“Outstanding hotel for a piece of home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Edelweiss Lodge and Resort
Tampa, Florida
“Outstanding hotel for a piece of home”
Reviewed 4 June 2009

(Review is from January 2008)

Having traveled extensively through Europe, I've stayed at plenty of European hotels. If you're looking for a European experience, do not stay at the Edelweiss because you will not find that here. It is a hotel meant for the U.S. Armed Forces and I would routinely stay here (about every 6 months or so) when I wanted a reminder of home or wanted to relax and not carry a phrasebook or translation guide with me.

The service is extraordinary. Apparently most of the workers are from the U.S. and are working at Edelweiss as a way of going to Germany for a while. It's really a good deal and they obviously enjoy working here.

When you first walk into the lobby, you're greeted by an open area with a large fireplace that is very welcoming. There is also a gift shop where you can buy tickets for events.

The rooms are large and very comfortable similar to something found at Best Western or the Marriott. The bathrooms are also very large and modern looking. There is plenty of space for clothing in case you decide to extend your stay by a few days.

The hotel has several different places to eat and drink located on the grounds and each is unique in its own way. There's even a casino and arcade in the resort.

If you choose to leave the resort grounds (which I recommend), Garmisch-Partenkirchen has so much to offer. The town is very Bavarian and I really recommend visiting the Christmas Market during the winter. Skiing/snowboarding is also a great event to do during the winter here. In the summer, there's plenty of events that you can do and sign up for at Edelweiss. You can go kayaking, white water rafting, hiking, bike riding, the list goes on. I've been to Edelweiss in the late spring/early summer and in the winter and had a great time regardless of the season.

Again, it's an American hotel in Germany but I really liked it because sometimes I wanted to feel like I was back in the states. I recommend it for a couple getaway or for a family trip.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UTampaMBA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Detroit, MI
Reviewed 11 May 2009

As a military family stationed in Germany, our stay at the Edelweiss resort was wonderful!!! If you are looking for a German/Bavarian hotel experience, you will not find that here. But, if you are looking for a taste of home, this is the place! I believe the resort is really meant for active duty, especially those deployed and those stationed over seas, to be able to come and relax and take a break. We live in Germany. We experience Germany everyday, which is wonderful, but it was so nice to get away from it all for a while. Good-size rooms, unlimited towels, ice in drinks, free water at dinner, whip cream that actually had a taste, no language barriers, and, of course, AFN American t.v.. It was a nice welcome. Here is how I would rate everything:

Location: definitely a 10!! You couldn't pick a better spot for views!! I believe all rooms have balconies with mountain views. There is so much to do and see around the resort. We brought our own vehicle, but did most of our traveling on bikes. There are bike paths everywhere leading you to so many great spots. We didn't really feel the need to venture to far from the resort, since we have already done some of the tours nearby on our own, or plan on in the future. But, the resort offers all kinds of wonderful tours with english-speaking guides. You could definitely do everything on your own, but if you like to just catch a bus and enjoy the scenery while driving, this is an option. This trip was more about relaxing. But, it was wonderful to walk/bike to nearby towns (Grainau which is 2 km away is beautiful and so quaint!) You will love the view!! You can bike to the Partnach Gorge (about 15 minutes), and there is a great rodelbahn right by the Olympic ski jump on your way to the gorge. These are all in walking distance, but bikes would make it easier. The Eibsee lake would be more uphill biking, but if you have a car, it is a quick easy drive to a stunning lake right at the foot of the Zugspike. You can rent paddle boats for just a couple Euro, or pay for a boat ride around the lake for just a few more Euro. Simply beautiful. My point is that you can pay more money to take a tour, or you could save money and do things yourself closer to the resort.

Resort property: I haven't stayed at any of the military resorts, so I was pleasantly surprised that there really was no skimping on presentation. Everything was clean and visually pleasant. It added to the relaxing atmosphere. Our kids LOVED the pool! It is definitely a KIDS pool, with a very large 2 ft area, and I think the deepest going to 4 ft. But, again, I believe the purpose of the resort is mostly for the active duty, and with that usually comes children. The hot tub is HUGE, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Kids are allowed in the hot tub, accept between the hours of 8:30-10pm. I think they should extend until 11pm, but it was still soooo nice. You are allowed to take drinks to the pool, which was an added perk not seeing a sign saying no beverages allowed. Just ask the bar to put the drink in a plastic cup.
I signed up for a massage, and it was awesome, and reasonably priced. I got a 2 hour treatment for $120. I thought the staff all over the resort were phenomenal. Again, they are mostly Americans, since the resort advertises to young adults/college age for the opportunity to live in Europe and work at the resort for 1 year. I think this is a great idea. They were all so excited about living in Europe for 1 year, that they truly seemed to enjoy their job. They were always smiling, willing to help, and paid lots of attention to the kids.

The food at the resort was fine. Nothing amazing, but still good. We ate at the buffet restaurant, the Point cafe, and Zuggy's. We never went to Zullmans, b/c of the toddler. :) The buffet has a great, AMERICAN breakfast. (again, very welcome, being we have had our share of European breakfasts.) It was so nice to have scrambled eggs, pancakes, and bacon again. :) It was 8.95 for adults, 4 and under free, and I believe 5-12 $2.95. Not too bad, though I do think they should include breakfast with the room rate. Zuggys was pizza, burgers, and a few sandwiches. Not a huge selection, but they had a bar with lots of options, and the salad and pizza was delicious. To us, it was more about convenience. Staying on the property to eat, not worry about speaking German, and knowing that the kids will like what we order.
In a nutshell, if we were coming from the States and wanted to experience Germany/Europe, we probably wouldn't stay here. But, if you are stationed around here, or on leave, you will love it. Also, it you want the conveniences of tours already planned, the option to go out and experience Bavarian meals, but still have the option of American conveniences, you will enjoy it here also. I met many retired couples who seemed to be thoroughly enjoying their stay. Hope this helps!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
5 Thank bbrown1226
Reviewed 21 April 2009

1) Why not offer standard German breakfast choices? American breakfast? Why would you want an American breakfast in Germany?
2) You will have to pay for internet access? Wireless will also not work unless you pay the hotel. Crazy!!
3) Cost is more than you would pay if you stay at charming local hotels in town or a surrounding town.
4) Still, nice rooms and bathrooms. Big fluffy towels, nice bathroom products. Rooms have a small fridge which is very nice to have.
5) Nice workout room. Big pool and outside hot tub.
6) Skip the buffet dinners, you can find much better food in town.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
4 Thank Mimaboy
Ankeny, Iowa
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We were recently at Edelweiss for a retreat and it was really lovely. It was my second stay there and I would gladly return. The rooms are roomy and comfortable. The location isn't terrific for walking into town but it is wonderful for views, convenience to the ski areas, and it's very near the PX and commissary. We only ate in the Market (can't think of the whole name) for breakfasts and dinners, which was very good for a buffet. My kids really enjoyed the swimming pool, which has a large shallow end perfect for the little ones. We really didn't want to leave! But when we did we stopped of at the Linderhof Palace which was very nearby.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank IowaGirl-in-Germany
New London, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 March 2009

So, I read all the reviews before staying at Edelweiss, so I knew what to expect and I knew being a 20-something single female travelling with a friend--we were not the traditional guests. Staying in a variety of locations throughout our trip through Europe, this was by far the most expensive, and, unfortunately, I do not believe it lived up to its price, (especially when the "frills" are not included, like internet, any meals, trips, etc).

The hotel is ALWAYS crowded with children. In fact, there is only a 2 hour window when the hot tub is designated children-free, and then you have to walk through a screaming pool deck full of them to get to the hot tub over-crowded with adults also trying to escape.

The hotel is designed for you to drive there, so if you are not without a car (as we were), it is not convenient at all. Cab fares add up, so we ended up staying in most of the nights, using this as an opportunity to catch up on sleep and relax, rather than explore Garmisch's night life.

There are LOTS of lovely mom and pop pensions or B&Bs closeby that offer nearly all the same ammenities for a lot less money, but with more personality. I would strongly encourage anyone travelling without children to consider those options.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank CoastieGirl04
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 4 February 2009

We stayed at Edelweiss the first week of January and brought our college age daughter. We were given an oversize room facing the ski slopes. The room was good size and very similar to what you would find in the US. The lobby of the hotel was very pretty as it was still decorated for the holidays. We ate breakfast each morning at the buffet. The cost was $8.95/person and there was plenty to eat and the food was good and staff was very nice! We also did their tour to the crystal factory and Innsbruck. We enjoyed this trip very much and recommend it. We also rented a car and drove to the castle and surrounding areas. We certainly recommend this hotel and look forward to another visit.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank KNBDenver
Colorado
Reviewed 27 January 2009

I stayed at the Edelweiss Resort for a week trip with 3 other male friends. We did not stay at the actual hotel per se, but across the river, adjacent to the Army post in Garmisch, at the Vacation Village cabins. The rustic cabins were wonderful, although simple, and exactly as they are entitled: rustic. There is a small common room with a picnic table type of bench, with a TV and the horrible, ubiquitous AFN propaganda programming that infests overseas military bases, although they did kindly throw in a few local German channels, but nothing too interesting. From there, if you're nimble, there is a loft where you climb up, and you can sleep 2 adults easily, although they only provide a slippery air-type mattress. Under that, there is a bedroom with a full/queen-size bed, and a pair of bunk beds off on the other side of the bedroom. So there is not much privacy in these rustic cabins. There is electricity in the cabins, but no running water, toilets, or showers. However, there is a very large bathhouse which was more than sufficient, which had about a dozen sinks, showers, and toilets. Also had vending machines, and video games for the little shavers, and washers and driers that are coin-operated but dirt cheap. It was literally a 30 second walk from our cabin to the bathhouse. You also have an outdoor BBQ pit, if the weather permits. Each cabin has parking for 1, and some 2, vehicles.

We tried to avoid going to the main resort too much, as we were using the resort as a base of operations and mainly to crash at night and to clean up in the morning, and getting out and seeing as much of Germany and Austria as we could. The people who don't leave the resort are foolish, and missing one of the most beautiful regions in the world. The Bavarian and Tirolian people are friendly, the mountains are gorgeous, the food, beer, and wine is to die for, and there is SO MUCH to see. There are some great sights like Munich, Oberammergau, Ettal Abbey (DO NOT MISS!), Neuschwanstein, Zugspitze, and Innsbruck, all about an hour or so, or maybe even less, away.

Unfortunately as someone else previously commented, it IS a military installation, and the Army seems to be in charge of running it, so of course redundancy and inefficiency will be the name of the game. Some of the rules and policies are absurd, such as not being able to leave one day early. It took us 3 times to register my ID and my non-military friends' passports before they got it right. The civilian gate guards are usually very polite and friendly, but being German, can be rather stern if you goof around, as 2 of my buddies found out after a few beers in town. These people take security seriously. The location is outside of the town limits, but it's a mere 5 minute drive into the G-P bahnhof, and you can park all day there for 5 Euros, just prepay and put the receipt on your dash. We took the train into Munich, and then all over Bavaria, Badem-Wuertemburg, Hesse, and even into Austria, France or Czech Republic from there, if you like. There are a ton of restaurants in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and one I highly recommend is the Werdenfelser-Hof, an authentic Bavarian place in Partenkirchen, complete with authentically attired wait staff, the boys that do the dancing and slap thing, and some of the best food I've ever had in my life. It was so good, we ate there twice that week...try their duck on Saturday night, it is splendid!

All in all, I recommend the Edelweiss resort, particularly the Vacation Village rustic cabins. If you don't mind putting up with the red tape and headaches of dealing with the military (i.e. - army) to make the reservations and following their rules, then you should be fine. Make sure to get out and see the local surrounding area, it is well worth it!

• Liked — The view, the local area, and the price was reasonable.
  • Disliked — Dealing with the Army red tape, horrible AFN TV programming.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends