“Best experience in Munich for 2011!”
Review of LOUIS Hotel

LOUIS Hotel
Ranked #12 of 387 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We decided Munich would be a great get away for xmas for my partner and I to enjoy a bit of the city, the Christmas markets and a bit of downtime over the holiday season. We specifically chose the Louis Hotel as it came highly recommended and to take advantage of the special offer. We couldn't have been happier with our decision. The staff were extremely helpful and courteous; they provided and made dinner reservations for us prior to our arrival, especially helpful as we did not realise most places would be closed on Christmas Eve as that is when the holiday is celebrated. Our room was absolutely perfect, immaculate, quiet (sound-proof windows) even overlooking a busy square and extremely convenient. Special Thank You to Sandra Ebert from the front office for going above and beyond and making us feel so welcomed.

Breakfast was included and we could not have been happier with the selection, by the 2nd morning, the staff knew how we liked our coffee and eggs! Dinner at Emiko restaurant was exceptional, some of the best Japanese food I've enjoyed outside of Japan and all of the staff we're incredibly friendly and demonstrated a strong understanding of the foods and wine. The bar staff were also extremely knowledgable about all the Sake's and Shochu's on stock and we enjoyed a few late night drinks with them.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to Munich, it's well worth the price and you will be treated with respect and made to feel special. Thanks to Louis Hotel for providing a fantastic Christmas holiday!!

Room Tip: We chose the Market Deluxe Room which was very good size, modern, very comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Doina K, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at LOUIS Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear ukcurtisnish,

thank you for your nice comment! We are very happy to hear that you liked the LOUIS HOTEL and hope to welcome you again at our house soon.
Best wishes also from Sandra Ebert!

Reviewed 27 December 2011

Llegar a este hotel fue una agradable sorpresa de calidez, comfort, calidad, detalles, buen gusto, y excelente locación …

Locacion: esta ubicado en EL corazón de Munich … desde donde iras y volveras a todos los sitios de interés … frente a la plaza y junto a la Iglesia St Peter desde donde tendras la vista mas espectacular de toda Munich … incluyendo los Alpes …

Hotel: es moderno y minimalista, con una decoración de calidad y llena de detalles de diseño. Calido y moderno, es un hotel perfecto. El lobby lleno de Lounges muy modernos y comodos, el restaurante lindísimo y con excelentes vistas a la plaza. Los pasillos al igual que las habitaciones todos tienen pisos de madera, puertas y mobiliarios de la mayor calidad y buen gusto.

Habitacion: la habitación que tuvimos fue una Superior Courtyard, q entiendo es la mas básica del hotel … fue perfecta, la vista hacia el interior de un patio del hotel era muy linda y a lo lejos se veía la torre de la iglesia. El tamaño fue el adecuado, con un escritorio, una cama doble, un mueble de diseño y decoración excelentes donde estaba la caja de seguridad, la tv y el mini bar … Un closet rebatible ultra moderno, muy practico e inteligentemente usado el poco lugar. Las sabanas y toallas de buena calidad. Todas las noches al hacer la apertura de sabanas, tiraban un spray sobre las almohadas. Productos de muy buena calidad de Amenities.

El bano super moderno, impecable la limpieza.

Atencion: la recepción es super servicial, todos fueron extremadamente atentos y serviciales. En la habitación había frutas y mini cupcakes de bienvenida.

Todo fue perfecto y no dudaría en recomendar este hotel o en volver al mismo si vuelvo a Munich, GRAN hallazgo!!!!!!

1  Thank MarianaVC
Reviewed 26 December 2011

Once again the reviews at Tripadvisor helped us choose a great hotel. Location is really important to us as we like to walk everywhere and be in the middle of things. The Louis Hotel is absolutely central - right next to Marienplatz and the famous Glockenspiel, Viktualienmarkt, lots of shopping, restaurants, beer halls and the S-Bahn and U-Bahn stations.

We got to Munich on a train and from the main train station Hauptbahnhof, the hotel was a short taxi ride away. When we left Munich, we could take the train to the airport from Marienplatz station, which is less than 5 min walk from the hotel. We could push our luggage easily even on the cobbled streets.

From the hotel, we walked everywhere - to our Grayline day tours pick-up point, to most of the attractions and sights in Munich, great shopping and best of all, the Christmas markets at Marienplatz is just practically around the corner! There are branches of several famous Munich beer halls within comfortable walking distance - the Augustiner, Hobrauhaus, Lowenbrau etc - and they were great places for lunch or dinner. The famous farmer's market, the Viktualienmarkt, is right at the Louis' doorstep and we bought lots of German ham and sausages to bring home for our family!

This is a hotel that prides itself on being trendy and it does exude oodles of cool vibes - from the young hip and attractive staff members and their streamlined uniforms, to the interesting decor in the rooms especially the nifty designer cabinets, the snazzy music playing in the lobby, the subtle scent in the walkways ... the list goes on. I love Ren toiletries and was pleasantly surprised to have them in bathroom! Loved the heated bathroom floor and the heated mirror which didn't steam up after a hot shower. The rain shower was great as was the clear glass window between the shower and the room which gives your partner/spouse a nice sexy peekaboo whilst you are having a shower!There is no coffee or tea making facilities but the staff will bring a pot of hot water to the room if you ask for it.

I thought the price was fairly reasonable for such an excellent hotel with a modern trendy vibe and friendly staff in a fantastic central location. We couldn't ask for more ...

1  Thank Rach212

Dear rach212,

Thank you so much for this nice review about the LOUIS HOTEL.
It’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay this much. We would be very happy to see you back soon at the LOUIS HOTEL.

Reviewed 12 December 2011

Oh my goodness me, just back from a weekend stay at the Louis Hotel and I can see why there are so many good reviews on here! Everything wonderful that is written here is true. From the truly central location, ease of access to the S-Bahn & U-Bahn station at the Marienplatz (and therefore direct access from the airport) to the well-designed hotel.

The lobby and bar have a lovely buzz with a modern fireplace and attentive table service from an extensive cocktail list. Breakfast was just amazing – superb quality food, much of it from the produce market outside (the smoked ham is divine!) – freshly squeezed blood orange juice, mango lassi, chocolate croissants. Take your time over breakfast and enjoy.

The bedroom was lovely – the quietest air-conditioning I have ever known (I very nearly rang reception to say it wasn’t working), a thunderstorm showerhead, heated bathroom floor, gorgeous toiletries and a fluffy robe & slippers.

There has been so much attention to detail planned into the design of this hotel you just have to visit it to appreciate it – that said it isn’t a stuffy “you’ve got to be hip to stay here” hotel at all. And weirdly it smells nice too with lots of plug-in air fresheners! Thoroughly recommended for those that don’t like the big, busy 4 or 5-star hotels and want something high quality but more personal.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Doina K, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at LOUIS Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2011

Dear Firstclasslad,

thank you so much for this wonderful, detailed comment about the Louis Hotel.
We are very happy you had such a good time here and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

Those who wish to book more than one room at this hotel should be aware of a major system failure on cancellation procedures.

To cut a long story short, I originally booked two rooms for this hotel for the weekend of 3 December 2011. Due to a change of plans, I had to cancel this reservation (which you can do free of charge up to 15:00 the day prior to the stay to avoid a 80% penalty fee) and re-book the two rooms for the weekend of 16 December 2011. Now - it seems that for internal system purposes, bookings for more than one room are converted into single bookings per room. However, when it comes to cancellations, the system only captures one of the rooms, leaving others exposed to the no-show fee.

So, on Sunday 4 December at breakfast I received an email pointing out that since we had not turned up, the no show-up fee would be charged to my credit card (which you must provide to guarantee the booking), and would I show up for that Sunday? After a brief (but intense) panic, I emailed copies of the cancelation documents and the re-booking arrangements. To my astonishment, this was followed up by a rather annoying email stating that "I had canceled one room but not the other" so the no show-up fee would apply for the previous night and would I show up that day and the following?. I responded back pointing out that the mistake had to be in their internal system (as it was), and resent all bookings, cancelations and rebooking arrangements once again. I must admit, it is not the correspondence you wish to have on a Sunday, and the steely and repeated threat of a huge credit card charge didn't make it more fun.

I finally received a late evening email admitting their fault, with some very lighthearted apology (client service!! please!!). I do not know how long it will take them to get this problem fixed, but in the meantime, please be extra careful if you make multiple bookings here.

And Louis Hotel - if you pride yourself in being a luxury hotel, these things should never ever happen; not the original hitch, but much less how the whole affair was then handled.

As for the stay itself, watch this space!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank PGM67

Dear PGM67,

thank you for your comment.

At first our sincere apologies fort he lapses in service you have experienced. Rest assured that this mistake happened for the first time, we didn’t know it could occur. But we investigated and analysed your case again and also found the error. It was a malfunction in the adjustment between two different systems. Of course we already resolved it so it won’t happen again.
We have already been in contact with you by email and sorted it out, hopefully to your complete satisfaction.

For all that, we still hope to welcome you back soon at the Louis Hotel.

Reviewed 26 November 2011

I do not know what you mean by the word luxury, but the Hotel Louis does not fit all. When I arive at the hotel, no one was waiting at the door, no one has opened the door of my taxy, no one took care of my luggage, nobody could give me welcome. I had to drag my luggage in the lobby alone, (I want to clarify that when I arrived at the same time an elderly lady she too was coming to the hotel and I had to help me with his luggage, incomprehensible!) Check in the cold, all the staff were very young (beautiful physical presence and little substance)! Practically the tiny lobby, bar and restaurant are all in the same room-sized very small. After checking in I had to bring back a suitcase in a room alone, no one asked me if I needed. No note of welcome in the room, no welcome fruit, no welcome wine, only two small bottles of water. The small room had the most uncomfortable bed I've slept, seemed to sleep on the floor. The bathroom is nice, with only one sink and no shower separate from bathtub. The sofa in the room if you can call it simply, it is a wooden bench with a cushion on top, almost looks like the bench that is located inside the churches, I would say absolutely uncomfortable to watch television. Slow service at the bar, about 45 minutes to get a sneck, after 45 minutes I decided to get up and tired of waiting I left. Upon check out of course I had reckoned that I had not eaten. This is a five star? Three stars at best but I would say simply a bed and breakfast luxury, nothing more. Upon check out, of course I had to return alone to taxy up the suitcases and no one greeted me. If you go to munich stay at The Charles Hotel, i been there the first two nights (same price 300Euro/night/room) and it was just lovely and really a 5 star service.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank bestmilano

Dear bestmilano,

thank you for your feedback.

We are very sorry you did not feel welcomed when you arrived. If the bellboy is not present, our staff usually helps with the luggage, that’s the regular procedure. Of course it’s a pity you didn’t like the hotel.
Anyway we would be happy if you would give us another chance to show you the true meaning of hospitality at the Louis Hotel.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

Hotel Louis is an individual "design" hotel in Munich directly located at the famous Viktualienmarkt, near Marienplatz. The interiors are designed in natural colors and materials, kind of New York meets Skandinavia. The view to the marketplace is very nice, there is hardly any noise form the market when windows are closed. Beds are rather hard and therefor not that comfortable.
We disliked the fact that when arriving at the hotel by car, you have to park in a public parking garage opposite of the hotel. There is a walk to the lobby through a shopping arcade with cheap stores. The lobby is rather small and not impressive. In general young and friendly staff, but not on a five star level compared to other Munich hotels.
The breakfast is very nice with a view to the market. Price-quality ratio with 300,- Euro per night not that optimal.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple