“Great first restaurant for our first night”

Schlosswirtschaft Schwaige
Ranked #603 of 3,853 Restaurants in Munich
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Arrived in Bavaria this evening and came across this restaurant near our hotel. It is located next to the palace. What a location! Fantastic food. Decided on some Bavarian classics- Sausages in sourkraught then Bavarian meatballs with warm potato salad and cucumber washed down with a local beer. Great way to start our visit but feeling stuffed! Service excellent and very welcoming.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

A local man who stopped to take our picture recommended this place where we enjoyed a modern twist on traditional german cooking. Warm, welcoming and good quality, check what special nights Schwaige has when you are staying in Munich - there was a dine by candle light event while we were staying which was booked up but looked like good fun.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We got a last minute table for 6 on a busy December weekend - perfect
We got the best server, had always something to recommend and all his recommendations were actually very good - perfect
The quality of the food as well as the presentation was .... You guest it - perfect
Thanks for a great evening, we will be back when back in Munich.
Only one little bummer: if you consume for 200 euro don't charge two glass of hot water for an 81 year old lady ... That's cheap

1  Thank Matthias Z
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Fantastic medium sized restaurant, but divided into smaller rooms, making it feel like a cosy little restaurant. Located in one of the wings of the Nymphenburg Palace, making it a perfect stop for a meal whilst touring the neighbourhood, or as a romantic destination for two.

Meals are typical bavarian fare, or interesting novel interpretations thereof. Prices are above average, but the food sets new standards for the price category. On top of this, the staff are welcoming, friendly, and very very professional. We arrived 10 minutes early our table wasn't ready, but 3 staff members made sure that we were able to take our seats within a minute of our arrival.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the food and drink (fresh beer and very nicely chosen wines on offer), even if it was a little too warm for my liking inside. We'll definitely be back, especially once summer rolls around and the cute beer garden opens again.

1  Thank BigTwitchy
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This was a real find. Having endured a full stint of shopping in Munich with my wife the previous day I declined her kind offer of a repeat and decided to walk from our hotel, the excellent Laimer Hof, to explore the nearby Nymphenburg Palace and surrounds.

Despite threatening weather the rain held off and I had an enjoyable couple of hours strolling around until I saw the sign “Schlosswirtschaft Schwaige”. I thought it was just a pub from the fairly unprepossessing entrance, but once inside realised it was a fully-fledged restaurant. It was almost full at 1.15pm. I found out later it was the day primary school resumed in Bavaria and quite a few proud parents had brought their excited – or otherwise - youngsters for a family meal.

Despite the crowd the waiter quickly found me a table and was back promptly with my pint of draught Hofbräu Original, It was a brand to be savoured! I wasn’t that hungry so I had the ‘Rostbratwürstl vom Grill’ (six finger-length sausages) with a potato & gherkin salad. The dish was tasty and satisfying. As I was in no hurry and had brought a book with me on my travels, I ordered another pint and just soaked up the ambience.

I convinced my wife that was where we should eat on our last night in Munich and walked in at lunchtime to book a table. It’s always a good sign when the proprietor recognises you, even after only one visit.

That night we were shown to a good table. They obviously knew I was a foreigner, but I had only spoken German up to then. When they heard us talking English together the waiter quickly brought my wife a menu in English, which she gladly accepted. After some study she ordered the tomato-chive risotto with baked buffalo mozzarella, which she declared to be excellent. I had the Wiener schnitzel (veal) and fried potatoes complemented by apple horseradish and cranberries. I lived in Vienna for four years, but had never had this pairing. It was a delicious combination with the meltingly tender veal. I had a half-litre of a dry Franconia white and decided the Bavarians are just as adept at making wine as beer.

The service was excellent and it was a very enjoyable evening.

1  Thank Happyladdy