“Roughing it at the Edelweiss resort cabins.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Edelweiss Lodge and Resort
Reviewed 27 January 2009

I stayed at the Edelweiss Resort for a week trip with 3 other male friends. We did not stay at the actual hotel per se, but across the river, adjacent to the Army post in Garmisch, at the Vacation Village cabins. The rustic cabins were wonderful, although simple, and exactly as they are entitled: rustic. There is a small common room with a picnic table type of bench, with a TV and the horrible, ubiquitous AFN propaganda programming that infests overseas military bases, although they did kindly throw in a few local German channels, but nothing too interesting. From there, if you're nimble, there is a loft where you climb up, and you can sleep 2 adults easily, although they only provide a slippery air-type mattress. Under that, there is a bedroom with a full/queen-size bed, and a pair of bunk beds off on the other side of the bedroom. So there is not much privacy in these rustic cabins. There is electricity in the cabins, but no running water, toilets, or showers. However, there is a very large bathhouse which was more than sufficient, which had about a dozen sinks, showers, and toilets. Also had vending machines, and video games for the little shavers, and washers and driers that are coin-operated but dirt cheap. It was literally a 30 second walk from our cabin to the bathhouse. You also have an outdoor BBQ pit, if the weather permits. Each cabin has parking for 1, and some 2, vehicles.

We tried to avoid going to the main resort too much, as we were using the resort as a base of operations and mainly to crash at night and to clean up in the morning, and getting out and seeing as much of Germany and Austria as we could. The people who don't leave the resort are foolish, and missing one of the most beautiful regions in the world. The Bavarian and Tirolian people are friendly, the mountains are gorgeous, the food, beer, and wine is to die for, and there is SO MUCH to see. There are some great sights like Munich, Oberammergau, Ettal Abbey (DO NOT MISS!), Neuschwanstein, Zugspitze, and Innsbruck, all about an hour or so, or maybe even less, away.

Unfortunately as someone else previously commented, it IS a military installation, and the Army seems to be in charge of running it, so of course redundancy and inefficiency will be the name of the game. Some of the rules and policies are absurd, such as not being able to leave one day early. It took us 3 times to register my ID and my non-military friends' passports before they got it right. The civilian gate guards are usually very polite and friendly, but being German, can be rather stern if you goof around, as 2 of my buddies found out after a few beers in town. These people take security seriously. The location is outside of the town limits, but it's a mere 5 minute drive into the G-P bahnhof, and you can park all day there for 5 Euros, just prepay and put the receipt on your dash. We took the train into Munich, and then all over Bavaria, Badem-Wuertemburg, Hesse, and even into Austria, France or Czech Republic from there, if you like. There are a ton of restaurants in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and one I highly recommend is the Werdenfelser-Hof, an authentic Bavarian place in Partenkirchen, complete with authentically attired wait staff, the boys that do the dancing and slap thing, and some of the best food I've ever had in my life. It was so good, we ate there twice that week...try their duck on Saturday night, it is splendid!

All in all, I recommend the Edelweiss resort, particularly the Vacation Village rustic cabins. If you don't mind putting up with the red tape and headaches of dealing with the military (i.e. - army) to make the reservations and following their rules, then you should be fine. Make sure to get out and see the local surrounding area, it is well worth it!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
8  Thank JCS276

Reviewed 27 December 2008

My husband and I just returned home from our Christmas vacation to Garmisch Germany. The Bavarian Alps are something right out of a fairy tale, however Edelweiss was a little off the mark when it comes to fairytale accommodations.

So first with the naughty: While Edelweiss is a beautiful resort you are always aware that you are staying at a military resort. My disappointment with Edelweiss first started before I even arrived. It wasn't possible to call 1 phone# or even possible to book everything with one telephone call. The hotel would only book ski lessons 1 week prior to arrival, spa treatments 2 weeks prior to arrival, & Christmas dinner took approximately 3 phone calls to get straightened out. I had also called the resort regarding reservations at Pullmans for Christmas Eve dinner in which they told me they were not taking any reservations. My husband also checked again with the front desk & they told us that it was first come first serve. That was fine until we showed up at Pullmans & they asked us for our reservation...hmmmm. Thankfully it is just the two of us & it was later in the evening so we only had to wait for 30 minutes to be seated. While Christmas dinner was excellent I felt like herded cattle waiting to be seated. It just seems like the resort could implement a staggered seating time instead of having everyone show up at the exact same time. So you wait in a long line to be seated & another long line to get your meal. Also, be aware that your meal price is also based on your rank so while some paid $16 a person for their Christmas buffet we paid $22 a person. My last naughty - The Parnach Gorge Night Tour...biggest waste of $22 a person you will ever spend. It was a footrace with a torch up to the top of the gorge (or at least as far as you can go in the winter) & another sprint to get back down. What did we see....NOTHING. The only highlight was the dinner we ate at the Gasthaus that was 1/2 way up, but the only reason it was a highlight was because it was warm. The food was just okay & the service was so slow.

Now the Nice: The resort is beautifully decorated & you never need to leave the resort if you don't want to. The highlight of our stay was the ski lessons & the massages. My husband & I had never been on skis, but the instructors were excellent. They took great care & had a lot of patience in trying to teach us how to ski. While I will never become a professional my husband has potential. :) The massage therapists that we had were fantastic! My husband had a deep tissue massage & I had a hot chocolate wrap & massage. I absolutely loved my treatment & would highly recommend it if you go. I also highly recommend eating at Pullmans restaurant because of the excellent food & impeccable staff. The Prime Rib was very good. Another very nice feature was the internet access in the room. While $10 + dollars a day isn't horrible it isn't great either considering that internet is standard in most hotels, but it was fast & it was nice having something to do in the room. All in all this is a very nice place to stay & I would recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank MOJOSETI
Reviewed 5 December 2008

We stayed at the Edelweiss for a ski week over New Year's 2007/2008. We are staying again for 2008/2009. The hotel is terrific for families with children. You can sleep up to five people in a room without additional charges. Since we spent most of our time on the slopes, this was just fine. We enjoyed the fitness center, which was overrun with kids- do not go here for romance!
My wife and I got massages- Wendy enjoyed hers; mine was fine except for the change in masseurs 10 minutes in. They were busy.
The fireworks show is not to be missed. They also had New Year's eve festivities for adults and kids. Good fun, no complaints.
We participated in the ski weeks. Excellent instructors and great value. Everyone learned how to ski or snowboard.
The food is second rate. I recommend you eat elsewhere when possible. At the end of our stay, we would only eat breakfast pastries at the health club snack bar, lunch on the mountain, and then find somewhere in town to eat. We were very happy with the Frauendorfer (sp?) and the Muckenfuck. You can't find a bad restaurant in Garmisch/Partenkirchen, save the Edelweiss.
Other than the substandard food, the hotel is worth staying in.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank boiseidaho
Reviewed 25 November 2008

My husband and I stayed for 2 weeks at this hotel as part of a military retiree tour group. We were extremely pleased with the service and friendliness of every person working at the hotel. There is a lovely lobby with large fireplace and rocking chairs in front of the fire. Very nice place to relax and chat.

The room: Our room was comfortable and clean. We asked for and received extra pillows with no problem. Water pressure was great and they have shower heads that convert to hand-held, which I love. Each room has a coffee maker, refrigerator and blow dryer.

Restaurants: The Pullman Place restaurant has delicious food and great service but be sure to make a reservation as they are booked quickly. Zuggy's has good burgers and pizza and is more casual and less expensive than Pullman. The Market Place serves buffet style breakfast, lunch and dinner. We ate breakfast there every day since it was included with our package. The items offered did not vary in 2 weeks. That got a bit old rather quickly. We ate dinner there only once. The cold items offered (salad, etc.) were fine, but they don't seem to be able to keep the hot food hot enough.

We chose to have internet access in our room for our entire stay since we brought the laptop. We paid $54.95 per week for internet. That seems a bit excessive, especially since quite a few hotels these days include internet for no charge.

Overall, we were very happy with the Edelweiss Lodge and would highly recommend it and would also recommend the retiree tours if you are eligible. Great Experience.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MissusT
Reviewed 26 October 2008

Don't kid yourselves - this is an American military hotel, on par with the Hale Koa or Dragon Hill Lodge. Anyone expecting something different should shop around elsewhere. If you want a German experience in GAP, go stay at a German hotel - there are puh-lenty! The purpose of the Edelweiss is to let military families get away from work and stress in an environment Americans are comfortable in.

I think the place is very nice, with the exception of food options. It would be nice to have something German somewhere on the menu, and a fast food choice would be nice. The Edelweiss is not close to downtown - it's about 3 km to the train station and a mile to the real downtown stuff. If it's cold, you'll want to drive.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank Military_Traveler11
Reviewed 2 September 2008

This is an army base with a commercial hotel. My stay there was okay, not great. My understanding is that he hotel primarily is an R&R location for US service personnel, a beautiful location where they can reunite with their families between tours of duty. The hotel seems to be excellent at that. Although the hotel is in Germany, everything about it is USA, even the currency.

I would not stay again. I did not like the security checks every time I returned to the hotel. I did not like the security lights at night, the food was average, the hotel too far for a pleasant walk into Garmisch.

It is a great place if you want the expense of traveling overseas but without the experience of leaving the USA.

Stayed: August 2008
4  Thank Bothercollie
Reviewed 29 July 2008

We enjoyed a 4-day weekend in Garmisch in April 2008. After reading some of the less-than-excellent reviews saying this isn't the vacation in Bavaria they were going for, I'll give you my perspective. While experiencing the local culture is nice, since we LIVE in Germany (stationed here with the Army), experiencing the local culture was not as important to us as getting rest and recharging. We still got to experience what Bavaria is all about (keep reading for the activities we did), in the comfort of an American hotel/resort. I want to stay here again and again! I have so many good things to say, so I'll just get started!
-THE VIEW! The Alps are breathtaking. The first day we got there the sky was crystal clear. The next couple of days it snowed and the peaks were obscured a bit by fog. We had a balcony, but it was cold so we didn't use it. The big window provided a very acceptable view from inside the warmth of our room. We also enjoyed the cute roofs of the quaint houses in town, caked with snow like gingerbread houses and complete with chimneys billowing with smoke.
-English speaking staff- very valuable to my husband & I because it can be difficult and tiring trying to communicate with someone who doesn't speak your language. It's nice on vacation to get a break from worrying about that.
-"American style" rooms (big, clean, comfortable, English on the TV, private bathroom, American outlets)
-Pullman's Place was awesome--maybe our favorite thing about our stay! Priced reasonably for what it is (a nice, somewhat formal restaurant), we ate there 3 nights in a row, kept the leftovers in our room fridge to eat the 4th night, and then got their dessert and brought it back to our room to eat it. We didn't have anything we didn't love. Our favorite was the AMERICAN BEEF (New York Strip) that my husband said was the best he's had in Europe. I agree. They have excellent service even though it's a popular place, just call to reserve a spot or if it's too late to make a reservation, hang out at one of the many tables or couches or chairs and enjoy a drink from the bar while chatting, playing cards or Scrabble (we brought our own), or just watching the snow fall outside.
-We were on a battalion-wide trip, but aside from getting the discounted group rate, we did everything on our own. The resort has a lot of services, a pool, a spa, places to eat/drink, and activities and tours. We didn't do much of anything the resort offered. Some friends of ours took advantage of the skiing that the hotel offered, and ended up rather sore, but they had plans to get massages at the spa the next day, so it was all good!
-We didn't try the breakfast or any of the buffet meals, but I wouldn't have expected much. I won't try to argue with other reviewers who say they were not very good. I will tell you that we brought sandwiches, soup, granola, milk, hot chocolate mix, and fruit for breakfasts, lunches, and snacks so we wouldn't have to spend money on overpriced food at tourist destinations, and we could be more flexible with eating in our room or in our car or at a pretty picnic pit-stop on the way to other destinations. It worked out well, and the microwave and toaster in the coffee shop area came in very handy. We had a nice, warm lunch of homemade soup (and leftover bread, toasted, from supper at Pullman's Place the previous night) in our cozy room while the snow fell outside the window, without dealing with lines or crowded, noisy dining areas.
-The predominant activity for us on this little holiday was napping. As I said, all we really wanted to get out of this trip was rest & relaxation, and we did. There's nothing better than dozing on a comfy bed or just lying there in awe of the gorgeous mountains right outside the window, watching the snowflakes fall.
-The one outing we did was to drive our rental car along the snowy, winding mountain roads and through the wonderful countryside to Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. I believe this is one of the many group day trips the hotel offers, but as their time schedules are limited and likely involve a crowded or noisy bus trip, we quickly opted to do it on our own, with much satisfaction. Near the hotel store there is a display with sheets of paper with info on all the activities in the area and that the hotel offers. On the Neuschwanstein sheet are very easy to follow driving directions. Detailed review of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau to come, but I'll say here that I really enjoyed Neuschwanstein & highly reccommend it, but Hohenschwangau is boring and unimpressive. Grab an apfelsaftshorle and brat on a baguette-type roll for a small but tasty lunch and eat it before you hike the trail up the hill to the fantastic castle. Or get the same thing halfway up the hill, it might be cheaper, I don't know. Eat it while you catch your breath for the next climb. Ok, take the horse-drawn carriage if you must, but you'll miss the pretty trail and get a cramped seat in exchange.
-Another great activity (that was FREE!) was building a huge snowman right in front of the hotel. We weren't the only people who did this, there were snow people all over the hotel premises (but ours was by far the biggest--ha! ;) )
-One morning we drove out of the Edelweiss property & parked near the old part of town, where we walked through the charming residential area to the little shopping district. We bought croissants at one cafe, milchkaffees at another, and sat at an outdoor table to enjoy a late breakfast and people-watch. We got to experience more of the local life, even though it happened to be Easter Sunday and most of the shops and cafes were closed or closing early. I actually enjoyed the serenity of the quiet streets, and we still got to see the traditional Bavarian buildings, some little monuments, and we browsed through a little shop looking for souvenirs for ourselves and family back home. We ended up buying a stein music box and a hand-painted pottery pitcher. We saw many more shops and restaurants we would have liked to go in, but as I said it was our last full day, and things were closed--so we'll have to go back again sometime!

The minor "bad" things we experienced:
-We were given the impression (just from looking around the website, not any outright statement from any staff) that there would be a microwave in our room. There was one microwave available in the coffee shop. No purchase was necessary to use it.
-We could hear people in the neighboring room and kids in the hall, but by the time we were ready to go to bed, we could sleep right through it. (And I refuse to fault the kids for...being kids. Come on, it's a hotel! You're on vacation! You can swim in a pool! You can ride in an elevator! You can run down seemingly endless hallways! You can jump on the beds! You don't have to MAKE the beds! It's exciting!)
-There were a lot of people, and a lot of kids. The main sitting area in the lobby was loud and chaotic, all of the couches & rocking chairs in front of the huge fireplace (which looked comfy and a great spot to chill) were almost always taken, but it didn't bother us because we were usually just passing through. This and the noise we heard in our room may have been due to the big group that was there. Maybe there would be fewer people or at least less boisterous socializing at other times.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business