“Second time as nice as the first.”
Review of Hilton Munich City

Hilton Munich City
Ranked #79 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Ohio
“Second time as nice as the first.”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

On a return trip to Munich my family of five spent two nights at this hotel. We had stayed here a couple of years prior and chose it again due to the location and experience the first time. It is a typical city Hilton hotel so it met all of our expectations. The location is great because there is a metro stop just below it. The rooms were typical Hilton rooms and clean enough. The breakfast buffet had a good variety so that all three children could find something to eat. All the staff members we encountered were pleasant and helpful. We would stay here a third time if given the opportunity.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Katharina S, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a feedback about your stay.

It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we achieved your expectations.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I stayed here in April during the easter long weekend. This was my first time in a Hilton and as I had left it to the last minute to book accomodation, there were limited hotels with availability and the Hilton offered a special rate that actually made it one of the cheaper hotels (above 3 stars)with availability.

First of all, the location is a bit outside of the city center (roughly a 20min walk), but directly underneath the hotel is an S-bahn station that will take you directly to the city center. This was very convenient, especially as it was rainy and cold the entire weekend so it was good to be able to go directly from the S-bahn to the hotel without getting wet. However, I did have the feeling that being outside of the center I was a bit away from the action and so next time I would choose something more central, but this is a personal preference.

The room was relatively large and the bed comfortable. However, the room and also the entire hallway area on that floor looked like it hadn't been refurbished for at least the past 20 years! The decor was drab and outdated (brown and orange), the carpet had several stains (a stained carpet is a dirty carpet. It should have been changed!), the walls need to be repainted, furnishings were scratched or chipped and the bathroom drain occassionally made noises (during the night, this was annoying). It is interesting some recent trip advisor reviews comment on having new or modern rooms. This was certainly not the case for my room, but perhaps the hotel has finally begun the long overdue task of refurbishing.

On a more positive note, service was excellent. All staff, including those at the reception and those in the restaurant and cafe were friendly, helpful and professional

Food served in both the cafe and the restaurant was very good. There are also some restaurants in the vicinity of the hotel.

Wifi in the rooms is expensive but is free in the lobby.

The breakfast buffet is also pricey, as it is in many hotels. The nice thing about this hotel is that there are other options available. There is a cafe where it is possible to get a lighter breakfast and there are also tea and coffee making facilities in the room which I appreciated.

Overall, this was a decent value hotel, which could be nicer with some refurbishment, although the location is not central enough for my liking.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently refurbished room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

I want to take the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and for taking the time to give us a feedback.

I can share with you that we are planning to refurbish some parts of our hotel in the very near future in order to address some of the issues you have raised.

It was great to read your positive feedback about our hotel staff as they are our biggest asset in creating an unforgettable stay for our guests.

I do hope to welcome you back to Hilton Munich City in the near future.

Kind regards,

Dubai
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

This is my second visit to Munich .. And first time in Hilton .. Overall its great .. Beds are comfortable .. But there is no free in the rooms only in the lobby .. If you want a wifi in the room you have to pay .. Another positive thing in the hotel is that the train station is in the hotel ( there is an access behind a red wall "cafe" a small life go to the -1 and then by stairs you reach the train )

Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and for taking the time to give us a feedback.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel , for two nights .The staff was very friendly on arrival and were helpful in showing us the places of interest on the map. The rooms are modern and they have a nice bathroom. The bed itself was fantastic , a great nights sleep leaving us fresh for the day ahead . There is a City beach in the courtyard and we enjoyed a few cocktails. The hotel is perfectly located in the city for all the tourist spots and just next to the Gasteig concert hall.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Bianca S, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always want our guests feel cared for, valued and respected and it is great to know that you experienced this.

Liberty, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2014

After reading the recent reviews just prior to our family of seven's trip in July 2014, I was concerned that perhaps we had chosen the wrong hotel. But, we were all very pleased with our stay at this Hilton. We found our 3 rooms to be fairly large by European standards with clean, recently updated bathrooms and room amenities. We had a couple of requests of the staff - first, an extra set of towels, and then a box of croissants for breakfast early on the day of our departure. They were exceptionally accomodating and prompt on both occasions. We found the breakfast excellent as well.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a feedback about your stay at Hilton Munich City.

I was delighted to read that you had a great time at our hotel and that you enjoyed our service.

Nimes, France
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stay at many Hiltons mainly because of the 24 hour gyms and the Munich City hotel was advertised to have such a gym. However when I got there at 5.30am I found a large notice on the wall saying don't use the treadmills between 11pm and 7am to ensure the peace and comfort of other guests!

The hotel has a number of options if there is a noise problem from the gym
- additional sound insulation
- relocate the gym away from guest rooms
- don't let the rooms that are badly affected

but a notice on the wall is a stupid and lazy way of ducking the issue.

The restaurant was very poor - lousy choice, bad food and smarmy service. It only adds insult to injury to ask repeatedly if the food is good when what is in front of me is at best mediocre.

The room was badly maintained with a missing door safety chain and a safe that broke with my passport in it - making me late for a meeting while the staff extracted it.

The other Munich Hilton has always been very good so stay there instead.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Katharina S, Executvie Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear guest,

We thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback.

I completely agree the situation we face with the treadmills in our fitness is not ideal.

We have tried putting additional insulation into the fitness area which did not help and since we are running at very high occupancies throughout the year not renting out the rooms underneath the fitness is not a viable option either. As such, we are currently reviewing if we can permanently move the entire fitness to another area of the hotel in order to eliminate this problem altogether.

The sign you are referring to is an interim solution and has only been in place a couple of weeks now. As such, I do not feel your comment about us being lazy and “ducking the issue” is appropriate. Fact is we can simply not resolve this issue overnight and until we do, we kindly ask our guests to use one of the many other pieces of equipment in the early morning hours in order to keep the noise levels down.

I would appreciate if you could send me an email on floris.licht@hilton.com to inform me what exactly you did not appreciate about the service and food during breakfast in the restaurant, since this is an element of our hotel which is often remarked upon very positively in other Tripadvisor reviews and I would love to be able to address whatever detailed feedback you might have. Next to this I kindly encourage you to share your feedback about the quality of the food with my colleagues when they repeatedly ask you if the food is good in order to allow them to resolve whatever complaint you might have instantly.

If you could also let me know your room number then I will make sure our engineering department fixing the door chain in the room you stayed in asap. Unfortunately these chains break regularly because doors are slammed shut with the hatch still out causing the entire piece to break out of the wall.

I would like to close off by thanking you again for your feedback. Next time your travel takes you to Munich please do reach out to me directly so I can personally upgrade your reservation and make sure you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Salisbury, UK
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I don't enjoy staying here when in Munich. The concierge are unhelpful and bad tempered. The exec club staff are tired and not very happy. You cant use the treadmills in the gym early due to the proximity of the bedroom (5th floor) and the whole hotel is quite worn out. Wifi is hit and miss too. So all in all I prefer the Munich Park Hotel where things seem much happier.

Stayed August 2014
Bianca S, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City.

Please do allow me to apologize for not being completely satisfied with your stay.

I was disappointed to read your negative feedback about our concierge and executive lounge staff as they are regularly praised by our guests. I will however pass this feedback on to our Front Desk Manager in order to look into this and ensure this was an exception.

Despite these issues I do hope to welcome you back to Hilton Munich City in the near future.