“The resort as well as the area are awesome! A must see!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Edelweiss Lodge and Resort
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Hiking in the Partnach Gorge was the best! Paragliding was also really awesome! The castles were inspiring as well. Dachau was informative but I was somewhat disappointed in the museum there. We rented handheld devices so that we could walk through the exhibits on our own and the exhibit numbers never matched the paper guide's numbers so you could never figure out how to use the device. We ended up just reading the information on each display.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank TravellingFLMom

Reviewed 5 July 2009

If you’re living in Europe and have had “enough” of the foreign experience and want a little taste of America while seeing Germany, than this is the place. However, if you’re coming from the States and want to experience Germany, then you should go someplace else because this is just like taking a small American city and placing it in Germany. Outside the gates the town is very charming, though. The rooms are very spacious like American hotels but the beds, sheets and pillows are more European in style, which means they’re uncomfortable. The food here is also sub-par. Go in town to eat everything but breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank pbryars
Reviewed 20 June 2009

I traveled with my wife and two daughters, 13 & 8. We are not experienced travelers and this was our first trip abroad as a family - it's a lot different versus dad going solo on business.

The lodge is tremendous. When we stayed at the Edelweiss, the exchange rate was crazy for Dollar/Euro. This made tremendous financial sense (and cents) to stay there. There are three different themed restaurants to eat at in the resort. The price of all the meals are in dollars. The value is tremendous. The price range compares nicely with casual themed restaurants in cities in the states.

The rooms are very clean, nice, and functional. Our room had a balcony with a view of the mountains. But then again, I think all the rooms have a beautiful view of the mountains.

From what I understand, the staff are primarily all Americans. As such, most of them don't appear to speak German well, if at all. When I requested assistance renting a car, the young man did nothing to help. My wife and I ended up figuring it out on our own using the little German we remembered from college twenty years ago. Whereas obtaining assistance for anything outside the lodge from the staff is a downside, because the staff is American, it is nice to come back to the lodge and know your conversation will be understood. For example, when I was in Munich, I asked for cough drops. The cashier at the supermarket thought I wanted coffee drops.

To save money, we bought breakfast items at the commissary and ate breakfast in the room. We would eat one meal on the economy and one meal in the lodge. That worked well for us.

If you want to be immersed in the German culture, do not stay here. If you are on a budget, or you are a novice traveling to German and want some conveniences of home while away, the Edelweiss is a must.

Hints: use the ATM machine at the lodge to obtain euros. While we were there, it provided the best exchange rate. If you are going to go to the Zugspitze, and I recommend you do, do it on the first sunny day. There are not many of them, and we went in July.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank elcid89tn
Reviewed 4 June 2009

(Review is from January 2008)

Having traveled extensively through Europe, I've stayed at plenty of European hotels. If you're looking for a European experience, do not stay at the Edelweiss because you will not find that here. It is a hotel meant for the U.S. Armed Forces and I would routinely stay here (about every 6 months or so) when I wanted a reminder of home or wanted to relax and not carry a phrasebook or translation guide with me.

The service is extraordinary. Apparently most of the workers are from the U.S. and are working at Edelweiss as a way of going to Germany for a while. It's really a good deal and they obviously enjoy working here.

When you first walk into the lobby, you're greeted by an open area with a large fireplace that is very welcoming. There is also a gift shop where you can buy tickets for events.

The rooms are large and very comfortable similar to something found at Best Western or the Marriott. The bathrooms are also very large and modern looking. There is plenty of space for clothing in case you decide to extend your stay by a few days.

The hotel has several different places to eat and drink located on the grounds and each is unique in its own way. There's even a casino and arcade in the resort.

If you choose to leave the resort grounds (which I recommend), Garmisch-Partenkirchen has so much to offer. The town is very Bavarian and I really recommend visiting the Christmas Market during the winter. Skiing/snowboarding is also a great event to do during the winter here. In the summer, there's plenty of events that you can do and sign up for at Edelweiss. You can go kayaking, white water rafting, hiking, bike riding, the list goes on. I've been to Edelweiss in the late spring/early summer and in the winter and had a great time regardless of the season.

Again, it's an American hotel in Germany but I really liked it because sometimes I wanted to feel like I was back in the states. I recommend it for a couple getaway or for a family trip.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank UTampaMBA
Reviewed 11 May 2009

As a military family stationed in Germany, our stay at the Edelweiss resort was wonderful!!! If you are looking for a German/Bavarian hotel experience, you will not find that here. But, if you are looking for a taste of home, this is the place! I believe the resort is really meant for active duty, especially those deployed and those stationed over seas, to be able to come and relax and take a break. We live in Germany. We experience Germany everyday, which is wonderful, but it was so nice to get away from it all for a while. Good-size rooms, unlimited towels, ice in drinks, free water at dinner, whip cream that actually had a taste, no language barriers, and, of course, AFN American t.v.. It was a nice welcome. Here is how I would rate everything:

Location: definitely a 10!! You couldn't pick a better spot for views!! I believe all rooms have balconies with mountain views. There is so much to do and see around the resort. We brought our own vehicle, but did most of our traveling on bikes. There are bike paths everywhere leading you to so many great spots. We didn't really feel the need to venture to far from the resort, since we have already done some of the tours nearby on our own, or plan on in the future. But, the resort offers all kinds of wonderful tours with english-speaking guides. You could definitely do everything on your own, but if you like to just catch a bus and enjoy the scenery while driving, this is an option. This trip was more about relaxing. But, it was wonderful to walk/bike to nearby towns (Grainau which is 2 km away is beautiful and so quaint!) You will love the view!! You can bike to the Partnach Gorge (about 15 minutes), and there is a great rodelbahn right by the Olympic ski jump on your way to the gorge. These are all in walking distance, but bikes would make it easier. The Eibsee lake would be more uphill biking, but if you have a car, it is a quick easy drive to a stunning lake right at the foot of the Zugspike. You can rent paddle boats for just a couple Euro, or pay for a boat ride around the lake for just a few more Euro. Simply beautiful. My point is that you can pay more money to take a tour, or you could save money and do things yourself closer to the resort.

Resort property: I haven't stayed at any of the military resorts, so I was pleasantly surprised that there really was no skimping on presentation. Everything was clean and visually pleasant. It added to the relaxing atmosphere. Our kids LOVED the pool! It is definitely a KIDS pool, with a very large 2 ft area, and I think the deepest going to 4 ft. But, again, I believe the purpose of the resort is mostly for the active duty, and with that usually comes children. The hot tub is HUGE, and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Kids are allowed in the hot tub, accept between the hours of 8:30-10pm. I think they should extend until 11pm, but it was still soooo nice. You are allowed to take drinks to the pool, which was an added perk not seeing a sign saying no beverages allowed. Just ask the bar to put the drink in a plastic cup.
I signed up for a massage, and it was awesome, and reasonably priced. I got a 2 hour treatment for $120. I thought the staff all over the resort were phenomenal. Again, they are mostly Americans, since the resort advertises to young adults/college age for the opportunity to live in Europe and work at the resort for 1 year. I think this is a great idea. They were all so excited about living in Europe for 1 year, that they truly seemed to enjoy their job. They were always smiling, willing to help, and paid lots of attention to the kids.

The food at the resort was fine. Nothing amazing, but still good. We ate at the buffet restaurant, the Point cafe, and Zuggy's. We never went to Zullmans, b/c of the toddler. :) The buffet has a great, AMERICAN breakfast. (again, very welcome, being we have had our share of European breakfasts.) It was so nice to have scrambled eggs, pancakes, and bacon again. :) It was 8.95 for adults, 4 and under free, and I believe 5-12 $2.95. Not too bad, though I do think they should include breakfast with the room rate. Zuggys was pizza, burgers, and a few sandwiches. Not a huge selection, but they had a bar with lots of options, and the salad and pizza was delicious. To us, it was more about convenience. Staying on the property to eat, not worry about speaking German, and knowing that the kids will like what we order.
In a nutshell, if we were coming from the States and wanted to experience Germany/Europe, we probably wouldn't stay here. But, if you are stationed around here, or on leave, you will love it. Also, it you want the conveniences of tours already planned, the option to go out and experience Bavarian meals, but still have the option of American conveniences, you will enjoy it here also. I met many retired couples who seemed to be thoroughly enjoying their stay. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank bbrown1226
Reviewed 21 April 2009

1) Why not offer standard German breakfast choices? American breakfast? Why would you want an American breakfast in Germany?
2) You will have to pay for internet access? Wireless will also not work unless you pay the hotel. Crazy!!
3) Cost is more than you would pay if you stay at charming local hotels in town or a surrounding town.
4) Still, nice rooms and bathrooms. Big fluffy towels, nice bathroom products. Rooms have a small fridge which is very nice to have.
5) Nice workout room. Big pool and outside hot tub.
6) Skip the buffet dinners, you can find much better food in town.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank Mimaboy
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We were recently at Edelweiss for a retreat and it was really lovely. It was my second stay there and I would gladly return. The rooms are roomy and comfortable. The location isn't terrific for walking into town but it is wonderful for views, convenience to the ski areas, and it's very near the PX and commissary. We only ate in the Market (can't think of the whole name) for breakfasts and dinners, which was very good for a buffet. My kids really enjoyed the swimming pool, which has a large shallow end perfect for the little ones. We really didn't want to leave! But when we did we stopped of at the Linderhof Palace which was very nearby.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business