“Good business hotel”
Review of Hilton Munich City

Hilton Munich City
Ranked #79 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The hotel is well situated in Munich, close to the Deutsches Museum. Staff is friendly and the hotel is in general OK. However when some anoying things would be better taken care of the experience zould be very good instead of average. Staff in the breakfast area should pay more attention to the guest and their needs.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I would to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete our customer satisfaction questionnaire and providing us with your feedback about your stay.

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and you found our staff to be generally friendly. I have already discussed your feedback regarding our breakfast team with our Restaurant Manager and we are taking steps to improve this. What would interest me to learn is the “annoying things” you experience so that we can learn from your experience and hopefully put them right for a future stay and our other guests. I hope that my private e-mail has already reached you.

I look forward to hearing from soon and learning how we can exceed your expectations and make it right for your next visit to Munich.

Best regards,

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,731)

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The location for this hotel is great, right above the s Bahn stop. We were promptly greeted at the reception desk and checked in quickly with our room being ready on our arrival at noon. Upgraded to the exec floor which includes wifi and breakfast, snacks during the day, and appetizers and drinks in the evening. Well worth it. Our room was very modern, apparently recently updated. Bed was wonderfully comfortable as was the easy chair. My only complaint was that the room was heated to the level of a sauna. We turned down the heat as far as it would go as soon as we arrived. We went out all afternoon and early evening. At 9 pm, the temp was barely tolerable, maybe about 85F. Unable to open the window. By midnight, it had cooled down enough that we could sleep. But I can't understand why the room was so overheated to begin with. A huge waste of energy IMO, though I did note that a lot of other places we went in in munich were overheated by my standards too, which is weird because I am usually freezing.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Feistyrg

Dear Guest,

First of all we like to thank you for your constructive review on Tripadvisor.

From your feedback, I could read that you enjoyed our great location and that you had a pleasant time in our hotel. Thank you for your kind words, especially regarding our Executive Lounge.
I was sorry, though, to learn that the unusually high temperature in your room caused disturbed nights. It is unfortunate we did not know as we would have done our utmost to rectify the uncomfortable situation you experienced.

Thank you once again for sharing your opinion with us. We do hope to welcome you soon back to Hilton Munich City.

Kind regards

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in October 2013 on a long weekend visit to Munich.

Arriving at around midnight on the first day we were dealt with politely and efficiently as we checked in and this set the tone for the generally good level of service we experienced during our stay.

In terms of location we were very pleased. The hotel is right above Rosenheimer Platz S-bahn station with regular trains to all areas of Munich (including direct to the airport). The hotel is also a 15-20 minute walk (with a 10 year old child) to Marienplatz in the city centre with a huge choice of bars & restaurants.

The room itself was fairly typical of a business chain hotel and was comfortable enough but is starting to feel very dated with large rips and scuffs in the wallpaper, cheap feeling furniture and a bathroom which looks like it's come straight out of your Grans house with a silly decorative shower curtain. The bedroom doors are also on a very forceful self closing mechanism which makes them slam shut so you can often here doors banging in the corridor when you're in bed.

Breakfast was excellent with a wide range of hot and cold food, fresh fruit juices and a sensible finish time (10:30) so you didn't feel like you needed to rush through it

The bar area is pleasant enough although hotel lobby bars always feel a bit like you're in an airport waiting lounge and again we found the service here perfectly acceptable. The food menu in the bar is a bit limited though (especially for kids).

The most annoying thing about the hotel is the Wi-Fi. There's free Wi-Fi in the lobby area (which just about reaches the bar) but if you want Wi-Fi in the bedroom you have to shell out an absolutely outrageous 25 Euros per day. How on earth can any hotel justify such an extortionate rate?

Just an additional point on Munich itself, I was very surprised at how suitable it is for children (unlike the hotel which appeared to have nothing in the way of kids facilities). From the huge Science Museum to the Olympic Park and the Allianz Arena where we saw Bayern playing there's plenty to occupy the kids.

Would I stay at the Hilton again? I think there's enough positives about the hotel to say yes to that question but only at a significant discount to the rack rate.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Let me take this opportunity to thank you for your honest review on your last stay at Hilton Munich City and also for sharing it on Tripadvisor.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your long weekend with your family in the Bavarian Capital. Thank you for your kind words regarding our Customer Service and also for your comment about our breakfast buffet, which I will gladly pass on.

However, I regret to see that you were disappointed by our Wi-Fi-Service. I can understand your annoyance due to the weak connection of free internet in the lobby area and the pricing in the room. I do apologise that this did not meet your expectations and will discuss these points with the relevant parties to see what can be done to improve.

Despite your mixed feelings about your experience during your stay at Hilton Munich City, we would be delighted to welcome you back to Munich in the near future and show you that we do care about your feedback.

Kind regards

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Beautiful hotel, international atmosphere. Not far from the center. The staff were very courteous and professional. The room very big and clean! The breakfast amazing and varied ... certainly enough for you all day! Highly recommended

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take the opportunity to thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and sharing your positive feedback online with other travelers.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your time in Munich as well as our room facilities.

Once again we would sincerely like to thank you for your kind words on Tripadvisor.

All the best

Floris Licht
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Hotel has spatious rooms but they are a bit weary. My bathroom tiling had seen the best days in 1990's. Location is great, both to Old city and airport. Breakfast was good and Wifi functioned speedy enough. extra plus for well designed lighting.

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

It was nice to read that you enjoyed your stay and the atmosphere in the Hilton Munich City.

We are looking forward to your next stay with us.

Kindest regards

Floris Licht
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have visited Munich several times on work and had heard the Hilton City is a very good hotel. It was never available at a good rate, so I never got the chance. But while planning my recent trip, I was happy to see that it was available and immediately booked it. On hindsight, I realize the reason – I also wouldn’t want to stay here again on my next trip. While the hotel is a typical large chain hotel in a good location, it doesn’t work so well.
Check-in was smooth but I was horrified to hear they charge €25 per day for internet access in the room. In this day & age, most business hotels give internet access for free (at least in corporate packages like I had) as people need to be connected. Novotel and Holiday Inn in the vicinity charge a nominal fee. There is free wi-fi access in the lobby, but it works only in the lobby, not even in the entire floor or the restaurant where breakfast is served.
I asked for a non-smoking room with city view and I got a room on the first floor overlooking the street, certainly not the view I had in mind. While there was a non-smoking sign on the room, there was a very strong odour of cigarette smoke in the room. It diminished over the 3 days I stayed there but it was still very much there. A couple of tiles in the bathroom were cracked.
The breakfast was good and lavish, service there was good.
Access from the subway station is very convenient – so one doesn’t have to be outdoor if it is raining or snowing. But there is a short flight of steps, which is not convenient if one has heavy luggage coming or going to the airport.
The last surprise was that my credit card was charged for an unexplained reason after I had left the hotel. I had provided my card during check-in as guarantee but had paid cash while checking out. I wrote to the hotel and they replied saying it was a system error and they had reversed the charge.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank for recently staying with us at Hilton Munich City and for informing us about your experience. Only due to guests who share their impressions with us, either positive or negative, we are able to look at our performances objectively and filter out the strengths and weaknesses of our hotel.

Regarding the smoky smell in your room please be assured that I will directly contact our executive housekeeper to prevent this happening in the future and would be very grateful if you contact me via Ramona.reisinger@hilton.com to receive your room number you stayed in. I understand that you expected a fresh, clean non-smoking room and take this opportunity to apologise for the room not meeting your expectations.

I was also able to learn that you thought our internet cost was too expensive. I would like to inform you for a potential future stay that we do also offer the type of rates including internet for a lower price that you mention. Unfortunately we did have a router issue in the restaurant during the time you visited which was been rectified to offer free internet in the restaurant as well.

Although you left with a negative impression, I still hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to Munich.

If I can be of any further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at any time

With kind regards from the beautiful city of Munich

Ramona Reisinger
Executive Office

Reviewed 9 November 2013

This is a good hotel in a location that allows you an easy walk into the city centre or you can go through the hotel and get to a train station (without being run over by cyclists). There are shops across the road (Aldi). Only complaint was the amount of children doing all sorts of things in the lobby!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and taking the time to share your experiences online with other travelers.

It was pleasing to read your positive feedback regarding the hotel's unique location which is indeed a great benefit for us.

We do look forward to welcome you back as our guest in Munich.