“Did not meet my expectations, Not bad not great either”
Review of Hilton Munich City

Hilton Munich City
Ranked #77 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 9 June 2014

For consumers expecting USA type size and amenities finding the right hotel in Europe is a crap shoot. So what do you do, you opt for US chains. Well the Hilton Munich City Center is full of contradictions that are hard to comprehend.

The rates are ok and competitive, the lobby is very nice, ample clean and comfortable, the elevators are also nice and big for Europe. The hallways and the rooms is where it gets difficult.

The hallways (2nd floor) has a color pallet of neutral sand like colors. The carpet looks cheap and the lighting is balanced to white blue/cold making the already bland colors seem even more stale. Its not dark by any means, but compared to the lobby is way off.

Our room is ok in size, bed was ok and bathroom was ok in size too for Europe. However, the carpet was stained and dirty. Dirty enough to be noticed and almost giving an eeugh reaction. The tiles in the bathtub needed repair and a good cleaning in the grouts. The toilet paper rolls fell 3 times while I was there since the holders were busted.

Not perfect as it was, I can still live with that. However one of my biggest gripes is with the dichotomy of the message. Take the internet service, it was ridiculously expensive 15 Euro per night and resulted in people having to leave their rooms bunch up in the lobby to catch up on work and take turns at the 2 PC's in the lobby. Why should Hilton still charge so much for web service? Here is a suggestion Hilton, why not free.

The other scary situation, 1 bottle of Water .5l (16oz) costs 4 Euro. What! Yes, the web and the water are at premium prices, however the rooms and the hallway do not reflect that. If you want to charge premium prices you need to provide a premium product / experience.

Finally the concierge. We went to inquiry about Neuschwanstein castle, the concierge told is that there be lines and that there may actually be problems securing tickets for a Tuesday. That he had a tour that assured all for almost 300 Euro. Well we took the train to Fussen and the just to the castle and not only did we do it for much less there was no problem. I understand that he wanted to sell the tour, but his tactics bordered on unethical.

So its a mix bag of wannabe premium and ugly with normal. Not bad but not great.

Room Tip: Try to get close to elevators as the hotel is wider than its tall. So prepare to walk to your room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Bianca S, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your stay at Hilton Munich City and for taking the time to share your feedback.

I was sorry to read that parts of your stay did, and parts of your stay didn’t meet your expectations.

I appreciate your positive remarks about the lobby and would like to inform you we are currently working out the final plans for a refurbishment of the hotel which will sort out the color scheme issue in the corridors and the condition of the carpet in some of our rooms which you are referring to. If you could kindly advise us on your room number then we will check your room in detail and ensure we address the deficiencies you have raised.

I understand your comment about the internet charges which is why we recently reduced our internet price from Euro 25 to Euro 10 per day which makes our internet the most affordable in our direct competitive set. Next to this free internet can be used in the lobby, bar and restaurant at all times.

We will review our prices for our drinks based on your comments to see if there is a need to change them in line with the market. Next to this I spoke to the Concierge who informed me the reason he recommended to pre-book the guided tour is because in the past we have sent our guests there without a reservation who ended up coming back disappointed and upset since they could not get in and wasted half their day for nothing. If you could inform me via floris.licht@hilton.com about what tour you did and what you ended up paying I will however ensure the tours we recommended offer good value for money.

Once again, I thank you for your detailed feedback which helps us in improving our product and service. Next time you come to Munich please send me a short email so I can personally take care of upgrading you to an Executive Room including Executive Lounge access which I am sure you will enjoy.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I am many year Hilton Diamond member. Our room was fine and nice public spaces. Hallways need attention and updating. However I was treated poorly by two employees. The older concierge on the morning shift was very unpleasant and not helpful to me. He would not work for my company. Additionally I received extremely poor service and attitude form a female desk clerk when inquiring about to connect WFi. I have never received received this type of attitude at any of the Hilton's that I have stayed in around the world. For this reason, I would never stay here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen C

Dear Guest,

First of all I want to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and for sharing your experiences with us.

I am extremely sorry to hear you have had unpleasant encounters with two of our team members and have already addressed this with our hotel manager who would like to discuss this matter with you in person over the phone. Could you kindly let him know via floris.licht@hilton.com what would be the best time for him to call you and include your name and telephone number?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

We look forward to speaking to you soon.

Bianca Steppan
Executive Office

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed in Munich for 3 nights in this hotel and it's across from the central station and many other spots. U could do the GOP on and off tours starting near by and walk around the centre. The staff is friendly and the service was great.

• Stayed: April 2014
Bianca S, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all I want to thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and for taking the time to give us some feedback about your stay.

It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and Munich as a city.

I do hope to welcome you back to Hilton Munich City in the near future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I was in Munich to attend a conference which was in a nearby hotel. The Hilton is fairly new, in excellent condition and the room are comfortable. The price was a bit steep by North American standards, but the room was large by European standards. And that's what you get when you book late and need to find a place. That being said there were many things I liked about the hotel and its staff.

Its right on the subway from the airport, so for 11 Euro in each direction you can get from airport to hotel in 40 minutes (and yes its Germany so the trains run on time).

Its walking distance to the city center and a number of museums / tourist attractions. They provide nice easy to follow maps.

I had forgotten a European adapter for my laptop and the desk staff loaned me one (they put 20 Euro on my bill until I returned it, so it did cost me nothing).

The concierge staff was good at suggesting restaurants.

If I was coming as a tourist, I'd plan a bit more to see if I could find something less expensive, but for business travel I wouldn't hesitate.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and for sharing your experiences with us and other travellers on tripadvisor.

I was happy to read your positive feedback. We always want our guests feel cared for, valued and respected and it is great to know that we reached our goal for your stay.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to Hilton Munich City in the near future.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed 4 nights at this Hilton Property. Wifi was the main downside as it was slow and kept dropping the connection. The property has a decent lounge if you are staying on the 5th executive floor. The room was clean/comfortable. Breakfast had a decent enough spread to appeal to all tastes. Every staff member that we encountered were friendly.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Your feedback is very important for us in order to improve our services and product.

I am sorry that you had problems with the internet connection. I already passed this feedback on to our technical team in order to address this as soon as possible.

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay and I do hope to welcome you back to Hilton Munich City in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We started our trip to Bavaria with a two night stay at this hotel. I chose it because it is well located in town and getting there was so simple from the airport. A train/subway runs directed from the airport and there is a stop underneath the hotel. Our room was very comfortable. The breakfast buffet was delicious. Because I am a gold member at Hilton, we were upgraded. The upgrade lounge has unlimited soft drinks, juice, beer and some choice of liquors, along with light snacks in the evening.

The staff speaks excellent English and they were helpful.

We took the subway one or two stops to most locations we wanted to visit. The subway system is easy to use. By the pass that allows multiple people to travel together. You can buy a pass for one or multiple days and it saves you a good amount of money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

First of all I want to thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and for taking the time to give us a feedback about your stay.

I was delighted to read that you were satisfied with your stay and had a great time exploring Munich.

I hope to welcome you back to Hilton Munich City in the near future.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Easy access to Subway and Train Station, nice bar friendly staff large clean rooms. Everything you expect from a Hilton property. The internet in the executive lounge was a little difficult to use for me because the keyboard was set up only for Euro. When we tried to change to english it wouldn't work. We had to go downstairs to the lobby and use the other computers.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest,

I was happy to read that you were satisfied with your stay.

Regarding the internet in the executive lounge I can share with you that I already passed your feedback on to our IT team who currently looking into how we can solve this issue.

We look forward to welcome you back to Hilton Munich City in the near future.

Kind regards,