“Lovely Hotel for Family Stay”
Review of Hotel Zugspitze

Hotel Zugspitze
East Aurora, New York
“Lovely Hotel for Family Stay”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

My family (husband, daughter (12), son (9) and I) stayed here for three nights (there is discount for staying 3+ nights) in early December, and each of us agreed we would return in a heartbeat!

We had a lovely third-floor room with a kitchenette and table, living area and bedroom all combined in one large area. The beamed ceiling followed the slant of the rooftop, and the balcony view was magnificent! Snow-peaked mountains everywhere! The children slept on cots, which were already set up when we arrived, allowing the four of us to share one room, which isn't always possible when traveling in Europe.

The spa/pool area was very nice, with lots of natural light and an excellent jetted hot tub. The pool is filled with "living water" (still not sure if that's good or bad), and has a jet at one end for "lap swimming" in place. My kids, both swimmers, loved this feature, and had fun seeing who could be propelled the farthest from the jet!

Be aware that this is not your average American hotel pool area: It is meant to be a quiet respite, so the kids have to play more quietly in the water (which was fine with my kids, as they were pretty tired out by the end of each day, anyway), and know that nudity in public is not taboo. (An older gentleman changed out of his swimsuit right on the pool deck, but my kids were too busy to notice.) If you use the sauna, be sure to shower first and always sit or lay on a towel, whether you choose to wear a swimsuit or not.

The quiet young women at the check-in desk spoke English in varying degrees, so having a basic grasp of German is helpful. They were friendly and accomodating, and helped me arrange a massage at the spa for the following evening. (We were also given a €10 spa discount upon checking in.) My masseuse, Sandra (sp?) was excellent! Though tipping is not expected, I did leave one, as she really helped alleviate the back pain I was having.

The location of the hotel is perfect, on a quiet side street within and easy walk to downtown shopping, the Christkindlmarkt, restaurants and even the Zugspitze train. It is also an easy drive to Ettal and Schloss Linderhof, and would make an excellent base for many other day trips.

Although we did not eat at the hotel restaurant, we visited the cozy bar area on our last evening and ate Tapas-style, ordering several of the soups and dishes to share, which worked out perfectly, even if the wait staff was a little confused by our actions.

If you are looking for the quintessential Alpine hotel to compliment your stay in GaPa, definitely book a room at Hotel Zugspitze.

Room Tip: Ask for a third floor suite with balcony.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This is a sweet hotel in the midst of town. In my room was an invite for a glass of sparkling wine in the charming little bistro downstairs. The sekt was very good, and was offered with complimentary nuts and pretzels. My room was cozy, with a generous free mini bar filled with large bottlles of soft-drinks and local beer. The in-room espresso maker was terrific. (I have the same brand at home!) I looked at the pool and sauna area, and they seemed nice, but I was too tired to partake. Breakfast was really excellent, with local dairy products, and plenty of choices. All-around a good place, adjacent to all the activities you came here for.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Boston
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Hi booked a room in this hotel for 3 nights on a Tuesday morning because I planned to attend a conference in Garmish. Unfortunately, due to health problems I had to cancel my trip the day after and I sent immediately an email to the hotel canceling my reservation on Wednesday night, two full days after I booked. The hotel charged me 80% cancellation fee. The police says that if you cancel within a week before your stay they will charge you 80%. I totally understand this policy but 1) they had the room booked only for two days and I checked myself they had other rooms available 2) is there a different policy for those who book their room less than a week before they stay? in the policy they talk about cancellation within 6 weeks, 4 weeks etc, but nothing about booking the week before the stay. I think that such a high class hotel should be a bit flexible with the customers, specially if the customer specify the reason for which could not travel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FraBos
KY
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Actually we are still staying at the Hotel Zugspitze - the Intrernet connection is free and very fast.

We did not know what to expect when we checked in but when we opened the door to the Zugspitze Suite, we said WOW! We have stayed in the finest properties in the U.S. and Europe and this "room with a view" definitely compares to the best of the best. We have two separate bedrooms, two immaculate marble bathrooms, a large family room, a dining area, a kitchen and most of all..... a 40' wide balcony facing the mountains. Absolutely incredible!

The Hotel Zugspitze features a very nice location about a block from the heart of the Garmisch shopping district. Yet, the property is just far enough away to feel quiet and secluded. The Zugspitze Suite is at the rear of the building and even farther from any sound from the restaurant or street noise.

This is our fourth trip to Europe with family and I must say this one is a hotel to remember.

About Garmisch: A great little tourist town with a view of the mountains in every direction. We are visiting during the first week of October and the weather is changing every day. When we arrived, there were people sunbathing. The next morning there was snow on the mountains. The moral of the story?.... If the weather is clear..... seize the opportunity and go up on the mountain.

Nearby restaurants: About a block away is the Zum-Wildschuetz restaurant. Go there for dinner. If you can, stop by in the afternoon for a reservation - it is a popular place - and for good reason.

The Hotel Zugspitze does not wear you out with pretentious service, overdressed doormen, etc. It offers everything we needed, an immaculate room, a great view and great service without all the fuss. The Zugspitze Suite is a great accommodation for a family of four or two couples.

Room Tip: Spend the money for a large 3rd floor suite. Not all that expensive when you consider what you are g...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Robthefarmer
Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2011

The lady at reception, Marlene, was so lovely that she got our stay off to a good start. Everything was perfect: big room, free broadband, stunning views of the mountains.
We particularly enjoyed breakfast in their warm and inviting dining room.
The chef just happened to be in the lobby when I was trying to figure out how to connect my lap top to the Ethernet cable and plug it into a power source. He went and brought me an extension cord with a double plug which solved the problem perfectly.
This was typical of the caring attitude which we experienced.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank boundary
Reviewed 5 September 2011

location: a few steps to the center. supermatket is only 30 seconds walking distance.
service: very clean, the rooms are spacious with large balcony, friendly cooperating staff.
food: breakfast buffet was the only drawback. we were nt allowed to sit in the tables next to the windows while it remained unoccupied. the breakfast options were limited.
a bit over priced

• Stayed August 2011
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Staff were extremely helpful & friendly. Rooms were spacious, clean & comfortable with large balconies.
Location was very close to main shopping area & restaurants.
Actually, we had our best meal in 3 days in the hotel. WIFI in lobby area only.

• Stayed July 2011