“My Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Augustinerkeller

Augustinerkeller
Ranked #2 of 206 Nightlife in Munich
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1824, this popular beer garden is considered by many to be the best in town, both for its Augustiner beer and its beautiful grounds.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My Experience”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Couldn't disagree more with the good reviews of this place... Our experience of this beer hall was rude unhelpful staff making us feel unwelcome on walking through the door, over priced and very average food which was mis sold to us and having items added to our bull we didn't order and then being told we were lying... There are much better beer halls in Munich so be warned.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jamie T

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Solo or in a group of people, this is a great restaurant/beer hall”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

As one of the oldest beer gardens in Munich, this place knows what it's doing. My trip was on a colder night in Spring, so I did not sit in the garden, but downstairs in the beer hall. I felt awkward walking in at first (this was my first time in Germany, so I wasn't sure how the whole thing worked), but the staff were super friendly and helped me figure it out.

For those of you who are travelling solo and may not be familiar with how these kinds of places work, I'll explain so you do not have to go through the awkward walking around, "Where do I sit?" experience. I had been told that you never sit at another person's table... which is strange because I found out that is what you have to do! When I noticed that all the tables were completely full, I asked one of the waitstaff, "Uhh, how does this work?" and he took me downstairs into the hall and sat me at an empty spot at a table that already had two different couples at it. I felt weird at first, but the couple next to me introduced themselves and we talked the rest of the time.

Overall, great food, of course great beer, and a fun environment. I definitely recommend going.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Natalie W
Los Angeles
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great atmosphere!”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Just visited yesterday (03Jan2014). Had a great time. The atmosphere was lively. The suckling pig was phenomenal. he beer was great. The service was also really good. I did go earlier, about 6pm-ish, and by 7-ish is was getting pretty busy. A one can imagine, the more busy they get the more tables your waiter might have to wait. Be patient. Drink a beer. Why are you in a hurry! :) I highly recommend this place. I stayed at a hotel on the opposite side of the Hauptbahnhoff so it was easily less than a 10 minute walk.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank niehaoma
Setubal
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Great food and beer in the cellar”
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

During my 4rd stay in München, I finally had to visit this venue. It had been my plan for years, but it never came to it. We went early (about 6pm) to avoid rush hour. Allthough it was a busy pre-christmas weekend, the staff arranged a nice seat for us in the famous cellar. We had a wonderful classic bavarian meal with some great beer. The staff was very friendly, the beer was tasty and cold, the food was excellent and the atmosphere was great. We cannot wait to visit in the summer when the biergarten is open.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank SarenaSetubal
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great Bavarian Experience”
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Went on the recommendation of a local, what a great find! The beer was outstanding, service was prompt and friendly, and food reasonably priced and delicious! We walked in without a reservation on a Friday night and shared a table with a young couple from China. We enjoyed the company and the food. What a great experience, well worth the walk from the central train station!

Visited December 2013