“A-ma-zing!”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Grill
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Awesome service, great atmosphere, sat outside with friends, great prices and amazing food! I had the man's potato and OMG it was amazing!!! I love baked potatoes, but this was over the top in every way! It was topped with the most scrumptious pieces of marinated and slow-roasted pork pieces (grilled maybe?), onions, and some other types of meat with some kidney beans. It sounds like a heartattack in all, but it's totally healthy and yummy!

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Nice food, good service and menu, would recommend to others. Ideal location in centre of town to take stroll to walk off those steaks!

Reviewed 16 November 2013

We were wandering around Garmisch, ducking in and out of stores and shoppes for several hours. It was A bit too early for a regular BierHaus to be open so we found the only place that was open and ready to serve dinner. My wife saw the Texas flag and was both intrigued and cautions. After all, this is deep inside Germany, how close to Texas style cooking could it be.

Upon entering my wife commented on the fact that the owner must have some kind of connection to the state as portions of the motif are only recognizable to true Texans. Anyway, on to the food.

For drinks I ordered a Dunkel (Dark German Beer) my wife ordered a potent Raspberry something or other. Both drinks came quickly and were cold and refreshing. Our Bar Maid/Waitress was a friendly young lady who did her best with her English as I did my best with my German. Together we worked it all out.

We ordered the cowboy platter. It is a massive tray of meat, patatoe wedges, French fries, corn and assorted meats We very much enjoyed the chicken wings, ribs and steak. I didn't care for and neither did my wife, the turkey steak. That would be a good one to strike from the menu in my opinion. We like the touch of campfire setting as the baked beans came piping hot still in the can after being heated over open flame. My wife stated that there were not the type of beans that Texans would eat but hey, again we were in Germany.

Over all it was a very good meal and we would return if ever in the area.

See you on the trail and remember, don't be one of "those".

John Eric

1  Thank John F
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Well. Seemed like a nice place. Locals we hiked with for a stretch in the mountains recommended it.

The place coins itself as a steakhouse. They have lots of steak options, sides, and sauces.

We had the onion rings and garlic bread for appetizers. The Garlic bread was good. The onions rings were on par with a college cafeteria. They came fast at least.

We ordered drinks twice during the meal. Both times it took 10 minutes for the drinks to come. We actually had the entrees come out before the second round of drinks.

And the entrees... My wife had a Caesar salad that was good. Not much to mess up.

My first bite was of a fry. I've worked in cafeteria food and I know what fries taste like after sitting under a heat lamp for 1 hour. This is what Techmer's fries tasted like. A steakhouse should cook their sides fresh. Also annoying was that the serving of fries was dainty, further indicating that my fries were the last bits of a tray that had been sitting under a heat lamp for an hour.

On to the steak. Lets start with a proposition: steakhouses should always make great steak. Sounds fair, right? Well, the steak Techmer's served me absolutely destroyed that proposition. It was as if Techmer's had outsourced the steak cooking to the McDonalds down the street and a pimply faced 12 year old had somehow cooked it with only heat being applied to half of the steak. I ordered the ribeye, it was about 300 grams total, around 50 grams of that was inedible fat. I asked for the steak to be cooked medium rare (something that two other restaurants have pulled off spectacularly in Europe). My first bite was medium well (no pink in the center). This continued until the halfway point of the steak which suddenly was rare (the steak could have gotten up and walked home). Neither half of the steak was cooked how I had asked it to be cooked. The international league of steakhouses should strip Techmer's of their title until they actually learn to cook a decent steak.

Why didn't I send the food back? I was super hungry from hiking and I didn't want to wait half an hour for a slightly less bad steak.

The hollandaise sauce and garlic sauce that came with the meal was quite tasty. Based on the quality of the steak and fries I'll attribute that to a good instant-sauce company, I doubt the sauces were fresh.

On service in Europe. Sometimes it seems like the waiters are annoyed by your presence at their restaurant and are fairly disinterested in you and your eating experience. If the food is great this can be ignored. It the food is bad then it gets annoying really quick. The service here was disinterested. We ordered apps immediately and then she asked us if we needed a minute for drinks. She then came back and hot out drink orders. We were ready to order entrees, but she ran off before we said anything. The apps came 5 minutes later before the drinks. We had to wait another five minutes for the drinks after that. At the end of the meal we sat for 15 minutes with no food, no drink before we were able to get her attention for the check.

I really, really, really did not like this restaurant. I would not recommend eating here. This was the worst steakhouse I have ever been to. I give them two stars for my wife's salad being good and for cheap drinks.

2  Thank Eric M
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Love the atmosphere and food. If you are looking for a great burger or something a little out there you must go to Techmer's. Great service and menu. Because sometimes you just want a great burger and a beer.