“Know before you go”

Mercure Hotel Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Virginia, USA
“Know before you go”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2009

The Mercure in Garmisch-Partenkirchen has a lot to offer. There are some things you need to either know or plan for in advance to make a good experience even better.

This hotel has a lot going for it. The staff is super friendly and helpful, and to me, they even went out of their way more when I offered to speak German with them. Additionally, the location is very good as well. I have visited Garmisch often and regularly stay at the Riessersee. The Riessersee has, IMHO, two drawbacks: the narrow winding road up the side of a mountain you have to drive to get there, and the dinner menu can be, at times, lacking. The Mercure is in the Partenkirchen section of Garmisch-Partenkirchen, at the head of the street that takes you right through the old part of town. That journey is wonderful, taking you by many excellent shops, bakeries and restaurants. Be sure to visit Backerei Sies, which is only a few doors away from the Mercure. They are magicians of bread, and you'll leave wondering what happened to bread-making in the United States. Personally, I took up bread-making because of my experiences in Germany and I haven't looked back. There is also a grocery store with its own backerei next to the hotel in the opposite direction (towards the main street).

The restaurant has plenty of Bavarian charm. The breakfast is fabulous, and no kidding - the Mercure has some of the best tasting fruit I've ever had. The bread selection is also very good - it makes you want to curse the junk offered at your local American supermarket. The evening fare is also very good, but can be a bit pricey. Be sure to look for the separate steak menu. The steaks are heavenly.

The room also has a Bavarian theme and charm to it. This can be very welcome given how many hotels feel the need to be "modern." In my room, there was something a akin to a "stammtisch" which can certainly make you feel like you're in a Gasthaus.

The views are also excellent. I had a beautiful view of the Alps, to include the Zugspitze, which were stunning at sunset.

There are a few things about the Mercure you need to know in advance so that you can plan accordingly. Inidividually, these are minor inconveniences, but taken together, they can add up to make a visit somewhat frustrating.

First, there is no in-room coffee capability, other than room service. Most of the hotels I've stayed at in Germany have this convenience, making the absence here stick out.

Second, there are no alam clocks in the room - another first. You can use the phone to set a wake up call, and the television has something of an alarm clock feature. Personally, I like the ability to hit the snooze button a few times, if I need it. The in-room phone eliminates the need for a snooze capability. Why? Because the ring would wake the dead.

Third, this is the first hotel I can remember staying in that did not have a Bible in the room. I didn't check to see if one was available at the desk, but I had also not packed one on the assumption that the typical three-language edition normally found in this region would be there.

Fourth, the hotel has a spa with massage services available. The Mercure also has a policy that is written in none of its spa literature and can lead to awkward moments because guests won't know in advance. That policy is that guests ordering full-body massages will only have that massage done by someone of the same sex. Apparently, there were some harrassment issues earlier - enough for the hotel to institute the policy that only men will massage men and only women will massage women. This is something the hotel needs to advise guests in advance.

Fifth, the only English-language channel available is CNN International (or, the "Blame America First and Always" Network). There are a couple of premium channels (to the tune of Euro 12.90 per event or feature), one if which carried soccer. The same channel, as I recall, is included in the room price at the Riessersee.

Sixth, you have to ask for complimentary newspaper delivery. I don't know whether USA Today is one of the papers available, but even when I did request a morning paper, one wasn't delivered. Then again, I only found out the the hotel had complimentary newspapers the night before check-out.

If your room includes the local tourist tax fee, be sure to ask for the tourist card that you're entitled to. It's good for discounts for a lot of area attractions.

Staying on the Partenkirchen side has a lot going for it, and I will consider staying at the Mercure again - especially knowing what (and what not) to expect.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Surprises that should not have been
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank DrJerry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Richmond, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

This hotel is a twenty or so minute walk from the station, but once we had checked in we were given a piece of paper saying we had paid a local hotel/tourist tax. The hotel explained that this allowed for free bus travel within Garmisch-Partenkirchen, so that was welcome.

The room we had was a little old, but the most important thing is that is was clean (and fairly spacious). The staff were friendly and helpful, helping me hire a car and also giving me directions to towns in the region and neighbouring Austria.

The breakfast was fantastic - plenty of food and a good variety, from European breads, meats, cheeses and preserves, to a 'continental' cooked breakfast, and freshly squeezed fruit juices and delicious yoghurts. We had one evening meal in the hotel as well, and it was good local fare.

When travelling, it is the little things that make a difference and stick with you. We stayed here during the Feast of St Nicholas, and as is tradition in Germany, we awoke to find a little bag of chocolate outside our room in the morning. Normally, German children would leave their shoes outside the door to get the chocolate. We didn't do that but they still left us a little something. Not expecting it so it was a nice touch.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Naniwa
Fayetteville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2008

I had the opportunity to stay at this property in May of 2008, and overall I was impressed. I had a comfortable room on the end of the hallway, and although there was at least one somewhat noisy family on that hallway, I did not notice it in my room. Overall, the room was nice. The bed was comfortable, there was a little sitting area by the window, and the shower worked well. The hotel also has a very good restaurant on the grounds with a nice outdoor biergarten. I was there for the white spargel season, and it was very delicious at the hotel restaurant. The Mercure is a good distance from the main train station, but there is a bus stop close to the hotel, and you are provided with a bus pass when you check in that allows you to ride for free. Oh, and a free internet terminal right by the check in desk.

One small gripe, though. I did not want breakfast at the 17 euro price tag, and I told them so at check in. The check in lady added it anyway (she thought that I might change my mind I guess), and I had to tell them again at check out to take it off my bill. There is a grocery store and café right next door…breakfast of coffee and a croissant was 4 euro.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2008

My sister and I stayed at this hotel for two nights in mid-May 2006. We had reserved a couple days earlier on their web-site, and check in was prompt and courteous. The desk clerk helpfully pointed out routes to pedestrian areas in both Garmisch (a half hour walk) and Partenkirchen (about three minutes from the hotel). So for the next couple of days, we just parked the car in the hotel’s parking lot (no charge) and walked.
The room was adequately sized, very clean and comfortable, as was the bathroom. We had a lovely view of the mountain. Off the lobby was complimentary access to the internet and a printer.
Breakfast wasn’t included in the price and was rather expensivey, so we went to the nearby bakery.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2006, travelled with family
Wisconsin USA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2007

Our Travel Agent booked this reservation in February of 2007 for the period between Christmas and New Year's 2007.
Four weeks prior to our arrival, our Travel Agent received an email from this hotel stating that the conditions of the reservation had changed (due to a mistake on the hotel's part) and the price had almost doubled due to this mistake. She was given 4 days to contact us to either accept these changed conditions/pricing or cancel the reservation. Our travel agent phoned this hotel from the USA and was basically told "take it or leave it".
Is this the way they do business? This is criminal in the extreme. I travel for business all over the world and have never been given an ultimatum like this one...."Take our conditions or leave it, even though it was the hotels mistake?????????" This hotel knows that it can get away with something as low down as this as there are no hotel rooms available, anywhere in the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area, during this period ,at this late a date. Of course, this shoots that 4 day part of our vacation out the window.
Complained to Accor Hotels, their corporate, and have not even received the courtesy of a reply.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jumper853

Travellers are raving about these Garmisch-Partenkirchen hotels

southampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2007

We are a family of 5 so we find hotel rooms dificult to accommodate us. However,although the room was relatively small,we were all comfortable. The room was really clean,the staff very helpful and the buffet breakfast fabulous [ free for our 3 children.]The spa area and pool were very clean and quiet. There was no aircon but as the evenings were cool this was not a problem. We would definately stay again.
I.P from Southampton U.K

• Liked — breakfast and pool
  • Disliked — no aircon
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
Bochum, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2007

This hotel was okay. I am not sure how it was a 4 star place, especially having stayed in nicer places on this journey that were only 3 star. That being said, it was very cheap so I suppose we shouldn’t have expected too much. The biggest problem was that it was very hot when we were there and there was no A/C or fans. It was cooler in Italy than it was here and there even the 2 star place had A/C! Other than that, the room was nice, fairly large, there was a little sitting area, the bed was okay, the bathroom was small, but at least there was a bath as well a showerhead so we could take a cool bath at the end of the day. The breakfast wasn’t included in our rate but it was very good, and there was a great deal of things to choose from. The hotel bar was nice, and the bar staff was very friendly and made good cocktails. The hotel was near many bars and restaurants so there was plenty of options of where to eat and drink. The train station was within walking distance and there was a bus as well that stopped nearby.

• Liked — Breakfast and location
  • Disliked — too hot
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple