“Perfectly cooked and presented food”

Al Torchio Trattoria Vinoteca
Ranked #389 of 3,680 Restaurants in Munich
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
“Perfectly cooked and presented food”
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

As we were from the UK in town for the bayern man utd game, me and my 2 sons checked TA for the best Italian in town. This was no 2 of all Restaurants and the food was excellent. Don't expect an extensive menu or pizza, but what they do is perfect. Starters mozzarella tomatoes, avocado prawns and Gnocchi were lovely. Mains of veil, fillet steak and Ravioli were superb. Very extensive wine list and lovely expresso coffee made this a great experience.
Well worth the 100 euro price tag for 3.

1 Thank Tonywarwick

Almelo, The Netherlands
“A delicious lunch”
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Very friendly staff, decent prices, delicious food.
The wines are picked with care, we enjoyed a lovely Italian (Verdicchio).
5 starts, highly recommendable.
Bit reservations are required, the place is small.

Visited March 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
“A bit of real Italy in Munich”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is a wonderful small restaurant that brings an authentic and excellent taste of Italy in Munich. I've lived in Italy and am a picky and critical eater, and this placed just wowed us.

Munich has wonderful beer and breads, and even warm, soft pretzels. Great cuisine, not so much. That explains the incredible number of Italian restaurants in Munich, I mean a seriously extreme number, sometimes several on the same block. And most of them just average (or worse). Al Torchio is the place that you want to go for authentic, unpretentious, and excellent Italian food.

My sweetheart and I arrived on Friday evening around 7:30pm and found a cute, small restaurant with just a half dozen tables. We were greeted in graciously in Italian, chatted a brief bit and then shown to our table. The interior is simple, comfortable and clean.

We started with ordering water and looking over the menu. It's a short menu that is updated regularly, so you won't find all the cliche dishes on it. But everything is house made and well made. We shortly received a basket of peasant style bread, which was quite nice. One minor negative was the packet of store-bought bread sticks (grassini), which were out of character for the place.

We started by sharing the eggplant (aubergine) appetizer. The eggplant was cooked beautiful and the nicely complemented by the light tomato sauce. All fresh flavors well prepared.

We ordered two pasta dishes, one a "duetto" of raviolis and the other fettuccine a truffle and pecorino cheese sauce. The raviolis, round with a ricotta herb filing and square with a cheese squash sauce, had a beautiful tarragon sauce. Each of us found a favorite with a different one of the raviolis, both being great. The fettuccine was tasty, delicate, and quite good. It needed just a slight addition of cheese, and was also great.

We shared a main course of trota salmonata (trout with the pink/orange color of salmon) with a light lemon sauce. Trota salmonata is an old favorite of mine from my time in Italy, and this version did not disappoint. It was perfectly cooked, lightly seasoned and served with a side of sauteed vegetables al dente...just right.

The wine list was nice and reasonably priced. We had a few glasses of Sicilian red (which I careless didn't record the name). It was well balance and a great complement to the food.

I ended the meal with a solo espresso. Not the best espresso,and this is the one place that I would recommend a bit of work.

All told, the meal was 60 EUR, before a tip. We spent almost that much at a touristy brewery pub for mediocre food, so this made us appreciate the meal even more.

All in all, a lovely meal and I would happily go back again. And a romantic meal that left us smiling and content, ready for the cold winter evening.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank 8cu
“Fantastic Restaurant”
Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

My wife and I were visiting Munich while I was at a conference. We went to the Universität U-bahn in hopes of finding some interesting restaurants and were well rewarded. Terry saw some professors going in to have dinner at Al Torchio, so we followed. The waiter/part-owner was as friendly as he could be. Between my poor German and his spotty English, we were able to come to an understanding of the menu items. The champignon canneloni with basil was fantastic. The pasta was extremely fresh as were all the other ingredients. We were so impressed, we made a special effort to get there the next night and had sole, buffalo mozarella, and ravioli with fungi. Once again we found the food to be just perfect. The recipes had few ingredients but well employed. The interior of the restaurant is aesthetically pleasing and also somewhat minimal. Eating here was an altogether pleasing experience.

4 Thank Joseph W