“Dont Stay Anywhere but Atlas Grand in Garmisch”
Review of Atlas Grand Hotel

Atlas Grand Hotel
Boston, Massachusetts
“Dont Stay Anywhere but Atlas Grand in Garmisch”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed there with a friend who had discovered this hotel once before recently. I cannot say enough about it-clean, friendly, excellent breakfast and food, the sauna area is very relaxing, reasonable rates, great wine bar, and you can fall into a bakery across the street it is so close. The grounds and views are breath taking.

Room Tip: Pool was not open and no fitness center-but again, the sauna area is great.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
tel aviv
Reviewed 2 November 2013

THis 41/2 stars hotel should be given more then 5 stars. This is a great old 500 years hotel renewed 3 years ago in old style very strict. THe hotel is very modern with very old furnitures. THe Wi Fi was great and free. The spa was just great.The breakfast food was exelent.The staf was very polite and very helpy. I know I will returen.

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank yaariran
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I tagged 3 nights on to a Munich business trip and headed down to the twin towns of Garmisch-Partenkirchen for some winter sports fun.

The hotel is located in the old part of the town, and is clothed in the style of an old Bavarian alpine town.

The room was spacious, the bed was amazing, the shower was waterfall strong.

The staff were welcoming and very helpful, pointing a slightly lost looking English snowboarder in the right direction and tolerating the oversized board bags I dragged into their hotel with impeccable grace.

The breakfasts were just what I needed to combat a day on the mountain, delicious!

I can't recommend this place enough, 90 minutes out of Munich on the train and a whole world away.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hotel was a delightful surprise! It had a lot of character and was cozy at the same time. The room was very traditional and the breakfast was one of the best I have experience; great variety, fresh and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. All of this and a very reasonable price!

I stayed here for skiing and found it very easy to access the mountain. The bus stop is literally just around the corner from the hotel and drops you directly at the mountain train or lift.

I will definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: The "older" wing of the hotel has the more traditional rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We came to this hotel at the last minute. Initially we booked in another hotel in Garmisch and were disappointed.

Price are reasonable in comparison of the high quality and comfort in this hotel. This hotel is a museum by itself. It is filled with antiquities and authentic art work.

The room carved wood and original centuries old painting. Fantastic breakfast.

This hotel is built on top of a post station that has been active in Roman times.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This hotel is certainly very charming and traditional. For those who are interested in history it has an amazing past involving King Ludwig... I believe; I only briefly glimped over the history, but interesting nonetheless.

My husband and I visited the hotel for coffee while staying elsewhere on a previous trip and it definitely had that initial wow factor; which ultimately made us return last week for a four night stay.

The decor is traditional Bavarian and has elements also reflecting the history as mentioned. When you first see the bedrooms they certainly have that wow factor and as noted by someone else, the bathrooms are amazingly modern in relation to the 'oldness' of everything else.

The view of the moutains is simply breathtaking and likewise, the street is very pretty and lined with beautiful historic buildings most of which are decorated in the traditional murals.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and communicating in English rarely a problem. The Hotel Manager was extremely efficient and helpful; nothing was too much for him including evening drives to local restaurants for a family member with a walking difficulty; he stayed on and was pretty much on call for when we needed him.

But there are a few downsides!

We initially booked our stay, two rooms for four nights over the phone. When we arrived after a long drive from the UK we learnt that there was no booking! Thankfully, they had two rooms and the rooms happened to be cheaper and nicer than the ones we thought we had booked. (We had previously had a look around the hotel when visiting for coffee).

The building is very higgedly piggedly with a few ugly add-ons especially at the back of the hotel ie. the sauna, which does admittedly offer a panaromic view of the moutains. And while this make the hotel more 'modern' in a sense it does ruin the view for guests in the rooms behind this wooden construction.

The outdoor pool looks extremely dubious ie. appears to be totally green stagnant water. While I am sure it is supposed to be natural mountain water, we couldn't work out where the inlet was for the supply and/or how it was kept clean. It looked a bit slimey! And we were surprised to see anyone go into it!

There is supposedly a gym, which I ventured to find but unfortunately it is in the basement. I travelled down in the lift and as all lights are on timings suddenly found myself plunged into total darkness, the lift having departed. The light from the lift button illuminated a corridor which looked like the entrance to a cave and suddenly I felt really panicked and a bit claustrophobic; started hammering on the lift button, which seemed to take ages to return.

True enough this was only my experience... and I am sure there are those who found the gym to be useful or even great. But the lights on timers is a real issue too as we quite often found that when stepping out of the lift you stepped into darkness and had to take a few steps before the sensor detected you. Likewise, when stepping in and out of the bedroom you either stepped into darkness and had to wave your arms for the sensor to find you before you locked up your bedroom (the lights go out when you take the key from a special lock). Likewise, when fumbling to open the bedroom door you'd be suddenly plunged into darkness.

Because of the oldness of the hotel there is no air con; which may not be needed most of the time but our stay happened to be during some of the hottest days and the rooms were stifling even if the balcony door was left open.

Had room service on our arrival and ate apple strudel and coffee on the balcony, which was lovely but then the leftover food and plates were not removed for two days.

Towels appear to be changed but the bedding, which crumpled very easily was not changed, which is a real shame considering the hot evenings!

Breakfast was varied and seemed very good. But I cannot comment really on the food as I very rarely eat breakfast. And staying at the hotel, we never really could smell the wonderful aroma of cooking on an evening.... hence, never felt compelled to look at the dinner menu.

Outside could do with more seating area at the back, which is mainly taken up by the green swimming pool.

The coffee/cake shop is very beautiful but a bit lacking in any cakes and/or any other choice of food ie. sandwiches or none sweet products for those who visit with cake eaters but don't want cake themselves!

On departure we learnt that there was no porter employed before 10.00am. While that was okaying for us... for the coach load of people departing at the same time it was complete bedlam. Some of the people were quite elderly and were left to struggle with cases on their own. I have a bad back so was limited to who I could help! I did hear the receptionist offer but she was smaller than most of the suitcases.

Having said that we would return to the hotel... mainly because it is very friendly; has much more of a boutique feeling, which we like and is quiet if you want somewhere more peaceful; also the views are some of the best in town.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear of the hotel advisable as they offer the best views of the mountain range. Avoid...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Sally E
Cardiff, South Wales
Reviewed 12 May 2013

We stayed here on 18 & 19 December and it has taken me almost six months to get round to writing this review and even now I still feel very strongly about our treatment by one individual at the hotel which spoiled our stay and means a return visit would never be likely.

Firstly the good points about the hotel. It is a beautiful building in an equally beautiful street. We stayed in the Sissi Suite and it was the most amazing room I have ever stayed in – traditional Bavarian with an ultra-modern, incredible bathroom. The breakfast was very good. The public areas in the hotel have lots of style.

The average points about the hotel. We had half-board and the food on the first night was good; the meal on the second night was of a very, very ordinary standard. I don’t like quick evening meals but the service on the second night was possibly the slowest I’ve ever had.

The bad experience. When I booked my stay via the hotel’s own website I had what appeared to be a very good value package – 2 nights half-board for 2 adults and 2 children in the Sissi Suite including a bottle of Champagne in the room and a single beauty treatment. When I received my confirmation it stated bed and breakfast. I emailed the hotel to query this and I received a reply to confirm it was in fact half-board. I then requested a new confirmation and this was received confirming half-board for 2 adults and 2 children.

The alarm bells started to ring at dinner on the first night when I had to ask for deserts for the children as nothing had been offered to them. The deserts were eventually received and when it came time to leave the restaurant I was presented with a bill for all the meals. When I queried this with the man in the restaurant (who was very good) he suggested I speak with the reception staff.

This was where it got worse. The lady on duty at reception told me I had only booked a stay with bed and breakfast. Luckily given my concerns at the time of making the reservation I had copies of all my confirmation details which I had to go and get from my room. She then agreed to waive the cost of the adult meals but said nothing could be done with the cost of the children’s meals. She said "the price you have paid is too cheap”. I explained that I would not be paying for their meals to which she replied that I would have to hope that the person in the hotel who issued the confirmation would be paying! She told me that she could not make a judgement and I would have to wait until the morning.

As bad as the attitude of this person was, the reception staff the following morning were totally the opposite. I again explained the situation; the person went to speak with someone and came back very promptly to confirm no additional cost would be made. This demonstrates that there is good staff at the hotel. This was further confirmed by their helpfulness when checking out.

Stay here if you want a traditional but smart hotel in a superb location. But don’t stay here for the quality of food and make sure you bring a copy of all your reservation details.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family