“Excellent budget hotel”

Leonardo Hotel Munchen City Center
Ranked #159 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Hotel Leonardo is an excellent budget hotel in Munich. The location is convenient as 5 minute walk from the Central train station. Very easy to walk to the museums and Central square. Front of house staff were very pleasant, well informed and organised. The hotel room was modern and very tidy. All staff, including charming breakfast waiter, seemed committed to make our stay as pleasant as possible.Based on my experience, I would recommend Leonardo Hotels as a chain to use whilst traveling in Europe.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 May 2013

When choosing this hotel you gotta make it clear for yourself, what are you expecting from it. The hotels location is not for relaxing time and enjoying marvellous views. Its for travellers and maybe large conference groups of builders. Neighbourhood is a ghetto-like, and 15 meters across are numbers of hostels...numberless number, I might say. To tell the truth, it was kinda chilling walking there after 11 in the evening. And it was my 1st impression of Muchen. Not the best one.
Room we had was the SMALLEST room I've ever came across in the hotels. No 4 stars of that I'm shure. Simply bed and roots to it - not even a room for case to be opened, not to tell 2 cases. Still clean and tidy, but need repainting walls.
Shower room is comfortable and clean. But lacks simple things such as a place to put your toothbrush in and a tower-dryer. They ask you to save the nature by not changing towels every day and yet no dryer.
Bathrobe - 25 euro deposit, and no slippers. I mean, hello! Is it a 4 stars hotel or what?
Other "impressive" thing is WiFi....PAYED Wifi! 15 euro for a day?! Guys, what are you smoking?
Now good stuff.
Breakfast was good, with fresh fruits and bakery, eggs, pancakes and numbers of meats. Its not the best I saw but it was good and fulfilling.
Hotel staff was the best part of the hotel - they did their jobs, and they did it good. On some level I think they know that this place is not what everyone expect from Leonardo hotels and try their best to make you feel better.
Overall positives were: comfortable bed, nice shower, good breakfast, kind staff. 1 star for people working there, 1 star for breakfast and 1 star for pre-payed adult films =)))

3  Thank Alexander B
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Booked a non smoking room but were not given one. Atmosphere smoky and air conditioning did not go. Checked in late first night so went with the flow but it spoilt our stay.Nice room aesthetically, excellent bathroom, authentic and extensive German breakfast, friendly staff. Environs not great.

Room Tip: Always insist on a nonsmoking room
Reviewed 13 May 2013

"Leonardo Hotel München City Center" is the most horrible experience of hundreds of hotels I've ever stayed in my live that ranged between 3 - 5 stars, that's why I have to write this to warn other travelers that want to enjoy a comfortable stay in Munich:

- They gave me a smokers room although I booked non-smoking! A DISGUSTING SMELL was in the room that made a good night's sleep impossible!!! I was waking up with a horrible headache the next day.

- NEVER EVER 4 Star Hotel!!! Very tiny and mediocre room, outlets not working, transparent blinds.

- No hotel parking lots but stating in their hotel information.

People at the reception are very friendly but the guest relationship manager completly arrogant and ignorent!

Pick another hotel if you want to make sure to have a good time in Munich!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank GlobalPlayer23
Yoram B, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Leonardo Hotel Munchen City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Dear Sir,
thank you for your feedback here.
I am surprised to read from you here, although we have had a long email conversation.
Neverless, I would like to answer also here:
In our hotel we have still a few smoking rooms left because of our regular guests who prefer those. Sometimes we are fully booked, then we need to give those also to other guests. As we did not have any preference of your wish (reservation was made through travel agent), and the check in was late, we did not have any other chance.
We have parking lots, but not too many. We offer also the public parking for nearly the same rate (1,-€ more).
For any questions please do not hesitate to contact me or my team.

Greatings from Munich!

Reviewed 13 May 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights, the first impression wasn't so good, it's not a very attractive neighbourhood... Lots of hostels and weird gambling places... The room was afwul, It was very very small and it didn't give a very clean impression. It didn't look like the pictures at the website at all! At night (around 3-4 o'clock) there was a lot of noise coming from drunk people. At 7 o'clock in the morning construction workers began there working day with - yet again - a lot of noise. Thank god the breakfast was ok, otherwhise I would have searched for another hotel for the 2th night! For the money we payed I would have expected a very different hotel.

Dear Mr. Janssens,

I am sorry for the inconveniences you had.
It is correct, that there are a lot of other hotels and hostels nearby, as we are located it the city center.
The constructions at the building nearby startet quite early yes. But as the newly agreement with our neighbours, they are not allowed to start before 08:30 am Monday until Friday and not before 09:30 am on Saturday. Sundays and holidays no works at all will take place.
Although I would be happy if you give us a second chance: please contact me in advance, so I could arrange something for you.
I wish you a great day!

Reviewed 9 May 2013

This hotel served myself and my boyfriend very well for our 5-day stay in Munich. It was superbly clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly, helpful, and efficient. Although the breakfast was an additional €12 each, it was well worth it as there was a massive selection of food (including scrambled eggs and sometimes sausages) as well as coffees, teas, and juices. The hotel is very conveniently located - only 2 min walk from the main train station and within easy walking distance of Marianplatz. Our only minor complaint was that the bathroom door did not close entirely, which would have allowed for more privacy. It's also worth noting that the room was very quiet with the windows sealed shut, but on the odd occassion that we opened them to let in fresh air, quite a lot of building work or night life noise seeped in. Overall this didn't affect our impression of the hotel though and I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your positive and constructive feedback. We are really happy, that you enjoyed your stay! :)

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Stayed at the Leonardo Hotel München City Center, for two nights and found it to be quite pleasant. The hotel overall is very clean and up to date- the exec rooms are large with good bathroom and room facilities - though i would advice you ask for a room away from the main road. There are two youth hostel across the road and the youth tend to stay up all night drinking and singing - very very loudly.

The exec room had a two bed setup with air con and heating - each of which can be turned off and its the first hotel that I have strayed in Europe in which the room windows can be fully opened (not a little but allot). Anyway going back to beds, two bed isn't a issue but the blankets or to be more pierce "handkerchiefs" are a big issue. They will keep you warmish but are too small for anyone taller then 5'8 - bigger blankets please - The pillows are a plenty but a bit random, again need a rethink. The bed themselves are soft but firm good enough for a short trip.

The bathroom is will equipped with a excellent shower with good water flow and hot water on demand! - very very good. As well as a shaving mirror, soaps. hair dryer etc

Rest of the room - TV, desk, min bar, tea/coffee. large single sofa, wardrobe with a mini safe.

There was a good wifi signal in the room i stayed in and down stairs but its at a extra cost.

The breakfast is the usual European affair, with the hotel offering a very good selection across the board - well done!

In regards to the surrounding area, you are in Munich center, with tram and under ground yards away and plenty of shops around. A 20 min walk will take you into the main shopping areas with a selection of takeaway and restaurants though there is a very nice Italian restaurant connected to the hotel itself. They offer eat and takeaway options.

There is a supermarket not to far away if you are stopping for more then a few days.

Please keep in mind, being Munich city center there are a few gentleman clubs nearby - might not be idea if your are travelling with kids. The location on the whole felt safe and most of the people I met were nice.

The hotel staff, very good, efficient and helpful!

Room Tip: Ask for high up rooms or away from the road and Youth hostel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business