“Great Modern Architecture”
Review of Museum Brandhorst

Museum Brandhorst
Ranked #65 of 383 things to do in Munich
Reviewed 2 March 2013

The Museum Brandhorst was done by one of my favorite living architect teams - Sauerbruch & Hutton. It's a typical building for them, with color bringing the building to life. It's what Germany needed after the rather unimaginative architecture that was used to rebuild Germany after World War II.
When you approach the building you have to spend a little time taking in the colors and even the movement of colors. It's a great piece of art and as good as what is inside. I was as impressed as I hoped I would be.
The inside lobby is equally as lovely. Being an architect buff I had hoped to take a few lobby shots. However photography is strictly forbidden. I understand the art, but I would have loved just a simple photograph of the lobby to remember this work. It's a shame that they don't at least allow lobby photography.
I found the woman at the front desk really rude. My German is okay, but I am not a native speaker. She said something very fast and I asked her to repeat it. She became overly frustrated and angry that I asked her to repeat what she said.
I also had a small bag with me and I was pounced on that I had to check this very small bag. I just thought the museum had a lot of rules and did not have a very nice way or welcoming way at enforcing these rules. The attitude here really was noticeably hostile towards visitors.
The art is good. The Henkel collection contains some Alex Katz, Warhol and a lot of Cy Twombly. I liked what they had but they did not have a lot of variety. I thought the Cy Twombly pieces really overwhelmed the museum.
They also do a good presentation on New Media. I will admit that I don't really understand New Media like I should, but I am drawn to it and curious about it. I found their New Media room in the basement to be very interesting.
I like the museum and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the architecture. I would really work on getting the staff to be more friendly and welcoming.
The museum does have a cafe and a small museum shop. There are a lot of steps, but they also offer an elevator.

1  Thank James S
in 15 reviews
"moderne"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 31 December 2012

Worth a trip just to look at the architectural gem that is the building - right in the heart of Munich Museum land, right next door to the International Design Museum. This is a smart and impressive venue to visit - enjoy the experience

2  Thank Nick H
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Visiting the collection during the Open Arts Weekend in Munich was a great experience.
The architecture of the Museum is amazing and the way all artworks are displayed is perfect.
The amount of artwork devoted to each space is just right, making the visit to the collection memorable.
I was impressed by Cy Twombly's "Lepanto" series and the Warhols.
The shop at the museum was very accomodating offering to ship their catalog abroad.
This art collection is a gem.

1  Thank Jimena F
Reviewed 20 August 2012

If you like Cy Twombly this is definitely a cool place to visit. The paintings are perfectly hung... very beautiful. We went on a very hot August day and had the museum basically to ourselves, which was a pleasant surprise. The architecture is airy and calm, just perfect for a an hour or two of looking at art. Go on a Sunday as admittance fee is just 1.- Euro and spend the rest on ice cream just opposite the museum.

1  Thank SapiensRwe