“Review of La Brasserie”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We decided to go to this restaurant based on trip advisor reviews and it was also very close to our hotel. We decided on steak and the waiter recommended a very nice wine with it. Upon arrival of the meal one steak was over cooked, the other undercooked. I mentioned to the waiter who immediately took both away along with the side orders. We were then served a cup of fish soup free of charge, which was delicious, as both main meals were being completely redone. Following this our main meals were served again, both steaks were amazing and could not be faulted. For dessert we ordered the lemon tart between us it was a perfect finish to the meal. Although we did have to complain the manner in which the staff dealt with it was first class and I would return tomorrow.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

As the name suggests, French-themed food with local produce. Good selection of wine by the glass, which is useful if you're not planning to drink much. Sociable booths for 4 people. Helpful waiting staff.

Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

We did not make a reservation but were lucky to get a table. Had to try based on TA ratings and comments. Food was great...from the escargot to the lamb to the fish special. But I must say, the lamb portion was small :-( The chocolate souffle was divine...must try.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

My stepdaughter and I arrived at a youth hostel in the Nymphenburg area and asked for a recommendation for dinner.

The friendly people at the desk started to name a few restaurants. The first one they named was La Brasserie.

I immediately told them to stop. No need to name any more. The idea of dining at a French restaurant was too good to pass up.

We took a cab to La Brasserie and were immediately delighted with the stately but not stuffy setting. Intimate lighting, nicely spaced tables, flickering candlelight on the tables, and the promise of French delights.

To celebrate our arrival, I went with a glass of bubbly, my typical choice as a starter to a fine meal.

And fine it was. So fine that we went back a second time during our stay in Munich.

The first night, I opted for their fish soup and a decadent dessert.

The fish soup, provoncialische fischsuppe mit sauce rouille und kase, teased my taste buds in a most pleasant way.

Then a chocolate mouse, mousse au chocolat auf kandierten rumpflaumen.

I dipped my dessert fork into the light crust and a heavenly chocolate filling oozed out. I got carried away, and I'm not even a chocoholic.

We made so much noise oohing an aahhing that proprietor Stefan presented us with a finishing cognac. The fumes were so strong, I could easily have gotten high from them.

During a second visit, I had to have the fish soup and chocolate mousse again. But this time I added a filet of fish, filet vom loup de mer auf gegratenen zucchini mit couscous.

A flaky, melt in your mouth filet arrived on a pillow of couscous. I leaned in and inhaled the fragrant aromas.

The meal confirmed my contention that there is French food, then the rest of the world, with the possible addition of Italian.

Anyway, if you are in the Nymphenburg area, make it a point to dine there.

No...I take that back.

Even if you are NOT in the Nymphenburg area, make it a point to get there any way you can.

You won't regret it.

1  Thank billyp
Reviewed 24 October 2013

A fantastic French bistro outside of France? Sacré Bleu! But it is true. Munich's Nymphenburg neighborhood, home of Trip Advisor favorite Hotel Laimer Hof, and only minutes outside downtown by Tram (Romanplatz Station), is also home to La Brasserie. This authentic bistro with a delicious offering of food and wines is noteworthy and worth the trip.

We were lucky to get a patio table at the neighborhood gem, and the owners were very apologetic they had to squeeze 3 of us at a table for two. Lesson Learned: make reservations. But, cramming together was worth the sacrifice to enjoy the great weather and the vibe of tables packed with happy people enjoying a perfect meal. The inside of the restaurant is beautiful and the ambiance cozy and warm if you are visiting outside of patio season.

There is no English menu, but the owners and staff are very happy to help translate and are thorough in their translation to make sure you make the right choice. We started with a French Onion soup; digging my spoon into the warm, melted cheese over toasted baguette revealed the most perfectly seasoned broth. The Carpaccio with Rocket (Arugula) is made with the freshest ingredients and the generous portion is good for sharing. The creamy risotto with mushrooms rivaled any served in Italy. But the star of our meal was the Lamb dish because of the side of ratatouille accompanying it; children would all eat their vegetables if they all tasted this good.

The wine menu contains a wide variety of price points to serve different budgets. There are several beers of note on the menu as well. Although one of the more expensive meals we had in Germany, La Brasserie is reasonably priced for a fine French dinner. But, unless you are carrying a German Bank Card, bring cash; the restaurant, unfortunately, doesn't take credit cards.

Like most French/European restaurants, you set the pace for the meal. We were in no rush and enjoyed a long, 3 hour evening of great food, fine wine, and good company. Bon Appétit!