“Handy for centre and transport web.”
Review of Hilton Munich City

Ranked #83 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Greenock, Scotland
“Handy for centre and transport web.”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I have jst returned from a three day stay with my sister. It could have not been easier to get there from the airport: the regular S-bahn (high speed train) delivers you to the hotel basement in just over half an hour! Check in was efficient; rooms clean; breakast was ample - but the staff had a (bad) habit of trying to clear the table, while you were still eating! Rooms were fine: double bed...but two single duvets!; bathrooms could do with a freshen up - my sink was a bit cracked; hotel seemed near full, but staff were efficient and friendly. Bottom line - I would happily return any time!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I stayed with two adult children for five nights. We upgraded to the Executive rooms as I figured out this would be good value if we were charged the full price for breakfast otherwise. The room was spacious but a bit dingy. There was the high standard of furnishing, bathroom and cleanliness that you would expect at a Hilton hotel. No noise.

The breakfast buffet downstairs had a good variety, an omlette station and should satisfy everyone.

The executive lounge is very pleasant with a sunny and a shady balcony.

The location was great. 5 minutes walk from the Deutches Museum, 15 minutes from the Marienplatz, Hofbrauhaus, and Food Market. There is a subway right outside the hotel.

The hop on hop off buses can be picked up at the Marienplatz. I liked the Nymphenburg Palace and its Garden tearoom the best. The pick up point for a lot of bus tours is a 10 minute taxi drive away across from the Hauptbahnhof. I did enjoy King Ludwig's Castle's tour very much.

The weather was 5 days of sun and no rain which is great when you are from Scotland.

The restaurant we enjoyed the most was the Wok and Roll which about half way to the town via the usual walk. We had the all you can eat from the revolving carousel option and we certainly did. This only cost 50 euros including all our drinks. I am amazed they don't charge extra for teenage boys.

I would say that I don't recommend that vegetarians or vegans visit Munich because the food choices are extremely limited for them outside of the hotel.

The pavements are shared by bicycles and this is tricky and probably dangerous for both. I saw 3 stationary ambulances 4 days dealing with casualties in Munich town centre and I was away seeing Castles one of these.

The roads are often cobbled and I ended up wearing a dress, for the heat, and my ankle boots, because it was treacherous walking in sandals. I looked like Florence from the Magic Roundabout. Although I would have normally got a few stares in dear old blighty this was Munich and I wasn't alone.

The entire German experience can be had in Munich or its environs. Beer, sausages, accordion players, Lederhosen, traditionally dressed waitresses, chalets with window boxes full of flowers, cows with bells round their necks and Mad Ludwig's castles. What else could you want?

2 Thank kaitiScotland
Nina_Fiebig, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Dear kaitiScotland,

First of all I want to thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback on experience with us.
I am really happy to read that you were completely satisfied with your stay in our hotel and had a great time in the beautiful city Munich.
Thank you also for mentioning the ideal location of our hotel as this most definitely contributes a great deal towards convenient travelling as well as a comfortable stay.

We would find great pleasure in welcoming you back to the Hilton Munich City very soon.

Until then, we thank you once again for your valuable feedback and remain,

With best regards from Munich

Nina Fiebig

Executive Office
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2012

A great place to stay if you land at the airport and travel by train into the town. The hotel can be accessed via the tube station. Not that much of a walk into town or can always jump on the tube again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jon P
Bergen
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We spent a weekend here, nice rooms. Was met by hand written welcome letter. Very good executive lounge, even sparkling wine for breakfast. Very conv. With s-bahn in basement. For good beergarden, try muffathalle down the street. Would come again anytime!!

• Stayed August 2012
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Munich City and would recommend it again. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The staff was accommodating and, with breakfast included, it was a great value for our money (exec room at 125euro/night)

We had two young children with two strollers and we found the convenient location right above the S-Bahn to be the best part of the hotel.

Downers Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Location is great. As mentioned before, it is right on top of a main transportation station. It has seen better days, but they are working very hard to improve it and are doing it in the correct order. The public areas (restaurants, bars, coffee bar) are totally up to date, clean and current. The rooms as well. The hallways have yet to be done and this shows. Carpet is fading and paper is peeling off the walls. They WILL get to it, I'm sure. Try to ignore it and you will have a great time. Like others, we didn't have the breakfast buffet because we were not on an expense account. Even in Munich, 29 euros is a lot for breakfast. The coffee stand had great pastries and sandwiches for a fair price. There were also two cafe's within a five minutes walk. A very pleasant walk in the evening is to the Weinerplasse. Takes about 15 minutes and goes through a cosmopolitan residential section. Anyone can give you directions. The location is great and the public transportation system in Munich is superb. The concierge will sell you whatever ticket you need to get to where you want to go, and will help you get there. Everyone was very helpful. We had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 18 August 2012

We have stayed at the Hilton in Munich before but had a poor experience staying at this hotel. This time should be much better. We booked a two-night stay back at the Hilton. We would arrive by train and as the Hilton has direct S-Bahn access we thought the Hilton would be the best address. We also received a voucher for the seafood buffet in the restaurant on Fridays. Unfortunately our stay did not include a Friday so they converted it to a 3-course diner in the restaurant.

We arrived around 20:00 in the hotel by metro from the Central station. We took the elevator directly to the hotels lobby but still had to do some stairs, which is not very easy if you have some heavy luggage. We went to the check in desk and checked in with Ms. Sabine. She was very friendly and helpful and gave us the keys for our room. Unfortunately we did not get much info about the hotel. I had to ask about breakfast hours and if I did not know there was an executive lounge, I did not know it after check in. Also I did not get any info about breakfast hours or executive lounge hours.

As Diamond members we were ‘just’ upgrade to an executive room. It is a normal standard room on the 5th floor. No special room, Gold members get the same room, maybe better to give your highest members a better upgrade … Also Ms. Sabine told us there was already an extra bed in the room, which was unfortunately not the case.

There was no welcome at all in the room. I was quite surprised in the negative way. Even no bottle of water, no welcome note, no fruit, no nothing. There was a little card saying thank you for reporting the problem, it has been fixed now, that from maintenance. A huge disappointment.

The room was somewhat far from the elevators. We received room 5088. The room had on the left side the bathroom with sink, toilet and bath. The bathroom was tired and somewhat worn out and the bath stop was gone so they put a plastic one in the bath. There were also some black hairs in the corner of the bathroom next to the door. The bedroom had off course a bed, desk and an LCD TV. There were not enough couches as they used one from the King bed for the extra bed and unfortunately there were no other in the closet. We also had no view, just the inner court of the hotel.

We went to the reception and told there was no extra bed in the room, Ms. Sabine apologized and told us it would be send immediately. When we came back from diner in the city, the extra bed was in the room and there was one extra towel. Unfortunately no extra toiletries. In all my Hilton stays on executive floors or in suites, the hotel provides normally the bigger Thomas Roth toiletries. Here in Munich they give the smaller ones for everyone. We received one small product of each and that for three persons …

I did put the air conditioning to the lowest temperature of 5 degrees and on full blowing mode but we had such a bad sleep as the air conditioning did not cool properly. We also saw that somebody had opened the window but even though it was closed the air conditioning did not cool properly.

We had breakfast in the main restaurant. Last year we were very disappointed about the breakfast and its service so we hoped that improved somewhat. We were greeted and they noted our room number and we had to pick an empty table our self. It really took a while before somebody even came to order our drinks. It took over the acceptable time for it so on that beginning of our breakfast we could conclude it did no improve. During the summer the hotel has an immense amount of trainees working in the restaurant during breakfast. From server to egg cook, all trainees. No problem for me but then they have to perform their duties correctly.

It was as always very busy at breakfast and we could see that on the buffet. No yoghurts, no muffins, no croissants and empty bottles of water. When I kindly asked the only man dressed in costume – probably the restaurant manager – he simply ignored me and walked further even though I asked him twice. Very arrogant person, that I also remember from last year.

Luckily the quality of food is quite good and when it is less busy around 10:15 we could have the real good buffet. Unfortunately at 10:10 when at least still 20 tables are full a waitress came and took all butter and sugar from the tables.

After breakfast we bought a metro ticket for up to 5 persons for one full day for 10,20 euro only. The Italian concierge was averagely friendly.

In the evening we had our diner in the restaurant. Just before that we wnet to the concierge and posted some post cards. The temporary concierge told us 55 cents for Europe and 75 cents for the USA but we were called back from concierge Mr. Nat that the rate was 75 cents for everywhere in the world so we had to pay extra.

We went to the restaurant and were greeted by an extremely friendly waiter Mr. Nasreddine. He brought us to our table and gave us the menu. We could choose each one appetizer, main course and desert, also a bottle of wine was included. He suggested us a South African wine which we also took. We took as appetizer the red tomato soup with shrimps and one time the white creamy tomato soup. As main course the sirloin steak and one time the Schnitzel. As desert they have a whole ice cream menu from Mövenpick. We took one time the Mango delight and another vanilla ice cream with hot cherries.
I have to say we were quite impressed by both the quality of the food and the excellent service from Ms. Tamara and especially Mr. Nasreddine who both were extremely friendly. Furthermore the last named speaks multiple languages.
Overall excellent diner and great service. Probably the best experience during our entire stay. Thanks again for that Mr. Hartmann and Mr. Felix.

Next day we went around 17:30 to the executive lounge. There was a lady sitting at here desk but she does not say anything nor does she greet people. The lounge has a dated interior but has two tables outside in the sun.

Service was terrible and empty glasses and plates stayed standing on our table. Around 6PM some snacks came but then the fridges became empty. There was no coca cola and cola light anymore, there were no clean glasses anymore, the bottles of wine were empty …. There were some small pizzas, which I did not like, a soup and some other small dishes like Ikea style salmon with sauce ( the sauce had really too much mustard in it ) .

Later we left the hotel and took the S Bahn back to the Hauptbahnhof.

Overall a mixed stay. I really expected much more from this hotel. There was no welcome in the room, the room which was very average and just a standard room. The executive lounge is below the Hilton standard and the Diamond treatment is also on the poor side. Although diner was excellent and service was outstanding.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Nina_Fiebig, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear liveyourlifegood,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your recent stay at the Hilton Munich City and for taking the time to share your valuable feedback on your experience with us.
Unfortunately I had to read that you haven’t been satisfied with your stay for a second time.

I fully understand your disappointment, because usually you should get all the information about the hotel unsolicited from our front office team. Especially as a loyal diamond member the opening times of the Executive Lounge are very important to you and you also deserve one of our best rooms. I really apologize that mistakenly your welcome set up was not prepared. Our goal is to make every guest feel welcome, valued and respected. I am sorry that you have experienced something different.

Thank you also for your comments concerning our breakfast service. I have noticed them and please be assured that I have already spoken with our Restaurant Manager in order to avoid situations like this in the future.

Reading your feedback regarding the Executive Lounge services, I am very concerned that our team members were not able to provide the service one can expect from an Executive Lounge. Of course it is their task to check the drinks and dishes constantly to offer a perfect atmosphere for our guests. Please do accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings in our service delivery.
I am really happy to see that you fully enjoyed your complimentary 3-course dinner. Your comments have been shared with the entire restaurant and kitchen team as this makes us very proud and is a perfect motivation for all staff members.
Dear liveyourlifegood, I would like to apologize for all the inconvenience caused and thank you for taking time to give us your valuable feedback, which helps us to improve our services. Please be assured that this is not the type of service and quality the Hilton Munich City is known for.
In the meantime, if there is anything else I might be able to assist you with, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. We really do hope that you will give us a third chance to prove that we can do a lot better.

With kind regards