“Breakfast was excellent!”

Ranked #342 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Breakfast was excellent!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed in this hotel for two nights. We had a room at the very top of the hotelm, it looked like an attic. The elevator only goes to the fourth floor, so we had to go up the stairs afterwards, whcih was fine. It was comfortable, but no double bed. They had two single beds joined together. The room was clena, but the carpet by the entrance was wet.... We never figured out why.
The staff was very friendly. Internet is available in one computer at the lobby, but is extremely slow.
Location is very convenient, we found a laundrymat nearby too.

Room Tip: Don't book rooms in the attic
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

The main issue I have with this hotel is that it advertises itself as a four star hotel. It's not. It lacks the basic services to call itself a three-star hotel, let alone four.

Specifically, reception closes at midnight. When I booked on Holiday City, I was asked to state what time I would arrive, yet I was given no warning about this. So I arrive off the train at 1am to find a note on the door telling me to go to a different hotel and get my key. My taxi from the station has already gone, so I am standing in the street of an unfamiliar city at 1am with my luggage and no idea where this second hotel is or how to get to it (the receptionist left an address but no map or directions.) Fortunately a taxi appears soon and knows how to get to the address given. 10 minutes later, key in hand, I go in through the night door...and discover that the elevators are in the closed part of the hotel. My gym instructors will be very impressed that I managed to get my 25kg suitcase and other luggage up four flights of stairs on my own.

So then I get out my computer and attempt to send a document that is due urgently. I had checked the website and confirmed that the hotel had internet, but I couldn't see any sign of it in my room. No LAN cable, no instructions on how to set up wifi. No reception to ask for help, no instructions on how to dial out on the phone to ask the other hotel's reception for help. I had to get in a taxi, carrying a flash drive with my document, and go back to the second hotel. The night receptionist could not give me instructions for the wifi OR find a computer that would allow me to send my file, and got defensive with me when I complained. Had I known that this would be the case I would have made alternative arrangements, but the hotel's website had led me to believe that I would be able to use internet in my room. That's what bothers me. Same with the reception/elevators closing: had I booked expecting a 2-star hotel, it would have been different, but this hotel advertises itself on several websites as a four-star hotel. Round-the-clock assistance is a staple feature of a THREE-star hotel, let alone a four-star one.

In the end, it was the taxi driver who helped me, by recommending another hotel. Initially he thought I was just comparing Germany to my own country...he quickly changed his mind after he saw the place. When I returned my key, the morning receptionist was polite and the man from the second hotel had obviously filled her in on my situation.

I was in the room for five minutes tops, but from what I saw it was spacious but shabby.

To summarise, it wasn't the hotel's practices themselves that bothered me, it was the fact that I was promised things that were not delivered:
*Four-star service: If you have big chunks of time when nobody is available to help your guests, you are not a four-star hotel. If your guests have no access to an elevator - even for part of the day - you are not a four-star hotel.
*I was not warned that reception would be closed, even though I specifically stated on the booking form that I would arrive at 1am.
*Internet: the hotel's website stated that it would be available, yet I had no access to it, which could have had serious consequences for me. As I said, I would have happily made alternative arrangements if I had been given the whole truth.

By the way, the Westin Grand Munich Arabellapark took me at 2am and were excellent for the entire duration of my stay. It was more expensive than I had planned to pay, but it was much better value for money than the €100 per night I was going to be charged at Hotel Deutsches Theater.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank kiwimusume

Travellers are raving about these Munich hotels

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

I chose this hotel because it is in walking distance of the main train station and terribly convenient. The building is located in a very seedy street, but it is a gracious old hotel. The staff couldn't be more delightful and helpful and the room we had was incredibly generous in size. Didn't eat there. The proximity to a busy street would make it too noisy to leave the windows open. Marienplatz is about 15 mins walk away and there are many lovely places to eat along that route. Very handy to all public transport. About a 70 euro cab trip to the airport.

Room Tip: Just ask for a good room.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

The location of this hotel is very good, but it is gennerally run down and the service leaves much to be desired.

I arrived early and waited a couple of minutes for Rehan, the young female receptionist to keep prattling on her cell phone in Turkish. She clearly had no intention of paying attention to me until I made my presence known. Then Rehan told me there was no room ready, which was fine, as it was early in the morning. She had me do the paperwork and said it was OK to leave the luggage. The only challenge is that they have no secure area for the luggage and the reception area is very small. I left the suitcase by her desk, and informed her that I would be coming back very late that day.

When I came back later that evening, the elderly gentleman was pulling double duty, tending to the bar and minding the reception area. After he was able to tear himself away from the bar, he was totally unable to find my room and booking. He was quite positive that the hotel was totally booked and there was no room for me, which totally baffled me, as I had made the reservation months ahead, and had checked in that morning, with my luggage sitting there in the lobby.

He kept trying to leave me there so he could go and attend to his bar customers. I was finally able to convince him to look really hard, and he found my room. The room was at the top floor, which meant I had to carry the suitcase up a flight of stairs through rather desolate hallways. The room was very basic. The hotel would really benefit from a major renovation. There are much better hotels in the same area, so I would choose another one.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank JasmineMarti
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

We found this hotel on TripAdvisor and I have to say I really appreciate all the reviews. We loved this hotel. The older gentleman who was the night clerk was extremely helpful. We stayed on the 5th floor so we had to take the elevator to the 4th floor and walk up one flight of steps - not a big deal. The room was neat and clean. It viewed the main street and with the snow falling it was beautiful. I have already recommended this hotel to friends.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tillmanism
Thessaloniki, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights in July and we were pleased with the services it provide.

The location was almost perfect. We were able to walk to all major sights in Munich during our stay (except the Olympic Stadium and the Schloss Nymphenburg; there is a metro station and a tram station very close to the hotel). Although the area at nights made us sometimes feel not so safe to walk through...

The room and the bathroom were spacious enough and very clean. We liked the breakfast ( we felt that nothing was missing).

Upon our arrival at the reception desk there was a young woman. She wasn't friendly or professional at all. Didn't even informed us about the hours the breakfast was served.. But the older man in the afternoon was great. He was very helpful with everything we asked.

The only things we didn't like: were the constructions taking place just outside the hotel and the fact that the reception closes at night so you have to get in with your own key from a door at the back of the hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank ellethwen
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed in this hotel for two nights in December. We were very happy with the value for money. We were in a five bed room that backed on to the scaffolding mentioned in a previous review. There was no work being carried out while we were there. Otherwise, I could imagine it would be quite noisy in addition to a lack of privacy. We had almost no noise at all because we faced the "under renovation theatre in the back of the building".

The room was spacious compared to other similar set ups we experienced. The toilet was smelly with that urine in the grout type of smell. The toilet was slightly removed from the beds, so it was only an issue when we were in there. The sheets were clean and everything else was fine. It was very convenient and we would stay there again. One point to keep in mind, there is no wifi. This is a bit of a pain. Also, no bar fridge. But, value for money was terrific. The service was not very friendly, but the girl allowed a slightly late check out to fit in with our plans. They were quite flexible. You can eat breakfast in the cafe downstairs. We chose to take care of our own breakfast. Oh, and the lift is tiny and fits on three people in at a time....fine for short trips.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family