“Nothing special, good location, staff friendly”

Mercure Hotel Muenchen City Center
Ranked #51 of 390 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Pros:
-Located just by the central train station therefore easy to find, walking distance from Marienplatz and the pedestrian zone
-Friendly staff
-Extensive breakfast buffet including hot and cold options and fresh juices
-Room large and clean, although seemed a bit noisy
-Free wifi, fast enough for checking emails but not for playing videos

Cons:
-Surrounded by youth hostel, road can be noisy
-I don't understand why they provide a giant king size + bed with one single duvet and one pillow. I know I booked a room for one person, but you'd think there would at least be two single duvets and two pillows! I just find it odd.
-Options to have breakfast delivered to room - I did this as I had an early morning schedule and know I would be on a tight schedule. Put the card on the door at about 9pm, it said do before 2am. Breakfast never arrived. I mentioned this to reception on the way out, they didn't seem that interested, no offer to refund the breakfast price, which given I didn't get breakfast that morning would have been an appropriate gesture. Came back to my room about 3pm that day, room hadn't been cleaned yet, cleaner knocked on the door about 3.30pm and asked if she could clean the room and then told me I had put the wrong sign out for "do not disturb". I told her that actually I left the breakfast one there as it had never arrived!
- towels are too small.

Would I stay here again:
Possibly, it would be a safe bet, but wouldn't be against trying elsewhere in Munich either.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
BenediktHeydweiller, Manager at Mercure Hotel Muenchen City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear MoonsterUK,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel München City Center. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback so that we can continue working on our services to provide the best possible experience to you.
We prepare the rooms as they are booked, so a single room is usually prepared with two pillows and one duvet per person. A second duvet and even more pillows are prepared in your room closet to be taken if needed.
You wrote that ther was only one pillow. Please accept my appologies since this does not reflect our quality standards.
All above this, of course, our team is always at our hand to bring you any pillow or duvet if you wish, so please do not hesitate to contact us any time during your next stay.

Benedikt Heydweiller

Write a ReviewReviews (2,124)

Reviewed 13 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 13 March 2014

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 9 March 2014

The hotel is near the station a 20 min walk from the centre. The rooms are very big and comfortable. The bar was full and lively in the evening and had a good atmosphere. The only problem was that my room safe broke and I wasnt convinced it was going to get fixed, some one was always coming later and we had an early depature the following morning and no passport. Luckily after a few tries it worked once which was a great relief. The plan was that I was told to come to the desk at 6.00 am Sunday morning and they would call an engineer. ( it was about 9 Saturday evening) . That was about 2 hours before I was due to catch a train to Zagreb and I suspect I wouldn't have slept well. I will only put cash and valubles that are not essential for travel in any room safe in future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
BenediktHeydweiller, Manager at Mercure Hotel Muenchen City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear GregWestSussex,
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel München City Center. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Thank you for the information concerning your safe. We will take care that this situation will not reproduce itself in the future.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Having stayed here for four nights, I must admit we had a great time in this nice and neat hotel, with absolutely nothing to complain about. Rooms were spacious, functional, well-equipped and clean but it was its staff what made the difference. Kind, professional and highly cooperative from day one, especially Julia Veen and Sebastian Schilling, always there to help! Breakfast was surprisingly very good for its cathegory and the staff there was also very efficient and kind.
Location? Probably not in the vividest, glamorous area of Munich, true, but pretty convenient since it is not far from the ring and Marienplatz (just a few minutes walk) and both metro and train station are just a couple of minutes away. I liked this hotel very much and I would definitely go back if I had the chance to. Recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ccberthoud

Dear ccberthoud,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Hotel München City Center. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback, especially the review concerning the staff. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Mercure one night, attracted by very positive reviews found on the Tripadvisor prior to our trip. We found the Tripadvisor ratings overly favorable, based on our short stay experience. The main issue was that as of 3:35pm, when we arrived, our room was not ready to occupy (check-in time is 3pm!), due to what we were told at the reception, "a busy night before". What's going on? Do they assume not to be busy to function properly?! We were after an exhausting 5 hour, traffic jam marred road trip from the Austrian Alps and even this relatively short extra wait to move into our room was disappointing and frustrating, especially considering our not-so-young age (59 and 65). We were offered a free drink in the bar which was nice but definitely not something that we needed at the time. We respectfully declined. Underground parking facility was very tight to maneuver and the access from the garage to the hotel was very poor; it took us about 1/2 hour to park our minivan and get to the hotel lobby with our luggage. Getting out of the garage the following morning was also a problem. Nobody at the reception explained to us where to pay for the parking to be able to get out. You couldn't pay right at the exit gate as there was a separate place, not clearly indicated, where you ccould pay. As a result we were delayed on our way to the airport the following morning to the point of almost missing our flight. The other issue was presence of a prostitute and her pimps in the bar, in action... On the other hand, the room was comfortable, spacious and clean. And a couple of staff at the reception and in the restaurant were attentive and nice. The restaurant, by the way, serves good food, although at breakfast time in the morning becomes a real zoo, with waiters nowhere to be found.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Andrzej O
BenediktHeydweiller, Manager at Mercure Hotel Muenchen City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear Andrzej O,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Hotel München City Center. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking all apropriate Measures to prevent a long waiting period in the future. On that day we just did not achieved to finish the rooms on time due to a high number of late check outs.

Sincerely

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I really enjoyed my single night at the Mercure. There are a number of backpackers' hostels on Senefelderstrassse which made things a little noisy during the night. Having said that, the location was ideal for me because the hotel was only 5 minutes from the main train station and I wanted to catch an early train. It is also on 10-15 minutes walk from the Marienplatz. The reception staff were very friendly and I really appreciated the complimentary drink which I was offered. My room on the top floor actually had two levels, 'upstairs' for sleeping and 'downstairs' for relaxing. I really liked it. There is beer and soft drinks in the minibar and no charge! Breakfast was OK but perhaps not the strongest part of the offering. There was a juice machine but it wasn't working and the cooked breakfast was barely hot enough. I would say the Mercure would be an excellent base for a visit to Munich.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the top floor