“Excellent find!”

Wittelsbacher Hof Swiss Quality Hotel
Reviewed 17 October 2010

We extended our stay in Garmisch because we liked this hotel so much! We arrived without a reservation, and were given a "small room" according to the desk clerk. It was delightful - painted a cheerful yellow, with room for two easy chairs and a small table along with two twin beds (pushed together) and two nightstands. The best part - a private balcony overlooking the garden area and the mountains. We were very happy with this room! Breakfast included eggs cooked to order, with an attentive serving staff . The reception staff were friendly and helpful. Afternoon tea was served from 4 - 6 p.m. and was a nice touch. The hotel was in easy walking distance for the Zugspitz train station and for the pedestrian/shopping/restaurant zone. We did not use the pool or sauna but they looked inviting and would be wonderful after a day of skiing. An all-round wonderful stay! Liked best - relaxing on the private balcony with the ever-changing mountain view, convenient location, friendliness of staff, comfortable room. Liked least - nothing!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 July 2010

We were a group of 9 staying at the Wittelsbacher Hoff after our visit to Oberammergau. We spent 5 nights there. We were delighted with the hotel, excellent service, beautiful food and very friendly staff. Would definately stay again if we were in the area.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank mascothouse
Reviewed 25 February 2010

I have been to Garmisch several times and while I have never had a bad stay, the Wittelsbacher was excellent. Between the pool/sauna, tea time and property, the stay with them as great. Our room was second floor overlooking the street but also the small river allowing for nice ambient sounds for sleep. The breakfast was great with very friendly and prompt service. Check in and out was a snap with very professional staff and the tea time from 1600-1800 was a nice touch and relaxing after a day on the slopes. Highly recommend if you want a classy and inexpensive stay. Also, very accepting of our dog (25kg).

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 October 2009

There were six of us (3 couples) traveling together. When booking this hotel I noticed that four of us could stay in a suite and each couple would still have our own bathroom and a separate entrance-so it was really 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and a short hall. The other couple got a double room that was very nice-but our price was better when we split the suite. All 3 rooms had wonderful views of the mountains and the rooms were quite spacious. Our room (1/2 of the suite) had a couch and coffee table and extra chair. (see pictures) Tea is served in the afternoon, there is a nice patio and a swimming pool too. They serve a very complete breakfast with big pots of homemade jams, breads, meats, juices, and eggs made to order in a charming dining room. Speaking of charming, the lobby and sitting areas are quirky, artsy and unique. The prices are good too. I think you will find this a great place.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lindaksmith
Reviewed 19 March 2009

We stayed for a family Christmas break but I slipped on the wet, marble steps in the sauna area on the first night. Unfortunately I severely bruised my hand which spoilt my holiday (skiing). What was particularly disappointing was that my concern over the obviously dangerous steps was dismissed. I am a fit, healthy guy who clearly bounces but I could imagine someone older and less 'bouncy' being very seriously injured.

My concern was dismissed, no apology or concern was expressed and I was made to feel unwelcome despite my care to be polite and non accusative. The Hotel manager/owner's response was arrogant and wrong. In the end, I was unable to fly (I am a pilot) for over 6 weeks because of this injury. A 'beware slippery steps' sign the wrong side of the door does not remove the danger I'm afraid.

Additionally, I felt the hotel was money-grabbing, the food was delicious but took ages to turn up (over 4 hours for one meal) and the decor uninspiring. From the inside, this hotel could have been anywhere in the world as there were few clues to it being in Bavaria.

We were charged for items we were told were free and the supplement of £200 for Christmas Eve, which I had assumed was for something special (music etc), simply went as a surcharge for being there on the day.

We booked two rooms and paid a supplement for one - which was OK but small. The other was clean but box-like and I have had better from a two star or less.

Overall, the general staff were excellent and the food very good but tiresome in delivery. The hotel was blandly decorated, the rooms tired, the management arrogant and dismissive, the atmosphere geriatric and poor value for money. The stairs in the sauna/pool area clearly dangerous as was perfectly demonstrated and the management showed little concern for the welfare of guests.

Not only would I not recommend this hotel to a friend, I would actually counsel against going there.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank Kevin E
Reviewed 2 November 2008

I was here with a group and those of us with renovated rooms liked this hotel a lot better than the people with the small broom closets that pass for rooms in the old section.
The renovated room had a nice bathrobe in the room, a fridge , decent TV channels and a very good sized bathroom. Pool is heated but small. Steam room/sauna is co-ed, so be prepared for nude guests of either sex to join you. Location is good except for the construction on the street. Internet is pricy at Euro 4 for 30 minutes and every hotel that charges userous internet rates will get a bad review from me as far as business facilities go. Dinner was excellent and dining room looks lovely.

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 26 September 2008

We stayed here 5 nights while in Garmisch for business and pleasure. I've wrangled over what I thought of it.

The location is excellent for browsing in central Garmisch, though there's currently construction down the street, making Von Brug strasse busy, dangerous and loud. That is a situation which will be resolved over the next months, though.

So,what's the problem? We had a lovely view and paid considerably more for a "larger" room. This, however, doesn't feel like a 4 star hotel. The attention to detail is lacking. It seems to not know what it wants to be and how it wants to be decorated. It's not Bavarian themed, but it's not Victorian, while kind of being both. The room decor is quite plain and unattractive, something you'd find in any decent 2-star. The walls are scarred and with running paint, look like an amateur painted them. The hotel needs a renovation to upgrade the elevator, room decor, pool area and all the interior common areas, including the steps to the spa area. It appears little attention has been paid for some years now. It's just fair with potential.

That said, the restaurant was great. The atmosphere was "old folks home", but the food was delicious. The breakfast was decent and it was nice to have freshly cooked eggs to order. The wait staff in the restaurant, dinner and breakfast, was wonderful and professional. The hotel staff was helpful, though a bit perfunctory. The beds were decent with cleaning done nicely each day. There's a small refrigerator and a very small sitting area. As a note, bring your own hairdryer.

Well, that's it. With so many other decent hotels and guest rooms in the Garmisch area, I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)