“All in all, an ok stay, perhaps a bit pricey for what you get.”

Boutique Hotel Villa Soy
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Erlangen
Germany
“All in all, an ok stay, perhaps a bit pricey for what you get.”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I ended up in Erlangen, because there were no hotels to be had in my actual destination, Nürnberg, due to a trade fair going on. Since Erlangen is only 15 minutes by train, it is definitely a good alternative. There is a much younger crowd (and less tourists) than in Nürnberg, which makes staying there quite a good experience.

Despite the posh name, the hotel is pretty simple - I have no idea what is supposedly “boutique” about it! The reception is on the first floor, my room on the 3rd. No elevator. The atmosphere in the hotel is clinical at best.

The room was ok, though the bathroom wasn’t very attractive or comfortable. Also, it had a really noisy and annoying ventilation unit that stayed on seemingly for ever after turning the light out. Oddly enough, the ventilator (and subsequently the bathroom light) was on when I entered the room, even tough the windows was on tilt.

When I came back from meeting a colleague that evening - I’d closed the window and turned the bathroom light off before leaving - I noticed a distinct and annoying smell of some sort (couldn’t identify it), which might have been the reason to keep the ventilator on before the guest arrived.

Breakfast was not something worth remembering much about, but it was included in the room rate. I did get freshly made scrambled eggs, which was quite nice.

The hotel is within walking distance from the central train station (about 10 minutes at my walking speed) and the surrounding area is quite nice with a whole bunch of restaurants.

Room Tip: Its a quiet area, I don't think it matters which room you get.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Welwyn, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I stayed here for one night and having read reviews I was a bit concerned and about the room size. However my room (501) as very large and has a seating area with a big sofa, plus a table and four chairs.

There were two bed together with separate quilts as you often find in Europe plus another bed, I guess for a child. Unfortunately there was no shower but a bath. This was a corner style and under the eaves as being room 501 it was at the top. When I stood up in the bath I hit my head on the window above!

I had been given lessons on how to operate the TV when checking in but even though I tried a few times, I never got it to work. The room was very clean and there was even a covered baloney area with a table which would have been nice to sit at during warmer times.

Importantly there is NO lift and being on the top floor there are about eight flights of marble (slippery) stairs to climb.

When I tried to check out in the morning there was no one present and although I rang the bell three times no one came so I just left my key, etc.

Breakfast was the continental style and there was plenty of choice although no hot food.

Overall the hotel was different and quirky but needs to think a little about the detais.

Room Tip: If you want a larger room ask for 501 but be ready for the climb.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Colin_Welwyn
Eisenach, Germany
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We used it instead of staying in Nuremberg, a short journey but well worth the effort. Really good service, family run and it shows staff members very attentive and helpful. We will certainly use it again

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I just stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and the reason why i chose it is because all the surrounding hotels were fully booked for an important toy fair.
The hotel is presented as "boutique hotel where your comfort is our business"... well... good idea but bad execution.

The rooms can qualify to be the smallest in Europe. I was also particularly unlucky as my room, the 206 was probably the smallest (judging from the safety blue prints hanging from the wall). Literally the hole room including toilet was not reaching 10 square meters.

Breakfast which is normally a happy event in German hotels was very poor in both variety and quality.

The staff spoke very basic English and were also quite scarce... the reception was mostly empty.

I paid way too much for what i got in return and i felt overall ripped off. Considering that i travel to this area at least 2-3 times per year and that i tried several hotels, i can say that this was the least satisfactory.

Room Tip: ask before booking about the size of the room, each room has a different shape and size.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank sergio c

Travellers are raving about these Erlangen hotels

Australia
Reviewed 10 August 2012

booked for 5 nights stayed for one. Locked out on arrival, inspite of organising a key for a late arrival. The room was the smallest I have eveer encountered - my bags had to go in the bathroom as the bed filled the room completely. Street noise was very bad inspite of the hotel beoing dvertised as quiet.Breakfast was very average. When they had no other room to offer me away from teh street or larger I decided to check out. The hotel wanted to charge me 5 nights for staying one night and it took 1 hour of wrangling to sort out before they let me leave paying for 50€ for 7 hours use of the room (no sleeping was involved as the room was to noisey and hot. Nice concept but not well executed, go to the Konig otto or Kral or novotel or quality instead.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank forad
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stayed here for one night in January, and it was perfectly fine. Except that the bathroom was absolutely freezing! No heating whatsoever in there. The bed was comfortable, but we did find it a wee bit strange that we only had one duvet and one pillow. A very big duvet and pillow, but one nonetheless...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Therese M
Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 16 January 2012

I’ve stayed in Villa Soy 2 times already coming to Erlangen on business and it’s a very nice, family owned hotel. The location is perfect, a walking distance from the center and the university, breakfast is included is very rich and free Wi-Fi.

Room Tip: For a woman traveling alone its advice to ask for a high floor since the first floor rooms are on st...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business