“Great location and good prices”
Review of Hotel Cristal

Hotel Cristal
Ranked #194 of 389 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This hotel is located about a five minute walk or less from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof). I arrived there in mid-morning and a room was not available yet, but they happily let me store my luggage. The woman at the reception also provided me with a map of the city and transportation lines. When I came back later in the day to check in, I was pleasantly surprised by the room. Nice size and included a coffee maker in the room, which doesn't seem like a big deal, but this is not standard in European hotels. Good mattress on the bed and I got a good night's sleep. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank treeface
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear treeface,
thank you very much for your feedback. That sounds like a pleasant stay in our hotel. We hope to welcome you again soon at our hotel.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

Literally a 5 min walk from the main train station and within 10 min from Karlsplatz as a gateway to the old city. The reception was friendly, professional and went out of their way to help us with city sightseeing queries as well. Rooms are really well appointed for the price. (Had booked Hotel Dolomit earlier but was 'transferred' to this for some reason. No complaints!)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kier02
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Kier02,
thank you very much for your review, that sounds like a pleasant stay in our house. We would be delighted to welcome you again in our hotel!

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Wish I had spotted this hotel before.
Very nice welcome and efficiently run hotel.
About 3 minutes walk from the station, although not much of a neighbourhood.However did not encounter any problems whatsoever.
Received a quiet room overlooking the courtyard.
Highly recommend this hotel. Bar area nicely laid out with a brilliant in-house restaurant.

Room Tip: I presume the rooms facing the courtyard would offer peace and quiet
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Norsemanuk,
thank you very much for your feedback, we are very happy to read that you had a good time in our hotel. We hope to welcome you again in our house.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

Average pretty much says it all.

I stayed in a remodeled "comfort" (i.e., more expensive) room which was large, but as it was long and skinny the space was not really very usable. The bed, desk, and TV were all placed at the far end of the room by the window.

The first room I was given had a heating problem; the heat would not turn off. The second room I tried was better, but still too stuffy. I'd have opened the window but it was about 0 degrees C outside.

The bar prices were exorbidant. And don't bother with the overpriced breakfast in any Munich hotel. There's always cheaper food to be found outside. If you're near the Hbf simply pop over there for numerous inexpensive options.

See my other reviews for more preferred Munich hotels.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear fcfrag,
thank you very much for your feedback. In our opinion our prices are ok, because our breakfast is varied and very tasty. Our drinks are also delicious. We also have comfort rooms, especially for longer stays. We hope to welcome you again in our house.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

I left my hearing aid on the nighttable, and went for a short walk. The hotel staff did turn-down service during this time, and when I returned, I noticed the right hearing aid was missing. I alerted the front desk staff immediately, and requested the room be checked carefuly when I checked out in the morning. I have stayed at this hotel at least 6 times since 2003, and management did not even follow-up or give me an "das tut mir leid". I will not return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Janiceboo

Dear Janiceboo,
thank you very much for your comment. As you know, our staff didn’t find your hearing aid in your room and the room maid was asked for the hearing aid as well. Of course, we strive to ensure that our guests will get back their lost property as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, we could not give a positive feedback to you, but we did our best. Our reception staff also informed you about that fact. We only had contacted you if the hearing aid would be found. We do not want to lose a loyal guest and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

A group of 8 just enjoyed a great 3 day city break staying at Hotel Cristal and all agreed that we would not hesitate to stay there again. I have 2 minor complaints, more of which later but on the whole this hotel offered excellent value for money.

Reading previous reviews people complained of a dirty hotel, poor neighbourhood and dodgy people hanging around at night. Nothing of the sort ! The hotel is in a Turkish neighbourhood - why would anyone be surprised to see people of Turkish origin hanging around ? Not once did we feel threatened or oppressed, we were not hassled in anyway and felt completely safe at all times. Five minutes walk and you are at the start of the main entrance into the city with everything that goes with it.

The hotel was very clean, the staff excellent, friendly, welcoming and efficient and for the money we paid it represented excellent value for money. We did not have breakfast there as we felt it sounded quite expensive so I cannot comment on its quality but what I would say is that there is plenty of really good, cheap breakfast options within a minute or two of the hotel which we opted to use during our stay.

Now the two minor gripes we had. Wi-Fi ? Not that good and we were charged €4-90 a day for access, why ? Not just this hotel but quite a few others as well should not be charging for Wi-Fi these days, it is a basic and not difficult or expensive to provide so stop charging and make it available to paying guests. And secondly, every member of staff we encountered was excellent except for the female bar tender who could not have been more unfriendly, surly and unprofessional. We would wait and wait to be served and when we were it wad has if she was doing us a massive favour. Minor gripes and certainly not enough to tar our stay.

Good hotel and great value for money. I suspect those that have criticised it are those travellers that want 5* facilities and treatment but don't want to pay for it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear AlanFS,
thank you very much for your feedback. We are happy to read that you had a pleasant stay in our hotel. We can recommend the breakfast at our hotel, it’s delicious and varied. In our opinion the price for Wifi is ok. We are very sorry for the inconveniences with our female bar tender. But we hope to welcome you again soon in our hotel. Munich is especially for winter time worth a visit.
BEST WESTERN Hotel Cristal

Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel from 7 - 10 August this year. It is quite hard to find a good eating shopping place near this hotel. But...I have pleasant stay in this hotel. It is in easy walking distance to munich main train station that link to major european city. We booked triple room and the room is spacious enough from european standard. The staff are very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ernie T

Dear Erny T,
thank you very much for your review. We also have a very good restaurant (1912 Restaurant & Bar) in our hotel and some eating shopping places around. We are already looking forward to welcoming you again at our hotel.