“Great ambiente, fantastic service, unbelievable location”

Schlosswirtschaft Schwaige
Ranked #577 of 3,692 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: German, European, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Munich, Germany
“Great ambiente, fantastic service, unbelievable location”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Fantastic medium sized restaurant, but divided into smaller rooms, making it feel like a cosy little restaurant. Located in one of the wings of the Nymphenburg Palace, making it a perfect stop for a meal whilst touring the neighbourhood, or as a romantic destination for two.

Meals are typical bavarian fare, or interesting novel interpretations thereof. Prices are above average, but the food sets new standards for the price category. On top of this, the staff are welcoming, friendly, and very very professional. We arrived 10 minutes early our table wasn't ready, but 3 staff members made sure that we were able to take our seats within a minute of our arrival.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the food and drink (fresh beer and very nicely chosen wines on offer), even if it was a little too warm for my liking inside. We'll definitely be back, especially once summer rolls around and the cute beer garden opens again.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank BigTwitchy

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
“Restaurant suitable for a palace”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This was a real find. Having endured a full stint of shopping in Munich with my wife the previous day I declined her kind offer of a repeat and decided to walk from our hotel, the excellent Laimer Hof, to explore the nearby Nymphenburg Palace and surrounds.

Despite threatening weather the rain held off and I had an enjoyable couple of hours strolling around until I saw the sign “Schlosswirtschaft Schwaige”. I thought it was just a pub from the fairly unprepossessing entrance, but once inside realised it was a fully-fledged restaurant. It was almost full at 1.15pm. I found out later it was the day primary school resumed in Bavaria and quite a few proud parents had brought their excited – or otherwise - youngsters for a family meal.

Despite the crowd the waiter quickly found me a table and was back promptly with my pint of draught Hofbräu Original, It was a brand to be savoured! I wasn’t that hungry so I had the ‘Rostbratwürstl vom Grill’ (six finger-length sausages) with a potato & gherkin salad. The dish was tasty and satisfying. As I was in no hurry and had brought a book with me on my travels, I ordered another pint and just soaked up the ambience.

I convinced my wife that was where we should eat on our last night in Munich and walked in at lunchtime to book a table. It’s always a good sign when the proprietor recognises you, even after only one visit.

That night we were shown to a good table. They obviously knew I was a foreigner, but I had only spoken German up to then. When they heard us talking English together the waiter quickly brought my wife a menu in English, which she gladly accepted. After some study she ordered the tomato-chive risotto with baked buffalo mozzarella, which she declared to be excellent. I had the Wiener schnitzel (veal) and fried potatoes complemented by apple horseradish and cranberries. I lived in Vienna for four years, but had never had this pairing. It was a delicious combination with the meltingly tender veal. I had a half-litre of a dry Franconia white and decided the Bavarians are just as adept at making wine as beer.

The service was excellent and it was a very enjoyable evening.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Happyladdy
Katy, Texas
“A culinary treat for a weary traveler”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

During our recent trip to Munich I knew from many hours of Tripadvisor about this restaurant. Found it with no problem since we were touring the near by palace. In my best worst sounding German I asked if they spoke English and YES!!, followed by english menus. The restaurant was my idea of the perfect balvarian eatery. I had a beef dish, served with potatoe dumplings, wonderful, Shirley had steak that was simered in a dark roue, great dishes. We both were so impressed, we went back the next night. Touring the Kings palace was hard work, tired, hungry, it made a lasting impression on me. If, no, when I go back to Muchen, I will go here to eat.

• Visited September 2013
Greenfield, Massachusetts
“Bavarian Food at It's Best”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Loved this restaurant. We visited Munich on vacation for 10 days. A friend of ours lives in Munich and he took us to the Schlosswirtschaft Schwaige for a special Bavarian dinner because it was my husband's birthday. Lovely atmosphere, lovely entrees, lovely beer, and really lovely desserts. The service was attentive and the prices were reasonable. This placed was filled with locals enjoying a leisurely Tuesday night dinner, not at all packed with tourists. Quiet, relaxed, and just a completely enjoyable experience. Looks like a great place for families and friends who want to have some of the best food Bavaria has to offer. Try the strawberry creme brûlée with lime ice cream or the apple strudel in a pool of creamy vaniila custard. Yumm.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Michie1291
Tokyo
“Excellent Bavarian food at reasonable prices”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We ate lunch in the garden and dinner in the restaurant and found the food and service excellent on both occasions. The roasted duck was particularly well-cooked and tasty (the 1/4 was plenty), and the horseradish soup was a nice new find.

Visited September 2013