(Review is from January 2008)
Having traveled extensively through Europe, I've stayed at plenty of European hotels. If you're looking for a European experience, do not stay at the Edelweiss because you will not find that here. It is a hotel meant for the U.S. Armed Forces and I would routinely stay here (about every 6 months or so) when I wanted a reminder of home or wanted to relax and not carry a phrasebook or translation guide with me.
The service is extraordinary. Apparently most of the workers are from the U.S. and are working at Edelweiss as a way of going to Germany for a while. It's really a good deal and they obviously enjoy working here.
When you first walk into the lobby, you're greeted by an open area with a large fireplace that is very welcoming. There is also a gift shop where you can buy tickets for events.
The rooms are large and very comfortable similar to something found at Best Western or the Marriott. The bathrooms are also very large and modern looking. There is plenty of space for clothing in case you decide to extend your stay by a few days.
The hotel has several different places to eat and drink located on the grounds and each is unique in its own way. There's even a casino and arcade in the resort.
If you choose to leave the resort grounds (which I recommend), Garmisch-Partenkirchen has so much to offer. The town is very Bavarian and I really recommend visiting the Christmas Market during the winter. Skiing/snowboarding is also a great event to do during the winter here. In the summer, there's plenty of events that you can do and sign up for at Edelweiss. You can go kayaking, white water rafting, hiking, bike riding, the list goes on. I've been to Edelweiss in the late spring/early summer and in the winter and had a great time regardless of the season.
Again, it's an American hotel in Germany but I really liked it because sometimes I wanted to feel like I was back in the states. I recommend it for a couple getaway or for a family trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Long revered as one of the most desirable destinations in the Bavarian Alps, the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area is an idyllic location nestled at the foot of sweeping Alpine vistas and home to the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort. Just 56 miles from Munich, 34 miles from Innsbruck, the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort is located in the heart of Europe. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Edelweiss Hotel Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Edelweiss Resort Garmisch Partenkirchen
- Edelweiss Lodge And Resort Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany - Bavaria