“Deserves to be excellent but watch Breakfast/Internet costs”
Review of Hilton Munich City

Hilton Munich City
Ranked #79 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Let me begin with the qualification that I've been Hilton Gold/Silver for some years [ and am just about to be elevated to Gold again ]. So I do rather like Hilton's in general ,and if I lapsed back to Silver it was only because my Business travel made that not possible.

Munich as well ,is a favourite of mine [ as is Germany overall ] and always look forward to a trip here.

I've stayed in a few Munich Hotels including one in particular that's close to the Hauptbanhof [ for convenience to train travel ]

So I was looking forward a trip here to the Hilton City for the first time.

On the positive

* check-in and out was well done. They are often busy with large groups/air-crew but seem to cope very well. I found them very pleasant as well

* location is a short walk to the Old town and also some decent local Restaurants. The Underground is very close and there are nearly always waiting taxi's outside.

* Its a pleasant bar to have a nightcap in , with excellent staff too.

On the negative

* 25 Euro for daily wifi is in-excusable. If you're "gold" you don't pay but everyone else does. I don't care if there is free internet access in the lobby but to charge so much to use in your room per day is a disgrace in this era of cheap bandwidth

* If you don't have a breakfast rate - its an eye-watering 29euro for breakfast. I went for breakfast on Saturday [ the only day I had time ] and was meet with hordes of people for Saturday brunch all milling round. We had to struggle to even get a table. The staff were run off their feet even just trying to keep up with replenishing food and clearing tables. This was just a standard buffet remember with one person cooking eggs. If it was free or 10 Euro's lets say I'd have put up with it but at 29 Euro its the worst standard of breakfast I have ever seen relative to such a high cost . I'm told it is quieter weekdays but did not see that - just Saturday.

So - in summary fellow travellers - this is the occasion when we should give thanks to Trip Advisor for the ability to share such information. Forewarned is forearmed and it exposes such high prices to us all

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank trwilbury
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to use the opportunity to thank you for your recent stay at Hilton Munich City and for sharing your constructive feedback on Tripadvisor.

It was pleasing to read you were well looked after by our front desk and bar team, I look forward to passing on your comments.

I do appreciate your comments regarding the internet and breakfast and will certainly discuss this with my team to see how we can improve on your experience in the future. My sincerest apologies if you felt they were not up to your expectations of our hotel.

We would be pleased to have you again as a guest at Hilton Munich City.

With nice regards

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,761)

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We normally stay at small non chain hotels on vacation but had some points to use. The staff was very nice and let us check in super early. The room was large by US standards and very nice. The breakfast buffet was huge and delicious. The workout room was on the small side but not overly crowded. As with all Hiltons unless you have a certain level of points you have to pay for wifi, this kills me. We did have access to the executive lounge and took full advantage of the free wifi in that room and the free booze (beer/wine), soda and food! The location is a little out of center, but an easy 3 train stops to the heart of the city.

Room Tip: get the breakfast buffet and executive lounge
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and taking the time to share your experiences online with other travelers.

I was delighted to read your kind words regarding the hotel as well as the great service of our team members and we are always happy to pass it on them.

I would like to share with you for a potential stay in the future that we also do offer special rates including Wi-Fi for a cheaper price.

We do look forward to welcome you back us our guest in the near future.

Best regards from Munich

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here for five nights. Conveniently situated on the S Bahn (S8) route from the airport - 35 minutes or so travel time, but be careful as there are no elevators from the station platform.
Pleasant and helpful reception staff in contrast to the not so pleasant concierge staff (if you can find them).
Room was ok. Wallpaper showing signs of wear and tear. Bathroom grouting flaky and in need of repair. Air conditioning lacked control and was always too hot - even when off.
Why two single duvets for a double bed? Pillows were more the size of cushions.
Biggest let down was the charge of €25 per day for WiFi. If it had been fast and reliable then that would be some compensation, but it was neither.
Only had breakfast. Standard food you find in any hotel. Would not inspire me to have dinner in the hotel.
Metropolis bar was ok. Staff friendly but they shouldn't let the customers hear or see their arguments.
I would consider returning.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Teepagorn
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to use this opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and also for sharing your constructive review on Tripadvisor.

I was very sorry to read that you could not fully enjoy your stay with us and we would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused. I would be grateful if you could contact me via Ramona.Reisinger@Hilton.com with your room number to ensure these issues are swiftly repaired.

I would also like to apologise for the inconvenience regarding your unstable internet connection. Please be assured that this does not comply with our usual hotel standard and we are currently investigating as to why you experienced this.

We still hope to have the chance to welcome you back to Hilton Munich City and show you that we do care about your feedback.

Kind regards from Munich

Ramona Reisinger
Executive Office

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Stayed here while on business, couldn't have been more pleased. I had an issue with the coffee maker two of them and finally after the third one I had one working from the maintenance staff, they even had hot water and coffe brought to me until they had a unit that would work. Great customer service.

Breakfast has a very good selection and very good meals are prepared as well. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and sharing your positive experiences on Tripadvisor.

We were delighted to read your comments regarding the great service you received and we are very pleased to pass on your warm words to our staff. Words like yours are always a huge motivation for every team member.

Once again we would sincerely like to thank you for your detailed feedback and do look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.

With nice regards from Munich

Reviewed 19 November 2013

The hotel is well situated in Munich, close to the Deutsches Museum. Staff is friendly and the hotel is in general OK. However when some anoying things would be better taken care of the experience zould be very good instead of average. Staff in the breakfast area should pay more attention to the guest and their needs.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I would to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to complete our customer satisfaction questionnaire and providing us with your feedback about your stay.

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and you found our staff to be generally friendly. I have already discussed your feedback regarding our breakfast team with our Restaurant Manager and we are taking steps to improve this. What would interest me to learn is the “annoying things” you experience so that we can learn from your experience and hopefully put them right for a future stay and our other guests. I hope that my private e-mail has already reached you.

I look forward to hearing from soon and learning how we can exceed your expectations and make it right for your next visit to Munich.

Best regards,

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The location for this hotel is great, right above the s Bahn stop. We were promptly greeted at the reception desk and checked in quickly with our room being ready on our arrival at noon. Upgraded to the exec floor which includes wifi and breakfast, snacks during the day, and appetizers and drinks in the evening. Well worth it. Our room was very modern, apparently recently updated. Bed was wonderfully comfortable as was the easy chair. My only complaint was that the room was heated to the level of a sauna. We turned down the heat as far as it would go as soon as we arrived. We went out all afternoon and early evening. At 9 pm, the temp was barely tolerable, maybe about 85F. Unable to open the window. By midnight, it had cooled down enough that we could sleep. But I can't understand why the room was so overheated to begin with. A huge waste of energy IMO, though I did note that a lot of other places we went in in munich were overheated by my standards too, which is weird because I am usually freezing.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Feistyrg

Dear Guest,

First of all we like to thank you for your constructive review on Tripadvisor.

From your feedback, I could read that you enjoyed our great location and that you had a pleasant time in our hotel. Thank you for your kind words, especially regarding our Executive Lounge.
I was sorry, though, to learn that the unusually high temperature in your room caused disturbed nights. It is unfortunate we did not know as we would have done our utmost to rectify the uncomfortable situation you experienced.

Thank you once again for sharing your opinion with us. We do hope to welcome you soon back to Hilton Munich City.

Kind regards

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in October 2013 on a long weekend visit to Munich.

Arriving at around midnight on the first day we were dealt with politely and efficiently as we checked in and this set the tone for the generally good level of service we experienced during our stay.

In terms of location we were very pleased. The hotel is right above Rosenheimer Platz S-bahn station with regular trains to all areas of Munich (including direct to the airport). The hotel is also a 15-20 minute walk (with a 10 year old child) to Marienplatz in the city centre with a huge choice of bars & restaurants.

The room itself was fairly typical of a business chain hotel and was comfortable enough but is starting to feel very dated with large rips and scuffs in the wallpaper, cheap feeling furniture and a bathroom which looks like it's come straight out of your Grans house with a silly decorative shower curtain. The bedroom doors are also on a very forceful self closing mechanism which makes them slam shut so you can often here doors banging in the corridor when you're in bed.

Breakfast was excellent with a wide range of hot and cold food, fresh fruit juices and a sensible finish time (10:30) so you didn't feel like you needed to rush through it

The bar area is pleasant enough although hotel lobby bars always feel a bit like you're in an airport waiting lounge and again we found the service here perfectly acceptable. The food menu in the bar is a bit limited though (especially for kids).

The most annoying thing about the hotel is the Wi-Fi. There's free Wi-Fi in the lobby area (which just about reaches the bar) but if you want Wi-Fi in the bedroom you have to shell out an absolutely outrageous 25 Euros per day. How on earth can any hotel justify such an extortionate rate?

Just an additional point on Munich itself, I was very surprised at how suitable it is for children (unlike the hotel which appeared to have nothing in the way of kids facilities). From the huge Science Museum to the Olympic Park and the Allianz Arena where we saw Bayern playing there's plenty to occupy the kids.

Would I stay at the Hilton again? I think there's enough positives about the hotel to say yes to that question but only at a significant discount to the rack rate.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Let me take this opportunity to thank you for your honest review on your last stay at Hilton Munich City and also for sharing it on Tripadvisor.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your long weekend with your family in the Bavarian Capital. Thank you for your kind words regarding our Customer Service and also for your comment about our breakfast buffet, which I will gladly pass on.

However, I regret to see that you were disappointed by our Wi-Fi-Service. I can understand your annoyance due to the weak connection of free internet in the lobby area and the pricing in the room. I do apologise that this did not meet your expectations and will discuss these points with the relevant parties to see what can be done to improve.

Despite your mixed feelings about your experience during your stay at Hilton Munich City, we would be delighted to welcome you back to Munich in the near future and show you that we do care about your feedback.

Kind regards