“MILITARY HOTEL”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Edelweiss Lodge and Resort
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We now have stayed here for 3 nights. The rooms are nothing to get excited about. Food on site skip it. There are so many places to eat outside the gate, so go for it! But for military families there is something for everyone including kids!

Room Tip: Just ask to be facing the mountains. And try to get the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Becky W
There are newer reviews for Edelweiss Lodge and Resort

Reviewed 10 June 2012

The Edelweiss (Military) Lodge and Resort in Garmisch-Partenkirchen is a great vacation destination for families or couples. It offers just about everything you could possibly want in a hotel from great restaurants to tours, shopping, activities, huge indoor pool and spa. There are mountain bikes to rent and carriers if you want to take the little ones on an adventure. The setting at the foot of the Zugspitz is incredible.

We were able to take advantage of their $99 Spring Special. When we arrived, the friendly and helpful staff informed us that since they weren't full, we were getting a free upgrade to a better room at no cost to us. Our room was huge, with two queen beds, a queen sleeper sofa, small kitchenette area with coffeemaker, sink, and refrigerator. The bathroom was large with two shower areas and a double vanity. We also had a balcony with table and chairs and a beautiful view. The Lodge also has a separate area on the property with camping cabins.

Check the website before you go for specials offered throughout the year.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sailorsgirl
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We recently completed a 17 day vacation in the Bavarian Alps. We stayed at the Edelweiss in Garmisch- Partenkirchen, The accomodations were excellent and we were able to take advantage of many of their tours. We also toured with Jake Docherty, Everything Garmisch,He was an excellent knowledgeable guide who really knew his German history. We love the country and its wonderfull, friendly citizens. Hannelore Hettinger

Room Tip: 3rd floor room facing the Alps
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank LoliBuffalo_NY
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We loved there, the rooms are very clean, gorgeous view to the mountains, kid friendly, and you can choose from 3 restaurants. We are coming back for summer and winter too.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank SandyJorge
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This place had the best views of the Bavarian Alps one could imagine! I stayed here with my extended family and we each had our own room. The rooms are american sized which was great after spending a prior weekend in a relatively small Berlin hotel. Great for families with children, couples, large families, etc. Very affordable as well considering the prime destination and close to Austria if you want to go on the other side of the Zugspitz.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ML04
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I recently stayed here with my extended family in one of the loft suites and had a great time. I honestly wasn't expecting much considering the price we paid but I was blown away by the overall service and value of the hotel. The hotel is in a great location right across the street from the rest of the base (including the commissary, PX, etc.) and within walking distance to the rest of Garmisch, the train, and numerous trails. There are three options for food at the hotel that are open at different times throughout the day. The food is VERY reasonably priced compared to the restaurants out in town but it's American food and won't satisfy your cravings for true German cuisine! I will say that Pullman's had the best food overall and that it's worth the extra few bucks to eat there over the other two restaurants (be sure to try their jagerschnitzel and apple strudel - you won't be disappointed). With regard to the room it was incredibly clean with gorgeous views of the mountains. We had two bedrooms and two bathrooms that could have easily slept 6 people. My only complaint was that the bedding was terrible and old -- luckily we saw the hotel staff replacing all of them on our last day. I’m happy to know that there will be comfortable bedding during my next stay!

A few comments –
1) Almost all of the employees at the hotel speak English and most of the ones we encountered were actually Americans living abroad on work visas. So don’t worry about the language barrier at the hotel, it doesn’t exist.
2) The hotel uses the USD as their main currency and there is some type of loss when you use euros at the hotel (I’m not sure why but the employees were honest with us and told us that we would get a better deal using USD instead of euros for purchases on property). Only exchange what you think you will need outside of your hotel expenses or exchange an amount of money above the threshold for the free exchange back to USD (I believe it’s $500).
3) I constantly try to find the best bargains for gifts and I will tell you that the gift shops at the hotel are the best deals in town, even better than the PX, especially for cuckoo clocks. They will also wrap your gifts carefully to avoid them breaking on your flight home. They even offered to ship our items back to the states for us for an extra charge.
4) If you want beer and don’t want to pay outlandish prices then walk across the street to the PX and purchase a case of beer and store it in your room fridge. They have a program on base where you receive a credit for returning your case and bottles for recycling (I believe it was $7 per case).
5) Take advantage of the tours but don’t go overboard! During our week-long stay went on three tours during and I think they were all absolutely worth it, especially the Neuschwanstein tour and the Munich tour. I suggest going on a few tours but don’t forget how much there is to see and do in Garmisch without taking a tour. You can catch the train to the top of the Zugspitze, hike to the gorge, experience a festival downtown, or even explore surrounding lakes. You might think that you want to take a tour every day that you are there but believe me, it was incredibly refreshing to not be on a tour bus and just explore!

Overall it was an excellent experience and I am excited to return next time I’m traveling through Europe. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank bellson88
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I love this spot of the world. Absolutely beautiful any time of the year! I spent the whole week and the total cost for everything was $750 USD! Ski the Zugspitz and stop on the way down to enjoy a brat and the best beer in the world German Dunkelweiss! It's dark (but not black like Guiness) rich, and sweet! Large outdoor jacuzzi and the staff is very friendly! I traveled in January 2008.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms facing the mountain. Where you check in the best rooms are right above you facing t...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo