“A four star hotel that really should be a three star”

ACHAT Premium Munchen-Sud
Ranked #229 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 26 March 2013

My wife and I booked this hotel recently since we were in the area for a workshop. We were pleased to find a four star hotel in the area we wanted. After a long day of travel we arrived and were very happily surprised by the friendliness of the staff. Unfortunately that is where the happiness stopped. After checking in we made our way to our hotel. The "journey" to the room was a experience in poor building design. Our room which I now feel would be a real fire hazard was down two halls and through a conference room. I was surprised to find that the rooms door had only a card reader and no secondary lock. Thus anyone with a fake key or a hotel staff would be able to enter un-announced and un-welcomed. The room was very small for the price in my opinion and that is not the only thing that was small. The towels also were meant for children, I believe. The bathroom had Kleenex but only one was left in the box. The shower was made to be large but was setup in such a way that you could do nothing to stop the water from getting all over the floor and sink. As for the positives we had a nice quite view of nature and the room was clean. Although they used the cheep German pillows that I compare to cotton candy. For me they offer no support. Generally I was surprised this hotel was considered a 4 star hotel and that the cost was accepted by myself and others for such a room. Thank god we were there for only one night. If the reservation had been for more I would have for sure looked for another hotel for the 2nd night.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David and Erin W

Reviewed 6 March 2013

3 maybe 4 star , 6/10 (9/10 for value)
Extreemly good value for money. The best we had in 6 weeks and 13 different countries in Europe.
Modern decor and fittings , Wi-Fi , Extractor fan in the large bedroom , Airconditioned rooms.
Good sized comfortable Queen or small king bed , good pillows.
On site parking ($6) and Breakfast for ($10). The Breakfast doesn't start serving till 07:00 but was very good at least 4 star standard possibly even 5 star.
Looked like it was located in a commercial district but we found it convenient.

Room Tip: Don't be put off by the location this really is a top hotel and dirt cheap.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Very good hotel, nice room, nice deco, confy bed, spacious bathroom, good temperature control. The blond lady at front desk was really unpleasant! The night staff was helpful! The hotel is located far from city center, but right next to a subway, and it takes only 15 to 20 minutes to Marienplatz!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I stayed here for two nights with my family. There are few single room hotel options for a family of 4 in Munich, so we decided to get two rooms in a cheaper hotel further from downtown. It turned out to be a good choice for us. The rooms are nice, if a bit small and the linens were a little rough, but the staff was pleasant and helpful, there was free on-street parking and the breakfast buffet was nice. However, beware if you are hungry and arrive late. The restaurant is only open for breakfast and almost everything in the neighborhood closes at 8:00pm and nothing is open Sunday. We were lucky there was a pizza place around the corner from the hotel that was primarily open for delivery, but let us use a table to eat a late dinner. Overall, this hotel is clean, quiet, modern and a good value.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ahrnjhn
Reviewed 4 August 2012

The staff was helpfull, the food amazing, the room excellent, the location extremely good -it is located near a metro station-! I propose it to all people who need a very good hotel in an incredible location!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank LukasSalonika
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I'll start with the positive - excellent location, right next to a U-Bahn station only a few minutes from the city centre. Rooms were clean and modern (if a little on the small side, but still comfortable). We paid extra for a room with the "business package" which included wi-fi internet, parking and breakfast, which certainly made things easier. The parking is great - nice and secure underground parking just below the hotel. Breakfast buffet was fantastic (meats, cheeses, cereals, breads, etc.), with the best range I've had in Austria or Germany so far. Another toaster or two wouldn't go astray, though!

Now for the bad:
* Poor layout/access - we have to walk up and back across the hotel and almost around the entire circumference just to access our room. Also, the main lift lobby is right next to the smokers' room. Very nice that it's a non-smoking hotel, but this sort of defeats the purpose if an area that every guest has to walk through constantly smells of stale cigarettes.
* Gym was closed. One of the reasons we chose the hotel was the fact it had a gym, and there were other cheaper hotels we could have tried.
* Internet was pathetic, and for a paid service this is just not good enough. Very slow (sitting in the lobby, it took me over a minute to view the map of my current location via google maps), and I needed to request a separate password for each wifi connected device (2x iPhones, 2x iPads, didn't bother with the kindles, and lucky I didn't have my laptop, wifi camera or other devices), otherwise I could only get online with one device at a time. We were also supposed to have wired Internet in the room, which I thought may have solved our problems (I brought an airport express which I'd used successfully in other hotels), but it wouldn't even detect a network to connect to, and the staff at the front desk were of little assistance.
* Other little things: there appeared to be a conference at the hotel before we arrived, and dirty dishes and cups in the conference rooms (which we had to walk through to get to our room) had still not been cleaned up even the morning after.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard R
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Very pleased with hotel. Actually booked because I had airlines miles that needed to be used up but I was very happy. Off the beaten path (Not at Marienplatz) but a ten minute easy train ride solved that. Train station just a two minute walk and straight back to city center. The room was European sized (small) but modern and clean. Two people fit just fine. The bathroom was large for Germany. Only quirk was the dividing wall was a type of fogged glass. Could not see through but got one heck of a puppet show : )

They hotel provided me a password and user name so that I could access internet free from room - had no problems. A nice little breakfast buffet was included. We ate supper late the night before our departure and the hamburgers were huge. A little pricey (to be expected in hotel dining rooms) but the food was good and the service was great! Phoebe was our waitress and very sweet. Regina at front desk was more than helpful. When I couldn't check in for outgoing flight from my Ipod she did it for me happily and printed my boarding passes (no charge). As well as arranging a taxi (very early flight back to Fra and the Sbahn ran but not the Ubahn). It was a 20 Euro taxi ride back to main train station but driver was there exactly at 3:30 am and was very nice.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family