“Location, location, location”

Novum Hotel Munchen Am Hauptbahnhof
Ranked #242 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Right opposite the Munich train station. Standard room and standard breakfast, nothing special or surprise of. Room is quite small which me and wife had a some hard time to pack our luggage as this is the last day of our trip. The location provides convenience to our transfer to airport and return of rental car the next day; while it is also due to the location that we had the noise and sound the whole night. Both the staffs at the reception counter during our check in were very fluent in English and efficient. All in all, the hotel is best in its location!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 August 2014

The hotel is very central to the Main Train Station in Munich and is very nicely located to the City Centre as well as to the S-Bahn and U-Bahn to take you to any of the other tourist attractions. The staff were very friendly at the hotel and were able to help me with any questions that I had. There is also a left luggage facility that you are able to leave your bag in, if your checking out later in the day, which was a really good service.

The room as I expected from other reviews was very small indeed, though I was expecting it, the room did remind me a little of being back in Student accommodation, but I knew what to expect so I would not complain. At the end of the day I was only there to sleep and not stay in the room all day. There is a very small bathroom but the water pressure of the shower was good and both the room and the bathroom were clean and tidy.

The room was quite warm when I was there so I had the window open at night and at times it was quiet noisy but I am generally able to sleep through most things so it was not too much of a problem. If you are a light sleeper and you want the window open then bring some ear plugs.

I did not sample the breakfast or try the TV so I can't comment on the rest. The hotel did have free Wifi and once the problem with re-setting the router was sorted out it worked fairly well. The signal did drop out now and again but it was OK most of the time. It was a very nice stay and just what I needed for a weekend away in one of my favourite European Cities. I would certainly stay here again and recommend it to others if you can just get over how small the room is. Thanks to the staff for a friendly / welcome stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Upon reading other reviews i was a bit concerned when coming here. Although contrary to the other reviews, i found the hotel quiet with no noise and a very comfortable room to stay in. The staff were friendly, room was clean and had everything we needed, although the tv didnt pick up any channels. The breakfast was ok, but nothing flash.
Only a 2 minute train ride into marienplatz also which was great.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel was very nice to stay in. The rooms were lovely, as were the bathroom and beds were comfortable. The room included a flat screen tv.
However, there was no air conditioning and wifi kept shutting off every 10/15 minutes in the room and could only fully be accessed at reception.
The hotel is 2 minute walk from the central train station

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The location can't be beat! It's right across from the main train station, and not that far from a shopping square. The breakfast was really good, they had what we consider breakfast in Canada with cereal and toast plus they also had breads, meats, cheeses, and salads. The rooms were pretty small, and it was hard to keep the window open because of the noise. I would stay here again though because it was pretty convenient.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ctthe
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed for 5 nights between 7th - 12th August and have no real complaints. We got a good price on a double room with breakfast. We arrived 2 hours earlier than stated check-in time and thought we'd just see if the room was ready. It wasn't, but they made sure it got cleaned asap and we were in our room after 45 minutes. The room was opposite the Haubtbahnhof which for us was great. We knew before arrival that there was no air-con but as we have no problem sleeping with road noise we were happy to keep the windows open which cooled the room well.

The room itself was pretty basic but comfortable, well lit and clean and gave us all we needed. We were there to see the city not stay in our room! The only thing I will say (which has already been said by a previous reviewer) is that the pillows were awful - I ended up putting towels under mine or folding it in half because they are so flat. I'm sure they would have given me another if I had have asked but I kept forgetting every day until bedtime!

WiFi is slightly dodgy and although I connected well most days, I had one night where I couldn't connect at all. But it is free so could hardly complain.

We thought that the breakfast was really good. Very good choice of hot and cold food especially if you get there during the first hour of service. Cereal, yoghurt, fruit, cheese, bread, various bread rolls, cold meats, cake, sausages, egg, choice of teas, fruit juice, coffee at the table. Don't understand those that complain about it.

Resident's bar is a little hit and miss late on (we like a last beer before bed when on holiday). It depended who was on night duty. Most were happy for you to sit all you liked and order as much as you liked with the main door shut yet we found one girl who told us that we would have to take our beer outside or go to our room! That's when we ventured back out to the main area again at nearly midnight. Like I said, we didn't go to Munich to sit in our room.

The staff overall were very friendly and would help wherever they could.

Augustiner Keller beer garden is just down the road from the hotel and well worth a visit. Turn right out of the hotel and walk about 3 or 4 blocks.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for a city stop. If you want bells and whistles, air-con, a gym or a bit of luxury then pay more. Otherwise you will have a fine stay in a fantastic city.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The Winters Hotel was directly across from the main train station. It is a very easy walk. Upon check in at 10 am, the clerk at the hotel found us a room that was available immediately. There is no air conditioning, but we found that the room was cool without. The wifi worked ok. The room was clean and they insisted on cleaning daily. We had a room that faced away from the main street and was very quiet at night. All of the staff were extremely friendly. The breakfast was part of our package and had a good assortment of hot and cold foods.

There are some local beer gardens and restaurants in a close 10-15 minute walking distance. The other main tourist parts of Munich were only about 15-20 minutes by foot. This is a perfect location if you are interested in public transportation with the station being so close.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple