“Simply lovely”

Ranked #9 of 36 Hotels in Erlangen
Orlando, Florida
“Simply lovely”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed at this lovely hotel and restaurant for six nights last week (Sep, 2013). For a small town Erlangen has a concentration of many restaurants/bars and hotels in the town center, but the Altmann's Stube is a simply one of their best to stay in. It is located at about 10-minute walk from the train station, and run by a nice couple - the husband (a Swiss native from Wengen who runs and rides mountain bike) is in charge of the kitchen of its superb small restaurant (two-starred by Michelin; do not miss and do make reservation; avoid the two tables near its entrance that opens directly into kitchen). The decorative plants in front, in courtyard and near windows of some rooms are just lovely. The wifi internet connection in rooms is a bit slow, but such is difficult to avoid in most family-run small facilities. The staff is very responsive. Fresh fruits are provided daily for free. I stayed in single Room 10 which contains all that I needed. The shower is small but adequate (no bathtub). They put a map of suggested jogging/running route in your room - a first I have ever seen in my travels and one I took advantage of. The price is very reasonable. I would return to this place if I ever return to Erlangen and recommend this place to all visitors of Erlangen without reservation.

Room Tip: Rooms 9 and 10 are singles next to courtyard with lovely flowers and plants in front of windows. I l...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Czech first
Tuoro sul Trasimeno, Italy
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel for four nights. The staff was very nice and polite, especially Frau Altmann-Morelli. The room was very clean and we could have everything we needed. Also the breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed 13 June 2013

The Altmann's Stube Hotel and Restaurant is owned and operated by the Altmann-Morelli family. They are very helpful and accomodating, even going to far as to find proper adapters for an American's computer.

As for the hotel, the rooms are sizable, by European standards, and reasonably priced. The furnishings are up-to-date and the rooms are clean. We especially liked the hard beds. Breakfast is not elaborate but is appropriate for a small hotel. Our only complaint was that there was some noise from adjoining rooms.

The restaurant is reputed to be the best in Erlangen, and we would agree with that judgment. The meals are expensive, but elegant (everybody--but us--was dressed for dinner on the night we went), and they expect you to spend the evening. We were seated at 7:30 and received our entrees at 9:00. That is not to say that the service was slow--it was attentive and responsive--just that they want you to savor the courses. My dinner was the best I had on this trip to Europe. The leek soup was truly outstanding, and my cod was done and seasoned just right. It is perhaps the best fish I have ever eaten. My wife was not as enamoured of her saddle of venison, but she may have expected something different. The dessert was delicious and festively presented. It is really a very fine place and a pleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 2 January 2006

My wife accompanied me on a business trip to Erlangen on her first trip to Germany. Instead of the business-class NH hotel where I often stay, I wanted her to have the more comfortable setting of a small european hotel within a short walk of the main train station. I have eaten at Altmann's Stube on previous trips, but had not stayed at the hotel. The restaurant is gourmet-oriented, though with reasonable prices for the quality, and is among the best I've tried in Erlangen.

The street appearance is very deceptive since a large portion of the hotel is off a back courtyard. They have one wing of designated non-smoking rooms. The room was quite large with a reasonably sized bathroom and was very pleasantly furnished. In-room dining is an option, unusual for a small hotel.

The innkeepers were very friendly and had the kitchen make up a special meal when my wife came down with a touch of flu.

Erlangen is primarily a Siemens company town and is also home to a number of universities with a focus on medicine. Although there are some interesting sights in town and good shopping, it is not really a tourist oriented town. However, there are quick and easy train connections to Nuremberg to the south (15-20 minutes) and Bamberg to the northwest (~30 minutes) which both have excellent tourist sites close to the respective main train stations.

Note: Paid parking (5 euro/day) in a secure underground garage located about a 3 minute walk from the hotel is available with advance notice. The hotel is also reasonably close (10 minute walk over flat terrain) to the train station for those without a car.

7 Thank eneljee