“Enchanting”

Neuschwanstein Castle Small-Group Day Tour from Munich
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Yet another of the eccentric King Ludwig II's magnificently odd architectural creations.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“Enchanting”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

You cant miss this castle when driving in the area, it is just enchanting, high on a hill. You have to go by bus (fee) or walk to the castle, we opted for the bus up as it was quite a hike towards the castle, although we did walk down (you can get a horse and cart up too). The bus drops you off at a very high bridge (about 100ft up) just for the photo opportunity of the castle and the view is just fabulous although don't look down. This is just a truly beautiful castle and definitely worth the trip up just to get a few pictures.

Visited August 2013

27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Just Incredible!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Goodness, this castle and the surrounding area is just spectacular! With the Bavarian Alps as the background, the castle is nestled in and is a majestic site. I didn't get to go into the castle because tickets were not available - so get them early online (at least 2 days in advance!) Even without tickets you are able to go up to the castle and explore the grounds. Make sure you head over to the bridge for a perfect photo op, but be warned - it can get packed like a can of sardines!

Visited May 2014
Cambridge, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Truly Fairytale-esque”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I can see why it is reputed that Walt Disney himself created his Disneyland castle based off of King Ludwig's.

It is not a particularly old castle, but the story behind it is fascinating concerning its former Royal resident.

The photos you see of it online and in travel brochures and history books just don't do it justice; it truly is nestled amongst the isolated heights of Bavaria, overlooking swaths of trees and lonesome lakes.

You have the option of hiking up to the castle, or taking a horse drawn carriage. I hiked up to it, the road is easy but steep and surrounded by coniferous trees.

I went in the wintertime, when everything was completely covered in snow, and to me it was just as beautiful if it were green and full of springtime blooms. It was also significantly NOT crowded, probably due to the snow and cold. (in fact, the picture in my profile at the time of writing this review is one I took myself of it during this time).

After your tour, you are more than welcome to grab a hot meal or beer in any one of the little shops and pubs at the bottom of the trail.

The one downside was that you don't get to see MUCH of the inside of the castle. I was under the impression that visitors could see a bit more of it, but you only see a handful of rooms (part of this may be due to the fact that certain corridors of the castle were never finished, but I'm not certain).

Visited November 2013
Dublin, Ireland
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Awe-inspiring”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Amazing architecture in a surreal setting. I count myself as being very lucky to have visited Neuschwanstein Castle, and the experience is still with me and will stay with me for the rest of my life.
It's not just the castle that's awe-inspiring but the surrounding areas as well. Idyllic views from this roof top palace are outstanding.

The castle is on the grandest of scales. Every room I entered was a jaw dropping experience.

Visited July 2013
Payson, Utah
“Beautiful views, and few tourists”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

On a recent trip I took to Europe, I spent two and a half weeks exploring the culturally rich palaces and castle ruins that adorn France and Germany. I was captivated by their size and elegance. In the United States we are starved of these elegant buildings and histories. As with many of the castles I toured, the structures and inhabitants were more ancient than our country. For us the seventeen hundreds seem ages away, but for Europeans that was only yesterday.

Neuschwanstein Castle was beautiful; however it was crowded. We took a horse drawn carriage ride up to the castle, but they packed us in like sardines. We chose a seat in the very front next to the driver, which ended up being a bad idea since horse hair flew in our face the whole way. The inside of the castle was really amazing but we weren't allowed to take pictures. I would recommend walking up to the bridge above the caste (actually built by Ludwig II). The views are amazing from there. If you want a more personalized experience, I would continue on the trail after the bridge because you will still get spectacular views, only without all the tourists.

Visited April 2014