My family (husband, daughter (12), son (9) and I) stayed here for three nights (there is discount for staying 3+ nights) in early December, and each of us agreed we would return in a heartbeat!
We had a lovely third-floor room with a kitchenette and table, living area and bedroom all combined in one large area. The beamed ceiling followed the slant of the rooftop, and the balcony view was magnificent! Snow-peaked mountains everywhere! The children slept on cots, which were already set up when we arrived, allowing the four of us to share one room, which isn't always possible when traveling in Europe.
The spa/pool area was very nice, with lots of natural light and an excellent jetted hot tub. The pool is filled with "living water" (still not sure if that's good or bad), and has a jet at one end for "lap swimming" in place. My kids, both swimmers, loved this feature, and had fun seeing who could be propelled the farthest from the jet!
Be aware that this is not your average American hotel pool area: It is meant to be a quiet respite, so the kids have to play more quietly in the water (which was fine with my kids, as they were pretty tired out by the end of each day, anyway), and know that nudity in public is not taboo. (An older gentleman changed out of his swimsuit right on the pool deck, but my kids were too busy to notice.) If you use the sauna, be sure to shower first and always sit or lay on a towel, whether you choose to wear a swimsuit or not.
The quiet young women at the check-in desk spoke English in varying degrees, so having a basic grasp of German is helpful. They were friendly and accomodating, and helped me arrange a massage at the spa for the following evening. (We were also given a €10 spa discount upon checking in.) My masseuse, Sandra (sp?) was excellent! Though tipping is not expected, I did leave one, as she really helped alleviate the back pain I was having.
The location of the hotel is perfect, on a quiet side street within and easy walk to downtown shopping, the Christkindlmarkt, restaurants and even the Zugspitze train. It is also an easy drive to Ettal and Schloss Linderhof, and would make an excellent base for many other day trips.
Although we did not eat at the hotel restaurant, we visited the cozy bar area on our last evening and ate Tapas-style, ordering several of the soups and dishes to share, which worked out perfectly, even if the wait staff was a little confused by our actions.
If you are looking for the quintessential Alpine hotel to compliment your stay in GaPa, definitely book a room at Hotel Zugspitze.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You will experience an atmosphere of security that we have created with heart and warmth for you. Immerse yourself in a unique natural area where a gigantic mountain scenery, meet crystal clear lakes and pristine forests with variety of sports and leisure activities, international cultural activities and a lot of tradition. In this fascinating holiday world we await you with the warmest and most natural employees who are there for you personally and your well-being Let yourself treat by our AlmWell team with massage and cosmetics therapies in our spa area. Pool, Whirlpool and steaming room as well as Sauna invite for more relaxing. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Hotel.de, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Zugspitze reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Zugspitze Hotel Garmisch Partenkirchen
- Hotel Zugspitze Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany - Bavaria