“Fine for a short stay”
Review of Hilton Munich City

Hilton Munich City
Ranked #81 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Everything you would expect from a hilton…nice people, good English, fine location, fine rooms. Nothing special, but worth the price and services that came with it. The internet was free in the lobby, but not in the rooms. Hotel was near a metro.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Bianca S, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,

It´s very important for us that all guests leave happy and with this in mind it´s great to read that you had a good time at our hotel.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,744)

Reviewed 11 July 2014

A pretty standard Hilton, reasonably sized room and bath. I was on the 4th (of 5 floors) overlooking the covered over pool and courtyard so it was quiet.
As an HH gold I stayed using points and was upgraded to an exec room with lounge access.
Lounge was very good, both at breakfast and through the day.
Internet in my room did cut out occasionally, probably too far fro the router.
Good service from the front desk and lounge staff.
Breakfast in the restaurant is a very nice buffet but I'm not sure what it costs because it was included with my room.
The location is in the center of the city and on the Sbahn (direct entry to the hotel), but not in the tourist center.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

You seem to have really enjoyed your stay with us and we were delighted to read this.

It´s great to know that we reached our goal of making our guests feel cared for, valued and respected.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Avoid this hilton at all costs! The rooms are dated and no one seems to know what they are doing. They have a trainee manning the desk after hours who might be sweet but doesn't understand the concept of sucking up to the customer. I noticed on my check in papers they had stamped VIP. I always note in my profile I need a quiet room on a high floor away from the elevator.. What did we get? Room on the first floor facing a very busy Munich street. The one staff member who was helpful at check in was very kind to park our car ( no valet on site) and helped with changing a dinner reservation thank you Hasjin ( originally from Afghanistan) I know I spelled his name wrong) so the saying is you definitely get what you pay for! We reserved a 4 night stay 6 months ago and got a great rate. Coming off a recent 2 night stay at a relais and chateau this hotel brought me back to reality. Haven't slept in the hard as rocks bed yet as so poignantly voiced by a previous traveler but at this rate I may leave a review every night!

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Julie M
Bianca S, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Julie M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about our hotel on Tripadvisor. Based on your comment about the length of your stay (4 nights), your time of booking (6 months ago) and the name in your profile (Julie M), which are available for all to read on this website, I was able to locate your exact reservation, which allowed me to speak to my team and further investigate the various points of feedback you have raised.

Let me start by saying I am quite disappointed you did not reach out to me personally to address your issues but instead are using Tripadvisor to advise the world to “avoid this Hilton at all cost”. As all guests reading this reply can see we have a rating of close to 80% on Tripadvisor and are ranked amongst the top 25% hotels in Munich with numerous positive reviews about our friendly, welcoming and competent staff. As such, I find it hard to believe all of my staff “do not seem to know what they are doing” but would truly appreciate receiving any specific feedback you might be able to share with me on this topic.

I was able to find out who took care of your check-in and can confirm this lady is known for being extremely friendly and helpful, which was again confirmed this week when she received two handwritten compliment cards about the service she provided. I am not sure what you mean by her not understanding the concept of “sucking up to customers” but if you could let me know what exactly you did not like about the service she provided you then I am happy to personally discuss this with her.

You are completely right in saying your profile holds a request for a quiet room on a high a high floor, away from the elevator and ice machine. According to our records you ended up staying in a room on the 4th floor (we have 5 in total), away from the elevator and ice machine, overlooking the quiet side street towards the Gasteig Cultural centre and not the main street, which unfortunately the best we could do linked to a fully booked situation.

I am very pleased to hear my colleague at the desk found time to park your car for you. Since we are a 4-star hotel we do not operate a 24-hour valet parking service but will always try to accommodate any such request outside of normal “operating hours” as much as we can.

I am not sure if I understand the relationship between one of my employees being from Afghanistan and you “getting what you pay for” at our hotel sincerely hope I am getting this comment completely wrong since English is not my native language.

With regards to the bedding I am happy to inform you that we are always able to add an extra level of cushioning to the bed to make it “softer” if this is what our guests prefer. Different countries have different bedding standards and being Dutch myself I have learned the German standard clearly is firmer than the American, which is also reflected in the other Tripadvisor review on bedding from a guest from Pennsylvania that recently came in, which is actually only the second comment on this topic I have received in the past 1,5 years.

I would like to close off by saying I am sorry you feel your stay with us did not live up to your expectations. From your final invoice I have learned we gave you complimentary parking for all 4 nights and a free dinner in our restaurant as compensation for your problems, which I feel is an appropriate level of compensation for the various topics raised. Please do however let me know next time you come to Munich so that I can personally take care of your booking and everything runs as expected.

Should you have any further questions or comments then please do not hesitate to reach out to me via floris.licht@hilton.com.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I really had hoped for more from the Hilton chain. I am a Hilton Honors member and love their hotels. Our room had dirty carpet that was actually lifting from the middle of the room. We kept tripping on it. I will say that the staff was very nice and accommodating. They had a nice size parking garage also.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Bianca S, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I am really sorry to hear you were not completely satisfied with your stay.

It´s very important to us that all of our guests leave happy. Regarding the carpet I can share with you that we are planning our renovation at the moment and we hope to realize it in the near future.

I was happy to read you enjoyed our service and I do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is an excellent hotel in a great location for Munich and traveling in the Bavarian region of Germany. It is very convenient to the S Bahn, train station and airport. The breakfast buffet is outstanding and complete. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read your positive feedback about your stay.
Especially your feedback about our hotel staff is great because they are our biggest asset in creating an unforgettable experience for our guests.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Hilton a Munich City was okay, but would not be my choice when returning to Munich.

Most importantly, the bed was very uncomfortable- it is extremely hard. I have went camping and slept on softer ground. This is not the serenity-brand bed you've come to expect at Hiltons in North America. The bed at the Hilton Munich City will have a reaching for pain relievers every morning. Even when standing on the bed, the mattress only flexed an inch. The uncompromising firmness of the bed contorts your spine in a painful "u-shape," giving this 20-something the back of an 80-year old.

Room size was good, especially for a city hotel. The location was okay. The hotel is located directly on the S-Bahn line- you do not even need to step foot outdoors to get from the train to your hotel room; however, it was about a 20-minute walk to most tourist attractions. Having a courtyard facing room was very quiet- due to being located on a busy road, getting one of these rooms is an absolute necessity for a good night's sleep (as much as possible with the awful mattress).

The amenities were in line, but overall, I got a feeling the hotel was being a little stingy compared to the Hiltons I have gotten used to. The "stingy" feeling can be summed up with:
-3 pillows on the KING bed
-2 bath towels
-1 bar of soap
-Small executive lounge with a quarter of the selection of comparable hotels with the main dish being runny eggs.

Being a HHonors Diamond member and staying at Hiltons weekly, this hotel room just didn't live up to The Hilton brand standards I've come to expect. I would expect a comfortable bed, enough pillows for two persons to come standard in the room, enough towels to be able to shower + wash my hair and still leave something for the gentleman, and it would be nice to have a separate bar of soap for bathing and washing hands. Sure, the front desk was happy to oblige the request for extras, but it's just not typical to need to ask for these basic, expected amenities at Hilton hotels.

Check in was efficient and friendly. The front desk to offered bilingual service. I don't know how this happened, but the security latch on the door locked itself while we were outside of the room. It was less than five minutes until a large man with larger bolt cutters came to our rescue.

The in-room wifi (free for Diamond members) did not keep up with my need to steam video- even in a centrally located room. The connection was a little spotty, working sometimes, disconnecting often. If I would have had to pay for the service, I would have been upset.

Overall, I can't recommend the hotel. Perhaps it's a cultural thing and Germans really like the sensation of your arm going numb after 90 minutes of consecutive sleep before you need to turn over again, but for my tastes, I enjoy sleeping the entire night without the need to turn over due to discomfort.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Bianca S, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Hello,

I am really sorry to hear you did not completely enjoy your stay.

It´s very important to us that all of our guests leave happy and with this in mind I would be very grateful if you could contact me directly via Bianca.steppan@hilton.com in order to discuss your issues personally and restore your faith in our hotel and brand.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Lots of good things to say. S-bahn below hotel was super convenient and the concierge sells the family tickets. Breakfast selection and quality was excellent. Wifi was strong enough for quality VOIP calls. Very helpful, English-speaking staff. Bathrooms were clean and had 120v outlets. Rooms were very quiet despite hotel being full. Plenty of good restaurants within walking distance.

For Diamond members, they go the extra mile. We had requested adjoining rooms. The hotel was packed and the rooms they had earmarked for us weren't available because the family using them extended their stay. Friederike Kuntz (on-duty manager) went above and beyond to find rooms that met our needs. We did have to wait until 8pm to access the second room but it was well worth it. We really appreciated her efforts. The lounge had a great roof-top balcony. Great to relax with a beverage and watch the sunset over the city.

We will stay here again when we come back.

Room Tip: Room 2020 was exceptionally large and quiet. No good views but great for sleeping after a long day...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we reached our goal of creating an unforgettable stay for our guests.

I will pass your positive feedback on to my colleague Friederike Kuntz.