“Location good, staff rude”

Motel One Muenchen-Sendl. Tor
Ranked #21 of 388 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 11 November 2010

This budget hotel is very modern and the rooms are small but clean and hip. This is probably the most affordable hotel in Munich but the staff was rude and they charge you for everything extra...like "renting" an alarm clock for 5 euros. Ridiculous! The location is right next to the train and town.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 7 November 2010

The ambience of the Hotel One lobby makes you know that you are staying someplace special. The hotel was easy to access from the U-Line and was within walking distance of everything that we wanted to see.

The rooms are fairly small by American standards, but as we were there for only a couple of days and we didn't hang out in our room much - it was great! The front desk people were really helpful and we appreciated that they held our bags for us upon checkout so we could go explore the city more before we had to leave this wonderful city.

Reviewed 5 November 2010

My husband and I scored on an awesome deal for 5 days at Motel One in October. This was our second trip to Europe so we didn't expect large (North American-like) hotel rooms. When we arrived at Motel One, we were so pleased and shocked with what we saw. It's super clean, modern and very appealing (more so than the 4 star hotel we stayed in, in Paris the year before). The staff were extremely friendly, helpful and fluent in English. We checked in 5 hours earlier than we were suppose to and they still set us up with a room right away without any extra charges. The wifi is free if used in the lobby (a little inconvenient at times, but not a big deal). Breakfast was fantastic! It was a buffet and they had eggs, croissants, buns, fruits, crackers, cereal, cheese, meats, yogurt, coffee, tea and probably more that I can't remember. Basically, whatever you see on the website is what you really get in person. No camera tricks, no hidden secrets. The location is also literally right next to a metro stop (not noisy tho.). It's far enough to be away from the large crowds, but takes only 10 mins. or less to walk to City Hall, Hoftbrauhause, Hauptbahnhof Train Station, the food market and tonnes of shops for shopping. We would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 3 November 2010

Getting there:
Take any train from the airport to Hauptbahnhof. While you're still underground, transfer to the U1 or U2 train and go one stop to Sendlinger Tor. The ticket you buy at the airport will include this transfer. Always remember to validate your subway ticket before you go down the stairs to the train platforms. Not doing so could result in a fine. Hang on to your validated ticket until you are out of the subway system. At the Sendlinger Tor subway exit, you will alight at an old brick gate (of the original city wall). This is the "Tor". Facing the gate, turn immediately to your left and walk up Herzog-Wilhelm Strasse. You will see the turquiose banners of the hotel. It's only about 20 meters. It is a 15-30 second walk. I wish I had known all this, and that's why I'm telling you. There's really no other public transport from the airport. This method was perfectly good. Not confusing. Note: you must open the doors to the trains yourself. They are not automatic.
The Hotel:
The Hotel was nice and clean. Very modern and hip looking. Nice crowd. Fairly quick check in, but, strangely, they had me pay in full when I checked in. That's a first. They asked me if I wanted to add the cost of breakfast on to my bill. It was only 7,50 Euros. You might as well. There's no where to eat in the immediate vicinity. There is a Starbucks up Sendlinger Tor towards Marianplatz (about a 5-7 minute walk). The breakfast consisted of yogurt, cereal, juices, 3 kinds of bread/rolls/croissants, coffee/tea/hot chocolate, cheese, salami, ham, tomatos, fruit salad and hard boiled eggs. It was a serve yourself buffet and not one soul asked me for my room number or any proof that I pre-paid for breakfast.
Speaking of Marian Platz, it is much closer than you would think from looking at the map. The city itself if very walkable if you are used to walking. The only thing I regret is the walk from the Hauptbahnhof to the hotel with my luggage. Don't do that if you don't have wheels on your bag. If you DO do that, watch for the bike lane. It's on the side walk and a lot of people politely rang their bike bells at me. Look both ways before crossing that bike lane!
Ok, back to the hotel description. The room is fairly small, but clean and streamline and modern. They may have taken the whole bauhaus minimalist aesthetic a tad too seriously. But it was fine. Just plan ahead a little because they don't provide much in the way of amenities or toiletries. No kleenex, no soap*, no shampoo, no conditioner, no wash cloth, no lotion, no mini bar, only one plastic cup a day, and if you leave your used cup in sight, you will not get another one the next day, one hand towel and one larger towel. *They give you ONE bottle of liquid soap per day which is to take care of all you handwashing, bathing and shampooing needs. (See photo). It wasn't enough for me. I did ask for and receive more. I would recommend either bringing some supplies of your own or, if you forget, there is a Lush Store near the Starbucks. And the KaufHaus near Marianplatz also has some nice lotions and soaps in the basement. Let's talk about toilet paper. German toilet paper is made from the finest quality sandpaper. This was not SO bad, but not what we're used to in the US for sure.
The hotel was pin-drop quiet! The bed was perfectly comfortable. There was adjustable heat. I don't know if there was free wifi. There were computers in the lobby (not free). There is a bar in the lobby for coffee and alcoholic beverages. It's a nice place to hang out.
I hope the information I'm providing doesn't give the impression that it is a bad hotel. I liked it very much and would stay there again. It's very close to transportation, the tour buses and walkable sights. I'm only mentioning the minimalist quality so that you will be prepared when you stay there.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank Intrepid_Traveler13
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I was happy with this hotel. I think it was almost perfect, inexpensive, great location, good English speaking reception staff, excellent breakfast (whose price also covered in-room wifi), posh tv, comfy bed, clean and efficient. What I didn't like? No soap was provided, just a small bottle of shower gel. And indeed there was no soap dish either at the basin or the shower so it was a bit inconvenient. That's all.

What surprised me was that they did not give me fresh towels on the second day. Admittedly I left the used towels on the hooks but I fully expected them to be changed as there was no notice / information at all indicating otherwise. But not a big problem.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I was lucky enough to be able to find and book this modern-styled hotel during my stay in Munich for Oktoberfest. The location is fantastic, it is near to the main attractions but yet quiet at the same time. The room is clean and comfortable and they were very polite too. During Oktoberfest, they even provided a map to guide you around Munich and around 'Wiesn' as well.

I think it's definitely a good value for money hotel and I would definitely book with them again the next time I visit Munich!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2010

Hotel is graded 2 stars but is very good. It is new (1 year old), clean and nicely decorated. As was mentioned in previous reviews the rooms are a bit small but well organized so they feel much bigger. No real closet though (you hang your cloth in a concealed space behind the bed headboard). As usual in Germany the double bed is actually 2 single beds connected and you have 2 single blankets. Shower and toilet are very nice although the water were draining a bit slow (so you are standing in water in the shower). There is a flat screen TV in the room. Wi-Fi in the room is free if you order breakfast (7.5 Euro; October 2010). If you don’t want to pay it you can still use the free Wi-Fi downstairs in the lounge (need to get a daily code from the reception). Had some problems with the room Wi-Fi; It stopped working suddenly but beside that the speed is OK. Breakfast between 7-11; very good and plenty of food. The dining area can get a bit crowded and the space next to the buffet a bit tight but nothing a bit of patient can’t solve. Be careful not to exit your room while the inner build-in-key is in a “locked” state; if you do so you won’t be able to re-enter your room and you will need to go down to the reception for them to come and open it. All in all the hotel is very recommended; A good value for your money!