“Enjoyable but don't go out of your way”

Glockenspiel im Rathausturm
US$124.64*
Private Tour: Munich and Oktoberfest Grounds Tour from Salzburg
Ranked #30 of 336 things to do in Munich
More attraction details
Owner description: The sound emanating from this collection of 43 bells can be heard throughout downtown Munich.
Reviewed 2 November 2013

In October, the music was only at 11, 12 and 5. People start congregating about 10 minutes before. The tower is high so you don't need to be close to see. We had a beer and 5 minutes before got out to see it. The music plays about 15-20 minutes and the clockwork figures move for about half the time. The music has sort of a tinny xylophone sound reminiscent of a music box. Like a music box it has large moveable figures on two levels. The upper one has musicians and a brief joust and then the lower one has dancers. It is cute and we enjoyed it but it really isn't worth going out of your way. If you happen to be there its worth waiting to see it. The building and square are beautiful and worth seeing even if you miss the glockenspiel.

2  Thank Kimberton
There are newer reviews for Glockenspiel im Rathausturm

Reviewed 18 October 2013

This is such a beautiful building, it is a definitive must see when in Munich. The detail is stunning and the vibe in the Marienplatz just makes the whole experience even better. Make time to also watch the Glockenspiel, very very nice.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

My friends and I were so excited that we had arrived in Munich just in time to view the clock show. We raced over to Marienplatz and waited for the show to begin. As other reviewers mentioned, it was very underwhelming and it fizzled in our eyes. As one of my friends said when it was over, "Well, I bet it was good in its day."

Reviewed 14 October 2013

A nice little mechanical show that occurs on the hour at the front of the town hall. It lasts about five minutes and is rather like an oversized Swiss clock. Go and see if you're in the area. Don't walk more than ten minutes or so out of your way to view. I gave the attraction a rating of four, because you don't often see such things. Quaint.

1  Thank Hert3284
Reviewed 14 October 2013

While the building and clock tower are impressive, the Clock show was very underwhelming.

We just happened to be in the area at the time and got to witness the clock go off. I was standing there with thousands of other tourists and we all had our cameras locked in. When the figures finally start moving there is excitement in the air.

For me that excitement ended quickly. It's really just a giant cheap oversized toy that isn't all that impressive. Especially considering that it was built in 1908. The show seems to drag on forever (well over 10 minutes). I would rank it towards the bottom of the things that I saw in Munich but at least I can check it off as something I got to see. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again.