“too short a stay”
Review of Hilton Munich City

Hilton Munich City
Ranked #78 of 387 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed here only one night and wish it would have been more. This was a stopover on my way to Salzburg. The staff was the nicest I met in Germany. The room was outstanding. Very nice, very clean, comfortable bed. The breakfast buffet had a lot of choices and all of them good. It was pretty crowded but the staff did well keeping the buffet stocked. I hope I get back through Munich so I can stay here longer.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Guest,

We are very delighted to read your positive feedback on Tripadvisor and would like to thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City.

It was pleasing to read that we fulfilled our aim to ensure that every guest feels cared for, valued and respected.

Once again we would sincerely like to thank you for your kind words and do look forward to
welcome you back as our guest in the near future.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We are on a family holiday touring through France and Germany. We spent three nights in Paris at the Golden Tulip, two nights in Rudesheim on the Rhein (rustic but very friendly) and the last two nights in Munich. We are now on our way to Berlin by train for three nights and hopefully we will get some down time. It has been hectic.

Our last stay was at the Hilton Munich City Hotel. We spent two nights in the lovely city of Munich and managed to tour the science museum (one of the oldest in the world apparently) and we experienced the Christmas markets which are a sight to behold.

On arrival at the hotel on the 15 December, we were greeted by Isabelle (a trainee) on reception who proved to be very polite and proficient. In fact all of the staff were very efficient and courteous. Unfortunately there were, however, a number of events and observations which detracted from the overall family holiday experience.

Our room was on the second floor and proved to be clean and generally well presented. Unfortunately the same could not be said for the second floor corridors which were scuffed and scratched and in need of a new coat of paint. Regarding our room, the shower head over the bath leaked and, while it was replaced as soon as I reported it, the issue should have been identified by any reasonably thorough quality check of the room. Further, the tiles over the bath were in a state of degradation and required replacement.

Also on two instances during our stay the elevators to the second floor failed and required that we use the stairs to exit the floor.

Probably the most disconcerting event occurred on the morning of the 16 December. At about 7.30 am we were woken by the very loud ranting and raving of a guest on the same floor as ourselves. The individual was shouting in German, banging on the wall and sounded to be having some type of psychotic event. I called reception and reported the disruption and was informed that another guest had done the same. Later in the morning I contacted reception and was informed very politely by the young lady on the desk that she had no record of the event but would get back to me. Needless to say I heard nothing further.

I would have accepted this as a one-off event but unfortunately at 6.30 am on the 17 December, the same individual proceeded to shout and bang the walls of his room. He was obviously in some form of distress. I located the room from which the noise was coming, noting that a 'Do Not Disturb' sign had been placed on the door and I am pretty sure had been there the day before, and called reception to report the disturbance. I was informed that the matter would be investigated. A number of other guests had opened their doors to find out what the noise was about. On leaving our room to go to breakfast, a young man from the concierge desk was standing at the door listening to the noise and obviously feeling very uncomfortable. On checking out of the hotel an hour later I observed a number of police men and women attending the scene. I hope the man in question has received the appropriate care as it was pretty clear from his outbursts that he was very distressed.

I accept that the hotel can not be held accountable for the behaviour of its clientele but I am concerned that after reporting the event on the 16th that it should reoccur.

On a final note, all staff were helpful and accomodating. The service in the restaurant was friendly and pleasant. It was unfortunate that the this experience was diluted.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

As mentioned in our email correspondence following your email to us with a copy of this review, I was very pleased to hear you were impressed by the friendliness of our staff and the cleanliness of the room and have already shared this feedback with my team. I am less pleased with some of the other issues you have experienced during your stay and want to take this opportunity to apologize for what happened.

Based on your comments I have asked our Chief Engineer to personally check your room and address any deficiencies that might still exist. I have also already shared your feedback with our Executive Housekeeper and have asked her to ensure our colleagues cleaning the rooms report the type of deficiencies you are describing straight away, so they are not left for you to discover and report to us. In the meantime, I have learned we had some minor issues with our elevators during your stay which have since been addressed.

To be quite honest I have spent a large part of 18/12 talking to guests that stayed near room #2051 on 16th & 17th December in order to explain what happened with the distressed gentlemen and how we resolved this issue. Unfortunately I could not contact you to do the same, since we did not find a valid email address or phone number on the registration card you filled out upon check-in. As such, I was unable to give you our side of the story before you posted the above review on Tripadvisor.

The first time the disturbance from this room was reported the guest was spoken to by my colleagues and since this guest appeared to be doing well and the noise stopped we did not pursue this matter further. The second time (early morning on 17th December) this issue was reported, we initially tried to contact the guest by phone, but since he didn't pick up we went to see him and knocked on the door despite his DND sign. The gentleman that opened was clearly in such an unstable mental state that we immediately informed the police who came within minutes, took this guest and his belongings to the station and kept him there for an unknown period. Following this incident we verbally confirmed to the guest he is no longer welcome at our hotel and we are currently exploring further legal steps, which is proving difficult since he is no longer registered at the address he gave us.

Being a father myself I totally understand the issue with the disturbed gentlemen affected your stay but I also hope you agree we as a hotel cannot really be held accountable for the behaviour of each of our guests. Next to this I am personally of the opinion we handled this the best way we could. Not only during this situation but also on the next day, when we reached out to all guests affected by this incident to explain what happened and make sure they were doing alright.

As discussed in our email correspondence I have contact the Hilton hotel in London where you will be staying tomorrow to arrange for a nice upgrade in order to somewhat apologize for the inconvenience caused. Next time your travel takes you to Munich, please do contact me directly so we can make sure we take extra special care of you and your family.

For now I wish you safe travels and happy holidays!

Best regards,

Hilton Munich City

Reviewed 17 December 2013

The train from the airport stops under the hotel. Great lobby/piano bar. Very good breakfast bar. Go across the street for a light meal, good wine and quiet atmosphere. Take a 5 minute train ride to Marienplatz were you can find some good shops and places to eat. I needed the shops since my luggage was sent to Switzerland. I then needed a beer and just a 2 block walk to the Hofbräuhaus were you meet some friendly folks, enjoy the music and have some great beer with some very good schnitzel. Walk another 2 blocks during the day and shop the street vendors for some good bread and cheese. See the old city, walk the streets and visit the numerous shops and eventually, find another small pub for a snack. I then took the train to Passau for a 2 day business meeting. Enjoy the rides and country view.

Room Tip: Not much of a view from my room, but I spent all my time outside.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Guest,

We are grateful for you positive review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay at Hilton Munich City.
Thank you for your warm words about our hotel and it was also pleasing to read that you could make use of our central location.

We are looking forward to your next stay at Hilton Munich City and should you have any questions in the meantime, please contact me directly.

Regards from Munich

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights business in December 2013. Arrival was easy from S Bahn via lift from station but confused as to why you have to use some steps before elevator, would be difficult with lots of luggage.
Check in was very smooth and staff very friendly, finding me a great room on the fourth floor. The room was great, roomy and clean with King Size bed, only criticism is that the ethernet cable was missing and i was not going to pay €25/day for in room wifi. Beware that this floor is below the 24 hour gym and the treadmill can be quite disturbing in the early hours.
I only had breakfast on one day because at €29 it is very expensive
Overall was very happy with hotel which is let down by wifi and breakfast pricing. If your room includes breakfast and you're not a basic hhonors member then it's great

1  Thank Phill25
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback on Tripadvisor and your warm words regarding our staff, it is always a huge commendation for them.

I was delighted to read that our staff looks great care of you and found a room that you liked.
Thank you for your comments about the stairs and internet. We are currently developing a solution to the steps you mentioned to make it easier on people with bags. We changed to 100% Wi-Fi throughout the hotel in January and this does include comp Wi-Fi in our public areas for those who do not wish to pay.

I do look forward to welcoming you back in the beautiful city of Munich in the near future.

With nice regards

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed here for one night on business. Easy walking distance to town, excellent S-Bahn access - it's below the hotel - marvellous! Breakfast was up to expected standard and bar area was comfortable with great service and free wifi. Room was comfortable, clean and quiet. I shall be back!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Ramona R, Executive Lounge at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Guest,

We are very grateful reading your positive review online on Tripadvisor and we would like to thank you for your recommendation.

It was pleasing to read that your stay at Hilton Munich City met your expectations and you were satisfied with all aspects of our hotel.

We do look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed here for six nights during a big exhibition in Munich. This hotel, even more than most Hiltons, made me feel very welcome. They smoothed out the bumps in everyday travel and made the trip as easy as it could be.

As with all Hiltons, check-in was fast and easy. Elevator service is extremely prompt -- the hotel is only six stories tall -- so you never need to wait more than a few seconds for a lift. The rooms are generously proportioned, with handsome furnishings. The desk is large; the electrical access is easy; there was a luggage rack; and the bed gave a comfortable night's sleep. The bathroom was just what you would expect from a modern Hilton -- large, clean and perfect operations.

Back down in the lobby you will notice the large and busy lounge, which was great for impromptu meetings and after-show beverages. The staff was not overly flashy or friendly but proceeded to dispense their drinks professionally and promptly, so that's OK. Prices were a bit steep -- a double of single malt scotch was 40 euros... ouch!

Lastly, walking farther through the lobby, you get to the breakfast restaurant. Fairly large and always busy, it was a bit off-putting at first -- the unforgivingly Germanic "What is your room number, please" at the door -- but after the first day you get the hang of it and it works very well. The staff is very cordial (other than the gorgon at the gate). There's a good arrangement of pastries, cooked items and fruit, and some unpronounceable Scandinavian grainy dishes that would even give pause to a starving pigeon. Oh yes, there's a chef whipping up omelets to order.

The hotel is built right on top of the Rosenheimerplatz ubahn station -- you don't even get your feet wet! Buy tickets (one way, all day and all week) at the concierge desk. By the way, this hotel has a REAL concierge -- an avuncular soul who really knows how to serve guests. He made dinner arrangements, produced maps, and coached us on the u-bahn protocols.

But nothing is perfect. First, the ladies at the check-in and check-out desk seem to be perpetually in training, and had to keep asking each other how to do some simple chores. Secondly, the hotel does not have free WIFI in your room (unless you're a Hilton Honors guy, which I am not)... the rate is 25 EUROS a day! Weirdly, if you go to the lobby, you can get the same WIFI for free. So guess where everybody sits all morning? Thirdly, one of my colleagues was on a floor where a large number of other hotel visitors had rented a group of rooms together, tied their room doors open and were sharing family-style group meals between their rooms. While we always try to be culturally sensitive, the smell of fried fish one night and a heavy curry another really is off-putting. Lastly, the upper floors of this hotel have the most brightly lit hallways I have ever seen, anywhere. It is absolute daylight in these hallways; no axe-murderer is going to sneak up on you, that's for sure. (I hope the lights are on timers or motion detectors, for the sake of the polar bears and such.) But given those four items, the hotel was just about perfect.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back have very little road noise -- i'd ask for one of them.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank PilotMike2009
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your recent stay at Hilton Munich City and sharing your detailed feedback with other travellers.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our facilities and service as well as the great location. It is pleasing to conclude that the lobby and bar area was suited to your needs.

Reading your review I could see that you felt our prices too expensive. I can assure you we have carried out an extensive study to see how we compare to our competitors and that our products and services are competitively priced. I was surprised to read your comment regarding the whisky as we do offer Dalwhinnie 15 yrs, amongst others, for € 10.00 for 4cl. I have though taken your feedback on board and thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Munich in the near future.

With kind regards from Munich

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Hilton has been a wonderful experience..! Close to the centre, with the metro arriving and leaving just under the hotel (reaching by the hotel elevator!), excellent food, clean and comfortable rooms, friendliness of the staff.. in one word...excellent!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest,

We would like to take the opportunity to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hilton Munich City and also for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

It was pleasing to read that your stay has been up to your satisfaction and you enjoyed the excellent service which we are very proud of.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back again as our guest soon.