“Bit of a Strange One”

Boutique Hotel Villa Soy
Ranked #34 of 36 Hotels in Erlangen
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I stayed here for one night and having read reviews I was a bit concerned and about the room size. However my room (501) as very large and has a seating area with a big sofa, plus a table and four chairs.

There were two bed together with separate quilts as you often find in Europe plus another bed, I guess for a child. Unfortunately there was no shower but a bath. This was a corner style and under the eaves as being room 501 it was at the top. When I stood up in the bath I hit my head on the window above!

I had been given lessons on how to operate the TV when checking in but even though I tried a few times, I never got it to work. The room was very clean and there was even a covered baloney area with a table which would have been nice to sit at during warmer times.

Importantly there is NO lift and being on the top floor there are about eight flights of marble (slippery) stairs to climb.

When I tried to check out in the morning there was no one present and although I rang the bell three times no one came so I just left my key, etc.

Breakfast was the continental style and there was plenty of choice although no hot food.

Overall the hotel was different and quirky but needs to think a little about the detais.

Room Tip: If you want a larger room ask for 501 but be ready for the climb.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Colin_Welwyn

Reviewed 16 March 2013

We used it instead of staying in Nuremberg, a short journey but well worth the effort. Really good service, family run and it shows staff members very attentive and helpful. We will certainly use it again

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I just stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and the reason why i chose it is because all the surrounding hotels were fully booked for an important toy fair.
The hotel is presented as "boutique hotel where your comfort is our business"... well... good idea but bad execution.

The rooms can qualify to be the smallest in Europe. I was also particularly unlucky as my room, the 206 was probably the smallest (judging from the safety blue prints hanging from the wall). Literally the hole room including toilet was not reaching 10 square meters.

Breakfast which is normally a happy event in German hotels was very poor in both variety and quality.

The staff spoke very basic English and were also quite scarce... the reception was mostly empty.

I paid way too much for what i got in return and i felt overall ripped off. Considering that i travel to this area at least 2-3 times per year and that i tried several hotels, i can say that this was the least satisfactory.

Room Tip: ask before booking about the size of the room, each room has a different shape and size.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank sergio c
Reviewed 10 August 2012

booked for 5 nights stayed for one. Locked out on arrival, inspite of organising a key for a late arrival. The room was the smallest I have eveer encountered - my bags had to go in the bathroom as the bed filled the room completely. Street noise was very bad inspite of the hotel beoing dvertised as quiet.Breakfast was very average. When they had no other room to offer me away from teh street or larger I decided to check out. The hotel wanted to charge me 5 nights for staying one night and it took 1 hour of wrangling to sort out before they let me leave paying for 50€ for 7 hours use of the room (no sleeping was involved as the room was to noisey and hot. Nice concept but not well executed, go to the Konig otto or Kral or novotel or quality instead.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank forad
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed here for one night in January, and it was perfectly fine. Except that the bathroom was absolutely freezing! No heating whatsoever in there. The bed was comfortable, but we did find it a wee bit strange that we only had one duvet and one pillow. A very big duvet and pillow, but one nonetheless...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Therese M
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I’ve stayed in Villa Soy 2 times already coming to Erlangen on business and it’s a very nice, family owned hotel. The location is perfect, a walking distance from the center and the university, breakfast is included is very rich and free Wi-Fi.

Room Tip: For a woman traveling alone its advice to ask for a high floor since the first floor rooms are on st...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This hotel, which was recently converted from an office building into a hotel, is somewhat small, but has some serious issues and does not provide good value for money.

The good:
+ They are friendly; but you can tell nobody has a lot of hospitality experience.
+ Breakfast is pretty decent and included in the price
+ If you are able to figure out the overly complex satellite TV system, you have access to 150 channels.

The bad:
- Cleaning is pathetic. They did not clean the room or the bathroom at all, but simply made the bed (with the same sheets) and exchanged the towels.
- Speaking of the towels: I don't know whether they use detergent at all, because the towels smelled liked dogs. Yes, they had a dog smell to them. Not only the first night, but also the "new" towels we got. It was bad.
- The "double bed" consists (as so often in Germany - why?) of two separate single beds.
- We were missing toilet paper in our room on arrival. There was no toilet paper at all! I complained to reception and they brought 1 (one) roll exactly 25 (twenty-five) minutes later. So if you needed to use the bathroom right after check-in, you were out of luck.
- The windows are single-glazed so you can hear every word of people standing outside your window. One of the hotel restaurants chefs felt that he had to have a loud conversation at 11pm right in front of our window and we could understand every word.
- There is no air conditioning and it gets really hot in the room in summer.

We will not be back. And this is in NO WAY a 3 or even 4 star property.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple