“One of the better Holiday Inns..”

Holiday Inn Munich-South
Ranked #191 of 387 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 5 May 2008

While my company allowed me to stay in the Hiltons and any other hotel I wanted I grew to actually like this little Holiday Inn.

I first used it because my offices were literally around the corner, then, if I was traveling alone, I stayed for the sheer friendless of the management and bar staff. After a few visits I would begin to check in and the young barman would see me, pour out my first dunklesweiss and call the restaurant to bring along a real pretzel- mit sal! That is a welcome indeed!

I found – through my Intercontinental membership website – that there were 4 or 5 ‘executive’ rooms at the hotel. For a nominal amount members were allowed to upgrade to one of these rooms with a corner garden view, glass and steel furniture and a true office desk with PC hookup. The beds were great with fluffy duvets and the garden courtyard quiet and full of bird song in the mornings. In summer the bar open the outside deck and it is very pleasant to sit in the garden with a cool drink. The Bierstube downstairs is always lively and the food in this hotel is of very good (Bavarian) quality. I had no problems at all over a dozen visits over several years.

I would certainly stay there again with my wife when next in Munich - but then I guess our many friends there would not let us!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank JohnandJudyFlorida

Reviewed 10 March 2008

stayed at this hotel for two nights while on work in germany. the staff were very friendly and helpful. breakfast was very good and both the food in the restaurant and the bar were excellent. probably because of its location it was a bit un-lively and quiet at night in the bar. the room was smallish and the noise from the neighbouring rooms flushing their toilets could be heard easily. It is a bit of a distance out from the city centre but it is a very short walk to the underground which has you there within 15-20mins. if i was in munich again i would probably stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 October 2007

I stayed here 2 nights and it was a good room for European standards. It is a short walk to the subway but then you are in the middle of Munich in a short time. I did not eat t the hotel but a great Greek restaurant just down the street. Rooms were comfortable enough and staff was nice.

• Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed 3 October 2007

I cannot complain about this hotel as I got such a good deal for Oktoberfest time.

Location is about 15 minutes on U-Bahn plus 5 minutes walk from centre of Munich.

Hotel fine, staff friendly, brekfast good, forgot trunks so pool missed.

Does what most chain hotels do best.

• Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed 23 January 2007

Stayed at this hotel as part of a tour group. The travel agent stated that we would stay in 4 star hotels so this hotel was a dissappointment. The hotel was located in a what appeared to be a lower class residential neighborhood. It was well out of town. The lobby was small and cramped and not suitable for the large groups trooping in and out. When we arrived admittedly very tired after more than 15 hours of travel there was no one to take the luggage to the room. The rooms were small and somewhat run down and lacking in ammenities, there was no soap in the soap dispenser, the tub drained sluggishly, we had a hard time finding the heat, which didn't work well. The worst part of this place was the restaurant. The staff obviously, dislikes Americans. We had to eat there, my spouse is a diabetic and needed food. It was lunch and we ordered an antipasto and carpaaccio. It took close to 45 minutes to produce the food. The antipasto had a little lettuce, about 20 olive from a jar, a few nice roasted vegtables. The carppacio was a piece of hammered raw beef. I warned my spouse not to eat it but he did and had lower tack distress for the next three days. The staff at the front desk was nicer but not very forthcoming with information about how to get into Munich. We ate there for two other meal, which were included on the trip. The dinner consisted of overcooked meat and frozen vegtables. The desert was out of a box mousse. Breakfast was not a lot better, they ran out of eggs and orange juice. If this hotel is on a tour iterary pick another tour provider.

Stayed: January 2007
6  Thank sageann
Reviewed 20 December 2006

The Holiday Inn Sud is certainly not in the center of Munich but it is about a 25 minute ride on the U-Bahn from the Marienplatz on the U-3 line from Machtfinglestrasse. This is a decent hotel. The rooms were very clean, small balcony (watch in winter as the balcony freezes) and has an ICE machine! The Bierstube was great-good food as well as the breakfast buffets. Alot of tours stay here with easy access to the highways for the buses but I was pleased with the hotel. About a 5-7 minute walk to the U-Bahn from the hotel with Wal-Mart and McDonalds close by??!!

• Stayed: December 2006
2  Thank Wanderkid
Reviewed 8 December 2006

We (2 adults, 1 teenager) stayed for five nights at the end of November and were absolutely pleased with this hotel. I looked at quite a few places and not too many in town offered family rooms, so we ended up a bit on the edge of town. We paid a reasonable rate (97 euros, including breakfast) for a large, clean room. The included breakfast buffet was excellent (lots of hot and cold entrees well prepared) and staff generally helpful. Note the bus tours received a lesser breakfast, so a review from someone on a tour would probably be different. While nothing touristy was close, the nearest U-Bahn station was 5 minutes walk and a partner card would get your whole family anywhere in inner Munich all day for 8.50 euros. The U-Bahn ran frequently and I didn't mind a 15 minute train ride in return for a lower cost yet very clean hotel in a quiet neighborhood. We found the Wal Mart (which was directly across the street from the U-Bahn station) with its associated bakery, food court and drug store quite convenient to get snacks and supplies. We found the staff helpful, but did not try the internet access or restaurant for dinner. I suspect they were pricey. We would definately stay here again.

The only downside of the hotel (other than it was outside the tourist areas) is it was just like staying in an American hotel (except you had pretzels available for breakfast). So, if you are looking for a really German experience, you probably should stay somewhere else. Otherwise, highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family