“A taste of America in the German Alps”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Edelweiss Lodge and Resort
Fairfax Station, Virginia
“A taste of America in the German Alps”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Everyone told us to try out Edelweiss. I can say we were not disappointed. Large spacious rooms with furniture you would expect in a resort lodge. We will definitely come back again . . . book early otherwise you won't get time during the school breaks.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a mountain view and I've heard it is best to avoid a room near the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank C_Brina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Bellevue, Nebraska
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

My family and I came to Garmisch the first time in 2012. We were told to stay at a place in the town and not at the resort. We regretted every day we were here not being at the resort. There is so much more convenience and comfort staying at the AFRC than at any downtown place!

We planned to come back and stay at the resort and have been nothing but thrilled with our stay from the moment we walked inside to check in! Comfortable spacious rooms, AFN (tv's off base get only German stations), restaurants and gift shops on the property, ATM in the lobby that will take your US card and give you dollars OR Euros back, washers and dryers, a gym, indoor pool, gift shops, tours that leave from the hotel property, game room for the kids, movie area for kids, super big lobby, and free wifi throughout every inch of this place! (Our last time to Garmisch at the other hotel we had to go down the hallway to pick up the wifi signal.)

Sure you can stay other places for less money, but not for all that you get here! It's WORTH every penny! I got a massage while I was here and it was divine!

One last bit of advice...No matter where you stay, DON'T stay at the resort or your hotel the whole time. Get out and drive around this gorgeous area. Take a trip to Neuschwanstein, or Lindhof Palace. The drive alone there is worth it! You cannot imagine how gorgeous this part of Germany is! And make reservations for your dinners!! That way you don't end up having to wait after a day of sightseeing and everyone's hungry and tired.

Hope you enjoy your stay here! We sure did!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Kimberly D
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I am going to point what my family experienced. Very spacious rooms with nice furniture. First floor with access to an open garden area. Terrible pillows, comfortable mattress, one of the bed sheets was torn up.
1) Quality of food at the Market Station Restaurant - salty, pricey, small variety for a so called "resort". Very few options for a vegetarian and gluten intolerant. At the Zuggy's Base Camp, my husband ordered "macho nachos" and it was the worst melted cheddar cheese he ever had.
2) Room service - we stayed for 4 nights. For 2 days we didn't need room service but on our second day our dirty cups/plates/food weren't taken away during the cleaning which was disgusting. Also the room service didn't replace the soap so late at night we had to request new soaps to take a shower.
3) Unhappy employees. I noticed most of employees were not so friendly and working in a happy environment. I noticed several employees eating at the breakfast buffet which I thought it was kind a weird because I had to wait in a line to get an omelet in front of 3 employees (I know that because they were talking to each other and making comments about their work schedule). I don't mind waiting but I've never experienced such a thing. My family also sat in a table for breakfast near a table full of employees (women) and they were the whole time making comments about their schedule, working experiences and co-workers which I also felt inappropriate and awkward.
4) Change machines near the game room. My children wanted to play games but no coin machines or change machines available nearby the game room. My husband had to figure out how to exchange his 10 bill and we couldn't use the machines for small children because we weren't able to break our bills in coins.
5) Playground. I traveled with 2 small children during spring and the weather was great for outdoor activities. While inside the hotel we didn't have any places nearby (surround the hotel) to take the kids to play. I had to drive to Riessersee lake so they could enjoy a playground.
6) Children's pool. My children went to the pool only once because my 4 year old which can swim and go underwater was annoyed by the fact he had to wear life jackets while in the pool with his father. He felt super limited and wanted to get out. My husband also didn't want to go back to the pool because he didn't want to have to deal with a child feeling annoyed by the fact he couldn't swim and go underwater.
We loved the area, lakes, views, mountains and castle.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Travel L
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We spent two nights here and enjoyed it. The rooms are spacious with all the American amenities. Parking is free. The hotel is about a 20 minute walk into town; however, it's a pleasant walk since the terrain is flat and the colorful homes are nice to look at. The location on the edge of town is convenient for getting in and out by car. Unfortunately the hotel can get noisy with kids and young soldiers partying in their rooms at night. Next time we'll ask for a room in a quiet location. However, we enjoyed the liveliness of the hotel and the staff was very friendly. We liked the selection of restaurants and especially enjoyed the champagne brunch. Already looking forward to our next visit to this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K C
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This is a great resort with so much to do!! A must for those stationed in Germany! DO NOT miss this opportunity. I would love to go back. The room is great, the food is great, all in all just a great time.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank bsf80
Coronado, California
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is our second time staying at Edelweiss. If you are looking for a bit of "American home away from home" this is the place. We stayed over the children's spring break- allowing them to see many of their friends from school. The rooms are spacious and clean. The location is great, close to ski slopes and the town. The restaurant is average, prices are great if you have children 12 and under, otherwise the food is nothing exceptional(for the buffet restaurant). I recommend eating out in town because there are so many terrific places to eat while in Germany. But, as I said if you are looking for a little taste of the states, then this should satisfy you and your wallet. Staying here provides all the amenities you need, they are able to set up tours for you and your family, there is an indoor pool and outdoor hot tub(even has adult hours in the evening), and several dining options. What really stood out for us this trip is the customer service. Two days our room was not cleaned adequately, however the manager handled this quite professionally and was right on top of correcting the situation. Overall a fun stay and I would recommend if you are missing home a bit, wanting to speak English yet still enjoy visiting Germany.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank muchtocee
Trier, Germany
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I always stay at Edelweiss when in the Garmisch area. Maybe because I feel exclusive being a military member or maybe because it is just a cool place. A little pricey but it is a resort after all! I dont recommend eating there as there are much better places around the town. Go experience the Bavarian food!! Very comfortable beds and just all around a great place. The slopes are only 2 min up the road as well. Have fun at Edelweiss!

Room Tip: The staff also live in the hotel so if you want to party, stay in their wing. If you want quiet, go...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends