We had a very bad experience at the Edelweiss. Upon our arrival, they said they did not have our reservations (we were with another couple), then found ours, but not theirs which was very odd as she had made the reservations and used her credit card! When we got to our room, it was warm and stuffy and we could not find the a/c switch, so I called the desk and asked. The woman who answered told me they had no air conditioning, but that there was a fan in the room (this was late September). Being stunned that a fairly new lodge wouldn't have been built without central air, I asked why and was told that it was against the German law. Thinking that was odd, I asked someone else the next day and they said it was NOT against a German law, but they didn't need air there. They definitely need air!! The first evening there, we had to eat at the restaurant in the basement. It was very loud due to all the children there. It was not an evening dining experience by any stretch of the imagination. We have kids and grandkids, but they know how to behave when out in public. Many of these children did not. We ate the rest of our meals in town and found many wonderful restaurants. Kids were everywhere at the lodge and we couldn't get away from them to have some quiet, adult time. We even started eating our breakfast out in the hall where there were a few tables to get away from all the noise and drama that was going on. We would not stay there again and unless you have kids with you, this is not a place for adults who enjoy being with and doing adult things. We even took to sitting outside the basement restaurant where there were a few chairs when we would have a drink later at night. The Pullman Restaurant was not open except on weekends. We had been told that was a very nice restaurant. The food for both the breakfast and basement restaurant was passable, but not that great. They also "lost" all 4 of our reservations for the trip to Munich for October Fest. We did have two very helpful people there, but many of the staff need to be trained to do a better job.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Long revered as one of the most desirable destinations in the Bavarian Alps, the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area is an idyllic location nestled at the foot of sweeping Alpine vistas and home to the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort. Just 56 miles from Munich, 34 miles from Innsbruck, the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort is located in the heart of Europe. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Edelweiss Hotel Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Edelweiss Resort Garmisch Partenkirchen
- Edelweiss Lodge And Resort Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany - Bavaria