“Nice room, average location, poor wi-fi”

Maritim Hotel Munchen
Ranked #113 of 389 Hotels in Munich
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Pros:
Stayed in one of the renovated rooms on the 3rd floor and was very satisfied with it. Room was spacious and I liked the modern interior design. Shower was great too. No noise at night. Very close to main train station.

Cons:
Located in a shabby part of town. Wi-fi not free and was sooo slow I gave up using it as it was basically equivalent to no internet at all. Even the crappy gprs connection over my phone was faster.

I'd recommend this hotel for a business trip or if you want to be close to the train station.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
MaritimHotelMunich, Manager at Maritim Hotel Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear "Googelybear1",

Thank you for your stay in our Maritim Hotel Munich. We were very pleased to read you positiv comment about our new rooms and would like to apologize for the inconvenience that we have caused with the wifi.

We have taken note the bad internet connection and will consider this urgently and discuss it with the corresponding departments.
Unfortunately we can not undo your experience but we would like to apologize again.

We are looking forward to welcome you again in our Maritim Hotel in Munich and hope you give us a second chance.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Really a very average hotel. Rooms are shabby. Location is awful - in the worst possible district - Red Light!! Dirty streets. No free wifi.
Breakfast was amazing though - one of the best hotel breakfast choices ever!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mandy B

Dear Mrs. "Mandy B",

Thank you for your stay in our Maritim Hotel Munich. We were very pleased to welcome you as our guest and would like to apologize for the inconvenience that we have caused.

Your comment on some hotel conditions we have taken note with regret and will consider these urgently and discuss them with the corresponding departments.
We are renovating the guest rooms as well as the public areas, step by step.
We started the renovations in August 2011 by renewing our main restaurant „Rôtisserie“ and our PianoBar. Since April 2012 we have implemented the new concept of living in our rooms on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floor.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We stayed here for two nights (one as part of a tour group and one the night before we joined the tour group). We arrived in Munich at 5 a.m. and were at the hotel by about 7 a.m. and surprised to find our room was ready whereas another 2 couples had to wait some hours. Anyway, we found the room to be very clean and comfortable (just been reading some of the reviews and was surprised by some of the comments.) Bathroom was very clean - the shower head was in an awkward position but we got around it. Hotel was in a good location being near the Central Railway Station, about a 15-20 mins walk from the Old Town and Christmas markets but that wasn't a problem as you seen more of Munich on the way there. We were charged 5 Euro for 24 hrs of wi-fi so I spread that out to cover 2 nights!!!
I did become lost on the 2nd night and wandered around for 30 mins trying to find the hotel - no-one seemed to know where it was or how to get there - anyhow I didn't feel threatened or in fear. Hotel staff very helpful - one young man in particular (being 6'7' I think he said) who helped me connect to the wi-fi as I had problems and he did it all for me. Great.
Our first morning we had breakfast at another hotel which was recommended on Trip Advisor but the next one was part of the tour and we found the food fine and plenty of it.
Hard to put Value in the rating as it was part of a tour.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
MaritimHotelMunich, Manager at Maritim Hotel Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear "Zahle",

Thank you for your stay at Maritim Hotel Munich and for the time you have taken for the evaluation of our house. Especially remarks from our guests may help us to improve our services.

We were very pleased to read your comments about our hotel. Certainly we have passed this on to our employees. But again thank you very much!

We are looking forward to welcome you again in our Maritim Hotel in Munich.

Kind regards from Munich
Maritim Hotel München

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Got it as a mystery hotel on one oft he websites. Took the gamble as it said it was 4 stars and we have had some amazing places on the mystery deals in the 4 star category. This is not a 4 or even 3 star hotel. Location in terms of getting in and out of munich is great 200m from the main train station.

The area is dodgy as, surround surrounded by slot machines a strip clubs, not an area to be wandering after dark.

Rooms were extremely outdated with wallpaper from the 70s. Needs a major face lift. It's rating could be improved with simple changes- Internet was 6 euros for hr! First place we stayed that charged for Internet and was expensive! Breakfast was 23 euros per person! Which is extremely expensive for a hotel breakfast buffet!

The tvs were old school and to watch a movie was 10 euro!

The shower head as mentioned by someone else is in a weird position it is nearly inevitable that you will drown the bathroom with the slightest wrong move.

All in all this hotel is not of the star standard it has. I would not recommend it.
Positive were staff were loverly

1  Thank Tracey M

Dear Mrs. "Tracey M",

We are renovating the guest rooms as well as the public areas, step by step.
We started the renovations in August 2011 year by renewing our main restaurant „Rôtisserie“ and our PianoBar. Since April 2012 we have implemented the new concept of living in our rooms on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floor.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Maritim Hotel in Munich for 3 nights in December while traveling on a Christmas holiday throughout Europe. I booked the hotel through Hotwire and was not very pleased when I found out I had been booked at the Maritim Hotel - Hotwire had claimed that the hotel we were booking had a review of 75%, whereas the actual review is only 61%. I can't even begin to understand how this hotel is rated as having 4 stars - it is the equivalent to a 2 star hotel back in the USA/Canada at best.

A good and bad thing about the hotel is the location. It is very close to the train station so is very easy to access. However, it is not the best area to wander around in after dark, and is extremely noisy due to the neighbouring hostels. It's within walking distance to all of the main sights in Munich, but I would have preferred to stay somewhere closer to the Marienplatz.

The front desk staff were friendly, but that is one of the only positives I can say about this hotel. Our room was horrible - we were on the second floor, and could hear people from the hostel next door talking and partying until very late at night. The room appeared clean on the surface, but I still didn't want to let anything touch the floor. The duvet on the bed is just covered with a few flat sheets, which grossed me out because the sheets would come off as you were sleeping and I highly doubt that the duvet is washed often. There was no counter space in the bathroom, the toilet would run, and the shower head in the bath tub at the weirdest set up I've ever seen - the shower head was connected to the wall that was parallel to the shower curtain (rather than being attached to the wall on the left hand side of the bathtub). This made it so you had very little space to stand, and were practically brushing right up against the shower curtain (ew!).

One of my biggest complains about our hotel room is that there was no safe in the room. We have stayed at several different hotels across Europe and this was the first that we have encountered without a safe. We like to lock up our passports, wallets, and computers when going out each day and I felt very uncomfortable that we weren't able to do this at the Maritim. There is a secure area where you can leave your valuables at the front desk - but it was really annoying to have to drop off and pick up our computer each day. We have a small computer (Macbook Pro) and I doubt that computers that are any bigger would fit in the safes they have there.

Another downside to our stay is that the hotel did not have free internet. They provide 30 minutes of complimentary internet per 24 hours, but I'm always annoyed when hotels charge for something like internet that should be free and unlimited. Out of 6 hotels we stayed in throughout our vacation in Europe, this was the only one that did not have free internet.

I will definitely not be returning to the Maritim Hotel in Munich, and will likely be avoiding other Maritim hotels as well.

Room Tip: I would recommend avoiding this hotel in general, but if you MUST stay here then request a room on a...
1  Thank CarolynCyr
MaritimHotelMunich, Manager at Maritim Hotel Munchen, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear "CarolynCyr",

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I was quite nervous about booking a room here based on the hit or miss reviews on TripAdvisor, but I ended up absolutely loving this hotel. I think what it comes down to is that you have to get a room in the recently remodeled section in order to have a nice stay. It sounds like the old rooms are terrible, but the room my husband and I got was definitely worthy of a 4 star hotel, maybe even more. It was spotlessly clean, with a beautiful modern bathroom, new wardrobes, comfortable beds, and even chocolates on the pillows. I don't have a single complaint and would book again here in a heartbeat.

The staff were friendly, the pool & sauna were clean, and the location was a hop, skip, and jump from the train station. It comes across as maybe a little bit of a rough neighborhood, but we never once felt like we were in danger, even walking back late at night.

Dear "Lov_2_travel_10",

We are looking forward to welcome you again in our Maritim Hotel in Munich.

Kind regards from Munich
Maritim Hotel München

Reviewed 24 December 2013

This hotel is located near Munich station but in a shabby street (lap dance anyone?). Moreover, the rooms seem to have been decorated in the 60s-70s and never ever been upgraded since. I tried dinner, but wasn't too excited either. To sum up, I asked our travel department to stick with the more traditional choices (hotel chains) when travelling for business in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank beograd72

Dear "beograd72",

Your comment on the condition of the room we have taken note with regret. We are renovating the guest rooms as well as the public areas, step by step.
We started the renovations in August last year by renewing our main restaurant „Rôtisserie“ and our PianoBar. Since April 2013 we have implemented the new concept of living in our Comfort and Superior rooms on the 3rd, 4th and 5th floor.

In conclusion, we want to thank you for the interest shown towards our Maritim Hotel Munich and would be delighted if you would give us a second chance.