spoke English. This is a fairly new hotel, although built to resemble an older structure. Because the hotel is new, the room was large enough to suit American tastes and the bathroom quite modern. Our room had its own patio and, on a nice day, would have had a great view of the Alps. The breakfast included made to order eggs and the typical German cold fare. We also had dinner at the hotel, which proved to be excellent, as well.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank cayman8
Lyon, France
Reviewed 9 September 2011

We had a wonderful stay in a two-bedroom suite at the Gasthof Schatten.
The pros far outweigh some mild inconveniences. The view of the Zugspitze from our bathroom windows alone was worth a visit! The rooms and baths are large, well appointed, cozy and sparkling clean. Breakfast is generous and the wait staff is welcoming and efficient. We had dinner one night in the hotel Biergarten while listening to live Bavarian music and spent a cheerful time chatting with the neighboring tables in a mix of German, French and English! Everyone working at the hotel was dedicated to making our stay more enjoyable.
Minor inconveniences: the walls are paper-thin between the rooms and you'll hear every word said on the other side. And the parking garage is a real challenge, better park outside if you can!
Also, we did not know that Partenkirchen is the quiet village while Garmisch is the liveliest part of town, and would have prefered to know beforehand.
The icing on the cake at the Schatten: every morning at 5:30am, a small herd of cows (with loud bells) stopped at the street fountain in front of the hotel to drink on their way to the nearby pasture. Such a picturesque sight that I didn't even resent this early morning wake-up!

Room Tip: The family suites are great!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family