“A bit expensive for what you get. ”
Review of Am Sendlinger Tor

Am Sendlinger Tor
Ranked #352 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“A bit expensive for what you get. ”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I travelled here with 4 friends. We arrived at approximately 10am and despite an email sent in advance requesting options of booking in early we were directed to the luggage room and told to return at 2pm. It wasn't a huge deal as we were happy to find a bar and drink beer but would have been nice to have the option if a room was unoccupied.

The hotel itself is very conveniently located to the centre of Munich. Marienplatz was only a 10 minute stroll and Theresienwiese (where Octoberfest is held) was an extremely easy 15 minute walk.

The hotel is not terrible but does borderline a top range hostel. It's clean and the staff efficient. The shower can only be described as 'Not fit for purpose' as it's extreme small and no matter what you attempt to do with the shower curtain the entire bathroom floods.

No breakfast options are included but there are plenty of cafés nearby.

All in all, not a bad hotel. It's got a great location and serves it's purpose. However, I thought that 368 euros for 3 nights at what effectively is a hostel was a little steep.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Thornton, Colorado
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My fiance and I stayed in this hotel while we were traveling around Germany in May. It does have a great location, within walking distance to the subways, shops and restaurants. Another perk was the free wifi, which was wonderful when we wanted to relax after exploring all day. That is pretty much where the pros stop. The room that we were in was right in front of an apartment complex, and a few dumpsters, and was quite noisy, to the point we couldn't nap during the day. There were men walking up and down the stairwells in front of our window throughout the day as well. There was no AC, which I expected from most hotels in Germany, but there was no fan either, so in order to cool off you had to open the windows, which led to entirely too much noise, especially at night, or take a cold shower, which eventually wore off. We stayed here for 3 nights, and all but the first night, people were running up and down the hall at all hours of the night, yelling and singing, and definately not taking into consideration that there may be other people trying to sleep. These halls are tiny, with barely any room to move so you can hear everything that goes on. We tried to switch rooms, but the guy at the front wanted nothing to do with it, stating that all the rooms were booked. He was rude from the first day we got in. He never acknowldged us, cared about any of our complaints, and as soon as he realized we spoke English, he stuck his nose in the air (we never had this problem anywhere else). We had to ask for shampoo and soap when we ran out (the room gives you tiny bottles to use), and when we left he never bothered looking at us or asking how our stay was. This was by far the WORST hotel I have ever been to, and I travel a lot. It's a good value, but I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank agraves10

Travellers are raving about these Munich hotels

Charlotte Amalie, null, United States
Reviewed 26 March 2014

You can't beat the location.

I came specifically for a Strasse fest and the hotel was perfectly located for that and to get around the city in general.

Just do not expect any special furnishing and you will be ok.

I found the staff to be as pleasant as to be expected at such a hotel. In fact, several times they assisted me with getting around and hosting my luggage.

I would stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Adam F
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I booked this place as I was looking for a budget hotel. I was aware of the reviews on TA but decided to go ahead anyway. What's important to remember is that regardless of the price there should be a certain minimum standard from a hotel. You can book a budget Travelodge or Premier Inn in the UK for as little as £30 a night and it's value for money. Unfortunately you cannot say the same of Am Sendlinger Tor.

When we arrived we were met by a lady receptionist who provided us with our room and wi-fi passwords. There was no information provided with regards to the reception being unmanned of an evening, which we had luckily read on here but it was probably an important piece of information that should have been provided to us. I asked how we would get back into the hotel when the reception was empty and was told to use the key after midnight. I tried the front door with the key I was provided which didn't work so asked again. I was given a completely different reason (the front door is unlocked and any Tom, Dick or Harry can walk in without a problem or being observed by an employee), and was felt to feel a little stupid by the receptionist with a surly response.

The room was adequate in size, however poor in presentation. The lock on the bathroom door was broken with the door frame cracked, the laminate floor was lifting with water damage it seemed (water from the shower in the bathroom?) and the bathroom itself in a need for a regrout. We were provided with a shower gel but this seemed to have been left by a previous occupant. Either that or the hotel keeps the same shower gels for guests as it was half empty and a bottle bought from a supermarket.

We were also provided with a television which was a 15 inch screen based on top of a 7ft wardrobe, so that would have been difficult to watch, especially as there was no remote control to be found so switching channels would have been a tiresome experience. If you have children you may want to use the wi-fi to watch videos on a tablet or access the internet, but this was lacking in performance, regularly cutting out or working at a snails pace.

I really wanted to be positive about this hotel as I know how difficult it is to compete with larger, more expensive establishments, but in the same breath I wanted to give an honest opinion so guests further down the line know what to expect. The problems I found can be easily fixed or improved for a small outgoing which I hope the hotel look at, because the location is perfect for families, groups or single travellers. The only concern is that value for money is lacking despite the low/competitive pricing.

Room Tip: Stay as far away from the reception as possible noting anybody can walk into the hotel when the hote...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Furmedge
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Great hotel cause it's close to everywhere, you can walk from here to museums and cafe's. Nice small rooms. I think it is good for a city hotel. It has a small reception but you dont need anything except room :) I was glad to be stay there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank stkapucu
Munich
Reviewed 4 January 2014

After changing plans I had to find a reasonably priced and central hotel over New Year's Eve. No easy feat and this hotel was the cheapest I could get - and it is for a reason.

To be fair all staff members were efficient (check in/out), extremely friendly (late night bottle of beer at reception) and helpful (storing luggage).

Other than that: avoid, unless you cannot find any other place. My room was small (no worries), the heating was either on or off, the chair was wobbly with one leg fixed with gaffa tape, walls are paper thin and the shower / bath room was awful.

The last night I stayed a chinese couple had a shouting match entertaining the 3rd floor until 1.30 a.m. and banging on the door only shut them up for 5 minutes.

It's moments like these that a 24/7 reception comes in handy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Hello-Ms-B
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Good location for those, like us, visiting the Christmas market (and within a reasonable walk of the centre of Munich and what seemed to be the main restaurant area).but otherwise fairly average. Good sized single room but with a small bathroom and very small shower cubicle. Clean. My room was at the front which meant some early morning traffic noise - no problem in December when traffic light and windows closed, but could be a problem in high summer. Absolutely no catering facilities - one of the few hotels I (if not the only hotel) I have ever come across that didn't even have a breakfast room. A number of nearby cafe/bakeries though one of which they apparently have an arrangement with - although we did't use it

Room Tip: At the back may be quieter in summer months
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family