“Nice hotel convenient location rude staff”

Holiday Inn Munich - City Centre
Ranked #77 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Westport, Ireland
“Nice hotel convenient location rude staff”
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Holiday Inn Munich City

I booked 2 double rooms with breakfast for 3 nights from Friday 10th to Monday 13th December 2010, for myself and my wife and also for my wife’s parents. As I had booked via an agent I telephoned the hotel direct and confirmed the reservations and I also requested non-smoking rooms.
On arrival at the hotel I handed a copy of the reservations to the checkin person. However, there was some confusion in relation to whether the rooms were double or twin rooms and I was informed that only twin rooms were available, as the hotel was fully booked. I was very unhappy with this because my reservation was clear that the booking was for 2x double rooms with breakfast and I had phoned ahead to request non smoking rooms. I therefore asked to speak with the manager and the very unhelpful and rude manager, Bianca spoke to me. She informed me that no non-smoking double rooms were available and she was very good at saying “no” and “nein”. Eventually, I agreed to take a smoking room with a double bed and I would come back to her if it was very smoky. The whole situation was very embarrassing as my wife’s parents were with me and they had to take a twin room which is not satisfactory because they have been married for 42 years.
I must say that Bianca was unhelpful and rude and at one stage told me that I had booked smoking rooms when it is clear that I had not and I had also phoned in advance to ensure that non-smoking rooms were reserved as the reservation did not specify smoking or non-smoking.
Bianca did not follow up by phoning me to see if my room was satisfactory and indeed on thenext day when I requested an additional room key she never said anything to me.
I must say that reception in the hotel could do with a bit more organisation also. We also had difficulty in checking out at 8.00 as we had to get a train to the airport and a large amount of people were checking in and staff were unhelpful. I think people checking out should get priority.
On the positive side, I must say that the hotel is very well located in relation to Marienplatz and it is very convenient to the Sbahn S8 from the airport, it being the case that one doesn’t have to leave the underground area in order to access the hotel. The rooms are very clean although a little on the small side and the only thing that might be added is a safe in the room.
There were six of us in all staying at the hotel while celebrating my brotherinlaw’s 40th birthday and the restaurant and bar staff were in the main quite pleasant and helpful and the food was nice if a bit basic and lacking in choice. The buffet breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangalore
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Good location, not exactly in the center of the downtown area but close enough and well connected to the S-Bahn network. You would appreciate it more on the cold and snowing days that you don't have to go out on the street to reach the S-Bahn station from where you are well connected to the airport and the main train stations.
There are a few good restaurants in the vicinity including a decent Italian restaurant which is a big plus.
Hotel rooms and service were pretty much standard, nothing outstanding but nothing major missing either.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 5 January 2011

We stayed in this hotel from 12/28/10 - 12/30/10 with our 3 teenagers. The hotel is very easy to get to from the airport. Take the S8 train out of the Munich Airport to Rosenheimer Platz(11 stops away=30 minutes) follow the signs through the station and simply go up into the lobby of the hotel. You'll save a ton of money instead of taking a taxi to and fro. The staff at this hotel bent over backwards to please and make our stay enjoyable. The rooms were modern, well appointed, elegant and the most comfortable beds you can imagine with an extensive pillow menu. The breakfast was the best of all of the others we experienced on our trip. A fresh egg station to prepare your favorites on the spot, a bountiful, elegant selection of hot and cold foods from sausages, cold cuts,cheeses, fish, roasted tomatoes, grilled mushrooms, pastries and breads galore as well as all types of cereals,yogurts, juices, many coffee varieties, teas, and hot chocolate, all served in an elegant, inviting setting...SUPERB!! We will definitely return!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2011

Have been to a few Holiday Inn's and this is by far the best i have been to, i would say its almost to the standard of a Crowne Plaza i stayed in in Venice.

The reception staff are a bit abrupt but get their job done efficiently. We had a few problems with the type of rooms that we wanted and got given a twin rather than a double but as it was New Years eve they were fully booked so could not rectify it that night. My friends werent too impressed with the front of staff but the bar staff were amazing, a bit slow getting drinks but they were reasonable and very well made. The bar was definitely one of the places that we most enjoyed sitting and socailising surprisingly as there was a nice relaxed buzz.

The rooms are a good size and very well maintained. The only downside to the whole experience would have been that the tv does not have any english channels other than BBC and CNN - so we left very well informed.

The location of the hotel is great as well and is a 10 -15 minute walk to Marienplatz and has a station entrance in the same building.

Also, very useful was that there are two grocerie shops in the shopping centre in the same building so all amenities plus a variety of restaruants are avaialble.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
New York
Reviewed 3 January 2011

This is a GREAT HOTEL! I traveled with a large group to Austria and Munich over Christmas and stayed here for the last 2 nights. I could not ask for a better hotel. Quick Check in, clean rooms, and what has to be the best location of any hotel I have ever been. We were stumbling distance to the center of town and a quick and easy subway ride to anywhere else we wanted to go. We didn't even need to go outside to get the subway! I would recommend this hotel for pretty much anyone coming to Munich!

• Stayed December 2010
Reviewed 21 December 2010

Rooms were small but clean.
Check in went super fast.
Most of the hotel staff were very friendly but the bartenders were rude....

Good (but way too expensive) breakfast.

Great location! Short walk to the city center.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2010

Spent 3 nights here on a short break to see the Christmas markets in Munich.
Easy to get to from the airport on the s-bahn, with a 35 minute journey costing 19 euro or so for the two of us. Trains leave every ten minutes, and the hotel is a five minute walk undercover through a shopping centre. Very useful supermarket and a couple of great bakeries, plus a coffee shop/bar for breakfast or a drink in the evening.
Very friendly reception. Our room was on the 7th floor, a floor reserved for Priority Club members, with a great view over the city. Comfortable room with all the usual features including a safe, minibar and hospitality tray. Spotlessly clean. Bath and a powershower.
Had a couple of drinks in the bar, but did not eat in the hotel. Plenty of eating places & bars within a few minutes walk.
The city centre was a pleasant 15 minute walk, or 2 stops on the s-bahn. The main railway station is 4 stops away, and there are a variety of day tickets you can buy that cover all transport. Very reasonably priced.
The Christmas markets were of couse very special, and the snow cover created a magical atmosphere.
Had an early flight back but getting the s-bahn at six thirty in the morning was no problem, with a regular service despite the severe winter weather.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple