“Admiration for the Admiral”
Review of Hotel Admiral

Hotel Admiral
Ranked #74 of 382 Hotels in Munich
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Admiration for the Admiral”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is apparently a purpose built hotel, so all of the rooms we saw were of similar size and shape. We had a double room on the second floor overlooking the street. It had a sitting area with two chairs and a table, and a double bed. It contained everything we needed for a very comfortable stay, and all was extremely pleasant. When inspecting other unoccupied rooms, I noted with pleasure that the single rooms were quite large, as I'm used to seeing minuscule rooms for singles. Therefore, if you are travelling alone- book here! The room had plenty of storage and places to put things. The bathroom was of a nice size with a shower over the tub. The water pressure in the shower was a dream. The toiletries were also very nice and floral scented. Although I would have been thrilled with a room overlooking the lovely garden, we had a view over the street. Even though we had a street-side room, at night, the room was quiet, and I could open the window for fresh air. At the moment, work is being done on the building next door, and deliveries were made at a ridiculously early time in the morning, which I did not fault the hotel for. When the noise began, I simply closed the window, and all was quiet again.

By far, the absolute best thing about this extremely nice hotel was the breakfast set in a beautiful room adjacent to the garden. Even in early November, when we stayed, the garden was lovely. I started my birthday with my first breakfast at the Admiral. What a way to start! All of the tables are laid with pristine white linens. Small flower arrangements grace each table along with home-made jams.The china and silver are delicate, and give an extra fillip to the sense of luxury and refinement. The spread of fresh fruits was amazing. Along with the fruit, which I count as an essential for a great breakfast, were dried fruits, rolls, breads, cereals, ham, cheeses, yogurts, etc., etc., etc. Even though we came down at the tail end of the breakfast period, all of the offerings were fresh and full.
As usual, I disagree with Mr. Steves (who can tell you how to tour 4 cities in one day), and describes this hotel as "boring" (per another reviewer who bothers to read him) Rather, it is filled with blue and white china pots, framed art or art posters, and the little details that make one feel that one is not staying in a chain hotel, but rather a very well cared for small hotel.

The location of the hotel is great. Per the receptionist, you take two rights and then a left onto the Tal, which will take you right to the heart of the Old Town. Just after you pass through the Isartor, you will come to the Tal and almost immediately a gorgeous bakery, which had people lined up outside to ogle their wares. We were in the Marienplatz within 10 minutes. There is also a metro stop nearby, which will take you to the Hofbahnhof, so public transportation is close and handy.

The staff was equally as charming as the breakfast. We arrived early, around 10:30, and without asking the clerk found us a room, and sent us on our way. Every day we met with the same kindness, and were thanked most graciously when we left for staying with them. I highly recommend this hotel for those who wish for space, comfort, friendliness and a fabulous breakfast.

Room Tip: Try for a garden room, if possible. If not, no problem...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2013

However, we were a little disappointed with room. We were on our honeymoon and had the suite but it was two rooms joined together. It would have been ideal for 4 people travelling. There was no view and the rooms were dark and closed. The bed was twin and not double. We requested a double duvet 3 times to no avail. There were two bathrooms in the suite which I didn't expect. The shower was great and decor classy. However, no complimentary tea or coffee :-(. Overall I was a little disappointed. Breakfast and location redeemed but I wish I had booked double room with view as I feel the value would have been better. The staff were very friendly in the day but some of the night staff were rude and dismissive.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Rachel3444
Atlanta
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 4 days in May. Besides the fact that this hotel has everything that you need of excellent quality and in good location, the most impressive was the hospitality of the place. We have never before, and we travel quite a bit, felt so welcome as in this hotel. Our plane came early to Munich, and we were in the hotel around 9am or so. I expected that they would keep our luggage until the time of check in. But we were greated by the manager, I presume , within next 5 min. He welcomed us to the breakfast area for a breakfast and a cup of coffee after the TransAtlantic flight, and in 30 min informed us that the the room for us is ready, and it doesn't matter that we came so many hours before check in time, we were welcome any time. The pleasant experience continued throughout our stay regarding the service, breakfast, room, and location. I recommend this hotel to everybody. Next time when We are in Munich, this is the place to stay. No doubt.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank viper1979
Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 October 2013

At first when planning our trip to Munich, we thought we'd stayed in European chain hotel because we knew what we would get - and Rick Steves had it listed in a guide book (although he did call it boring). Then we found an article in Saveur magazine about Munich and the Hotel Admiral was recommended. So glad we found this hotel. It was super comfortable and quiet (we had a garden-view room on second floor) and the staff could not have been nicer or more helpful. We have to give a special shout-out to Raha at the front desk, who should be listed in the dictionary under "best customer service." Kevin was a fabulous host. And the breakfast was exceptional - I swear there was every type of fruit imaginable. The location is convenient - right across the river from the museums, in walking distance to Marienplatz, and 2 blocks from a mainline subway stop. We would stay there again - absolutely!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I would rarely bother to write a review, but I thought Admiral deserved the effort. It's a great little hotel and the staff are extremely helpful (reservations etc) and polite. They put a great deal of effort into the breakfast and the rooms. They obviously care about the details. For the price and location it's great value. Having a balcony is also a plus. Highly recommend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank 148AdamB40
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed here four nights on our last trip and we were very pleased. Right in town but on a quiet side street. The staff was very helpful and polite. Our room faced the garden and was nicely appointed and very clean. Breakfast had a wide variety of foods and everything was very fresh and good quality. We appreciated the fact that breakfast was available for 3 hours each morning. Being on vacation, it was nice to be able to sleep a little later and still get breakfast.
Overall, if you are planning a stay in Munich, I think that you would be hard pressed to find a nicer hotel with better staff than the Admiral

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JRJLAE
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed here for a short break in August to take in the sights of Munich. I found the hotel staff to be very pleasant, helpful and most importantly, welcoming. Although our stay was short the room, the breakfast (which is delicious) and the atmosphere was very good. The room was a little warm on occasion (its August after all) but this did not hamper our enjoyment we simply went out and enjoyed the city. I can recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a pleasant stay in the centre of Munich.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the Garden if you can.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple