“Nice Hotel, Terrible Food”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Edelweiss Lodge and Resort
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel, Terrible Food”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The staff were attentive and helpful. Rooms are spacious and clean. The food was terrible, salt, salt and even more salt. This is a little bit of America in Bavaria so be warned as a European visiting I was expecting to use Euros but no, this place uses US Dollars. On our last night there the only place to drink was the downstairs bar. This had Karaoke night. Some people may have been happy to hear their kids screeching out some song or other until midnight but not us. As a group of us all relaxing on the last night of a business trip it was a nightmare.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mead0wville

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We needed some time away and this was perfect. First time staying in an "Army Resort' but it was way better than I was expected. The grounds are immaculate, and you can tell there was no expense spared on the buildings and restaurants. The location is perfect, right at the base of Zuggspitz, with easy access to everything the area has to offer. Wish we could have gone there a few more times!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CrazyAirborne
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This Resort is just beautiful. It's surrounded by the mountains and we were blessed with a snowfall during the night on our first night there and woke up to views that we had never seen. There is a buffet breakfast, I would suggest it, the food was excellent and they have an omelet station where you can choose your ingredients and have an omelet made for you. Yum! The staff is excellent and the price was very good. For three adults and two children (1,5) it was $30. They have a swimming pool, hot tub, and gym. Plus the many local shops and eateries to visit. they also offer many activities for an additional charge. It is truly a beautiful place to stay and a has a friendly staff. If you are in the area I would definitely recommend staying here. You won't be sorry.

3 Thank glipham
Fairfax Station, Virginia
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Everyone told us to try out Edelweiss. I can say we were not disappointed. Large spacious rooms with furniture you would expect in a resort lodge. We will definitely come back again . . . book early otherwise you won't get time during the school breaks.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a mountain view and I've heard it is best to avoid a room near the...
3 Thank C_Brina
Bellevue, Nebraska
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

My family and I came to Garmisch the first time in 2012. We were told to stay at a place in the town and not at the resort. We regretted every day we were here not being at the resort. There is so much more convenience and comfort staying at the AFRC than at any downtown place!

We planned to come back and stay at the resort and have been nothing but thrilled with our stay from the moment we walked inside to check in! Comfortable spacious rooms, AFN (tv's off base get only German stations), restaurants and gift shops on the property, ATM in the lobby that will take your US card and give you dollars OR Euros back, washers and dryers, a gym, indoor pool, gift shops, tours that leave from the hotel property, game room for the kids, movie area for kids, super big lobby, and free wifi throughout every inch of this place! (Our last time to Garmisch at the other hotel we had to go down the hallway to pick up the wifi signal.)

Sure you can stay other places for less money, but not for all that you get here! It's WORTH every penny! I got a massage while I was here and it was divine!

One last bit of advice...No matter where you stay, DON'T stay at the resort or your hotel the whole time. Get out and drive around this gorgeous area. Take a trip to Neuschwanstein, or Lindhof Palace. The drive alone there is worth it! You cannot imagine how gorgeous this part of Germany is! And make reservations for your dinners!! That way you don't end up having to wait after a day of sightseeing and everyone's hungry and tired.

Hope you enjoy your stay here! We sure did!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Kimberly D
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I am going to point what my family experienced. Very spacious rooms with nice furniture. First floor with access to an open garden area. Terrible pillows, comfortable mattress, one of the bed sheets was torn up.
1) Quality of food at the Market Station Restaurant - salty, pricey, small variety for a so called "resort". Very few options for a vegetarian and gluten intolerant. At the Zuggy's Base Camp, my husband ordered "macho nachos" and it was the worst melted cheddar cheese he ever had.
2) Room service - we stayed for 4 nights. For 2 days we didn't need room service but on our second day our dirty cups/plates/food weren't taken away during the cleaning which was disgusting. Also the room service didn't replace the soap so late at night we had to request new soaps to take a shower.
3) Unhappy employees. I noticed most of employees were not so friendly and working in a happy environment. I noticed several employees eating at the breakfast buffet which I thought it was kind a weird because I had to wait in a line to get an omelet in front of 3 employees (I know that because they were talking to each other and making comments about their work schedule). I don't mind waiting but I've never experienced such a thing. My family also sat in a table for breakfast near a table full of employees (women) and they were the whole time making comments about their schedule, working experiences and co-workers which I also felt inappropriate and awkward.
4) Change machines near the game room. My children wanted to play games but no coin machines or change machines available nearby the game room. My husband had to figure out how to exchange his 10 bill and we couldn't use the machines for small children because we weren't able to break our bills in coins.
5) Playground. I traveled with 2 small children during spring and the weather was great for outdoor activities. While inside the hotel we didn't have any places nearby (surround the hotel) to take the kids to play. I had to drive to Riessersee lake so they could enjoy a playground.
6) Children's pool. My children went to the pool only once because my 4 year old which can swim and go underwater was annoyed by the fact he had to wear life jackets while in the pool with his father. He felt super limited and wanted to get out. My husband also didn't want to go back to the pool because he didn't want to have to deal with a child feeling annoyed by the fact he couldn't swim and go underwater.
We loved the area, lakes, views, mountains and castle.

5 Thank Travel L
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We spent two nights here and enjoyed it. The rooms are spacious with all the American amenities. Parking is free. The hotel is about a 20 minute walk into town; however, it's a pleasant walk since the terrain is flat and the colorful homes are nice to look at. The location on the edge of town is convenient for getting in and out by car. Unfortunately the hotel can get noisy with kids and young soldiers partying in their rooms at night. Next time we'll ask for a room in a quiet location. However, we enjoyed the liveliness of the hotel and the staff was very friendly. We liked the selection of restaurants and especially enjoyed the champagne brunch. Already looking forward to our next visit to this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple