“Friendly staff, good but nothing special.”

Gasthof Fraundorfer
Ipswich
“Friendly staff, good but nothing special.”
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I booked Gasthof Fraundofer on the strength of some of the reviews here and I got what I expected and family run hotel.

We were welcomed at the reception desk, which doubles as the serving hatch for the kitchen, by the daughter of the mother and daughter duo who run the guesthouse.
She was very friendly and spoke good English. She did have me worried though, when we gave our name she looked my husband up and down and got another room key. It turned out that at 6 foot 4 (1.93 meters) she was worried he wouldn't fit into to room booked for us as it was under the eaves! Therefore we were given the choice of two rooms. The original one was much bigger so we opted for that, but both rooms looked nice. The mother showed us the way to the rooms in the annex lending us umbrellas as we had arrived during a thunderstorm.

Our room was in guesthouse Barbara and was one half of the attic space.
The room was well kitted out with a large double bed, bedside tables with lights, TV, sofa, chest of drawers, wardrobe and table and chairs. We had windows looking out over three sides with a view of the mountains from two.
The room was very clean although in need of an update. Nothing major, just the fabrics looked a little tired and dated.
The bathroom was clean and all in working order although it was clearly an 80s bathroom suite with red fittings. Sadly the hair drier didn't work and had I been staying any longer I would have mentioned it.
The rooms were very quiet and the bed comfortable.

We ate in the hotel on the first night. We are both vegetarian, which is not easy in Bavaria so we were pleased to see a couple a vegetarian dishes on the menu. The restaurant was OK, with a man playing the accordion and boys doing a traditional dance. The food was nothing special but I dare say the meat is better, it looked good. I would recommend guests book as there were a lot of people turned away at the door.
Breakfast was good with a great selection of cereals, muesli, yoghurt, meat, cheese, tea, coffee and fruit.
There was also a bottle of water and a selection of fruit in our room but I wasn't sure if they were included in the price so I didn't eat them. I would suggest this is made clear, a small note saying 'with compliments' would do.
There was free wifi which was fast enough but didn't reach to the back of our room so we had to sit at the table and chairs. However to have any wifi at all is great so I don't mind.

The second night was a Tuesday so the restaurant was closed. We had had a big lunch so sat outside Gasthof Drei Mohren, which also did vegetarian food, and had a drink in the evening.

In all I think that is is important to remember that Gasthof Fraundorfer is a family run hotel which is run by two incredibly hard working women. They served dinner and breakfast and never seemed to stop working. Yes it is a little tatty round some of the edges but has great charm I think they do a fantastic job. If you want bland go to the Mercure.
For what I paid I was happy.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank liveinaryokan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 30 July 2010

We had fun at the restaurant. They have great food and an extensive bar... Plus music and dancing. They had the best Radler (half lemonade/half beer) that I had in Bavaria.

There is no air conditioning, and it got pretty hot. I heard that it is unusually hot throughout Bavaria this summer, though.

There is free parking and free internet (accessible only downstairs in the restaurant). A huge Bavarian breakfast was included in our rate, and it was impressive.

We stayed both here and at the Forsthaus Graseck, and I have to say that I prefer the Forsthaus Graseck because of the beautiful scenery. If we go back, we will stay there and just go to Gasthof Fraundorfer for dinner/entertainment.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yobethany
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
Reviewed 29 July 2010

The service and management are exceptional.

However there are far better places to say. Gasthof Fraundorfer is also way over priced.
Have been going to Garmisch at annually for over 10 years.

Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
North Lincolnshire, UK
Reviewed 4 July 2010

We stayed in June 2010 as a base for a visit to the Passion Play in Oberammergau. We loved everything about our stay.

Barbara met us as we arrived to direct us into the car park after a late arrival into Munich airport. We were showed to our rooms straight away, the paperwork waited until the following morning.

We had two double rooms to the front of the guesthouse, both with balconies and stunning views of the Alps. We also had a twin room overlooking the rear of the guest house with a huge shared balcony area.

Breakfast was excellent, with a large selection of cereals, fruit, cheeses, meats, baskets of bread, various teas, coffee, juice etc. Try the scrambled egg, or a boiled egg for a little something extra...

We ate in the guesthouse on our last night and the steak was superb. The beer liqueur is also a must try, I've not tried anything like it before. The live music and dancing was also excellent.

If you fancy a break in a traditional guesthouse with friendly staff and good food, then you don't have to look any further than this.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank PC&JC
atlanta
Reviewed 25 June 2010

We visited last week for two nights. We booked the apartment in the Guesthouse Barbara for the three of us. The apartment was lovely with two separate bedrooms, kitchen/dining area, a full bathroom and a second separate WC. The apartment had updated furnishings, comfortable beds and a strong shower. It had plenty of room for the three of us and was cozy and warm.

It was cold and raining while we were there so my teenage daughter would have been completely happy to spend the whole time curled up on the large padded window seat in the kitchen with her laptop using the free wifi. The wifi worked faster than ours at home so I'm not sure what the previous poster's complaints were about concerning this.

The free buffet breakfast had everything you could ask for: meats, cheeses, many choices of yogurts, cereals and breads and about 10 different types of jams. There was also home baked apple strudel and other desserts on the buffet. Even if you like boiled eggs you should try Ms. Barbara's scrambled eggs with chives. They were delicious and I normally don't like chives.

We ate dinner twice in the restaurant and my husband said his meal was the absolute best of the entire trip which also included several great restaurants in Paris. My trout was also very good. If it's in season also try the asparagus soup. We greatly enjoyed the accordion player and the young boys who did the German slap dancing. It was great fun and entertaining.

I will definitely stay here again if I'm back in the area.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank soona99
Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I stayed here for two nights, in mid May 2010, before going to the Passion Play in Oberammergau. It makes a wonderful base for exploring Bavaria.
Barbara and her staff were very welcoming, provided great service and were always helpful when asked for guidance on catching buses, booking a taxi etc.
My room was quaint and cute. Small, but very comfortable. The bathroom looked like it had been renovated just before I got there. Very modern and pretty. Bedroom and bathroom were both very clean. The heating in the bedroom worked well and kept me comfortable.
I had dinner in the restaurant both evenings. The food was very good and the servings were huge. Service was excellent. It was fun to have the Bavarian music and dancing.
I thought the breakfast spread looked great even before I was asked for my choice of eggs.. I had the delicious scrambled eggs with chives, but if you order a boiled egg you’ll get a little extra surprise!
This hotel is a perfect base for exploring Bavaria and or for a night or two before starting a package to the Passion Play.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
Aboyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2010

Rooms were average.

Food was good.

Ambience was dreadful - a coach party of US tourists of the "If this is Tuesday it must be Bavaria" variety, thumping their beer glasses to some execrable accordionist playing what he thought was their kind of music. Ughhhhhhh.

Check-out was a nightmare with untrained staff incapable of reversing a credit card transaction which had been put through in my home currency against my wishes.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple