“Very Nice Hotel in München”

The Westin Grand Munchen
Ranked #56 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Frankfurt, Germany
“Very Nice Hotel in München”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

Friendly Hotel, nice rooms, good quality for sleeping, not very close to city center, shopping streets and also for clubs&restaurants but in a silent elegance area. It has good accomodation. Comfortable fitness and wellness area. Breakfast is good. Also it has conference rooms, so good hotel for business trips. The wellness and spa is also very good :)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Auerbach, Germany
Reviewed 27 November 2011

The hotel was lovely, the food was incredible, the room was clean and comfortabel, the location was a little less than ideal but very close to the subway. We had a TERRIBLE experience at the Arabella spa. Do not waste your time or money. They were unorganized, rude, my husband's massage was mediocre and my facial was pathetic (and not even the service I had requested). It was absolutely a terrible experience and very expensive. I don't mind spending money on spa services if they are worth it (the treatment I had planned to get was even more expensive than the one they ended up giving me so it's not as if they overcharged me). This was a total waste of money AND of my time.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate M
Portland
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I just spent five nights at this hotel. I'm a very light sleeper and found my room here to be very quiet. I didn't hear any noise from the room next to me or the room above me. Also, I had a room next to the elevators and did not hear any noise from the elevators as well. The location is nice. It's away from the city but takes less than 10 minutes to get downtown on the subway. If you are using points for your stay I highly recommend calling in the reservation line and asking for the upgrade to the club level room. It cost me an additional 1,500 points per night for a total of 11,500 points per night and included free breakfast every morning, free internet, and free drinks and snacks throughout the day. They didn't explain the free internet very well but you get your login and password from the club lounge and you can use it in the lounge or in your room. Overall, a very nice modern hotel with excellent serivce. One thing that bothered me was there was a beautiful BMW roadster on display and nobody could tell me what year it was. It reminded me of an early 50s MGA but I think it may have been from around 1939.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I spent a week here as part of a meeting, and as I planned the meeting, I can comment on the planning process as well. Overall the contract preparation was good, but could have been buttoned up. There were some issues with planning the meeting from a time zone 9 hours behind, so I would get in to find that I still hadn't gotten a response from them and frantically try to get them on the phone for the next 30 minutes before they left for the day. Finally, we got everything worked out. When we arrived, most was as discussed, except everyone was supposed to get internet vouchers when they checked in and that didn't happen. In the end, I just had to have the invoice revised to the contracted amount.

The food at the hotel is good and I like that there are multiple dining options. I never ordered room service, but did eat at the Paulaner several nights, which has good food but service is a bit rough around the edges. They could definitely be friendlier, I mean, it is a hotel restaurant. I also ate at the ZEN restaurant and besides the service being really slow despite there only being one other table eating, the food was good.

The breakfast buffet is excellent, plenty of choices no matter what part of the world you're from and everything seemed really fresh. Even spending a full week there, I didn't run out of options, especially since they were making fresh omelettes.

Once our group had lunch at the ZEN restaurant, a buffet, and again I was impressed with the quality and taste of the food. We ate there again with a bento-box style lunch, 2 Asian choices and again, it was good. The snacks provided as part of our conference were just okay. The smoothies were quite odd actually.

I got upgraded to a large room since I'm plantinum and it's Bavarian style so definitely had some character. Overall I was happy with the room. I like that the safe had an outlet in it. Channels-wise, the TV had a lot of English options. The view from the room (facing the downtown area) was really nice and got good sunsets. Oddly, they also gave me the connecting room which had a bathroom, kitchen table area and couch area. I just kept the door shut though as there was no need for me to use that extra space.

One day i worked in the room until about 1pm, with the do not disturb sign on my door. When I left for the day and came back around 8pm that night, I saw my room had never been cleaned. I guess maybe call down and request it, if you are leaving the room later.

I also had access to the Executive Lounge with platinum and while some people would make that their dinner, it's mostly light apps. They do have sparking wine, wine and beer though so that's nice.

The conference room we had was fine, not much character, but did have a window. We had excellent service the day before the meeting and the first day, but the second day (Sat), everything was off and as it wasn't a normal work day for my contact, it was a bit frantic. Nothing was set up on-time and I had to chase down people to get a flipchart, then no markers were delivered, then they walked in while we had a group presenting and tried to drag the big flipchart in, overall, not very professional.

The day I checked in, I had just gotten off a red-eye flight and while I couldn't get into my room, they did let me use the spa to get ready. There are no bath products in the spa though which I thought was odd, no lotion, etc. I did use the pool one other time, it's actually a really nice area.

Overall, I was happy with the service there. Everyone I spoke to at the front desk, concierge, etc, was always very helpful.

Location-wise, it's not great for downtown, but also not too far. For us, most city center hotels were sold out, so this was a good option for us. A cab was about 10 euro and the walk to the U-bahn is pretty close too.

If I was coming in for business, I'd consider this hotel again, especially with the restaurant and spa facilities, but if I was coming to sight-see, I'd probably choose somewhere closer to the center of town.

Room Tip: Get a room facing West for a great view of the sun setting over downtown.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Same type of service and stay you would expect from other Westins.

Rooms are decent. It's a bit of a subway ride to get to the city center.

You can buy subway tickets at concierge and they have plug adapters if you're using a non-European power plug

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Over the years I have stayed in many Westin Hotels, however the Westin in Munich does not meet the usual standard.
Most annoying was the staff constantly knocking on the door to service the room.
Also, a mechanic arrived to change the airconditioning filter pads, asked to borrow the room chair (no stepladder) stood on the chair in work boots and dropped the dirty filter pads on the floor and then left. Aboslutely amazing.
This is only a "good" but not exceptional hotel, and it misses the unique friendliness and higher standards of most Westin Hotels elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay over the road at the Sheraton for a lot less.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Stayed here in October. And in my opinion this is the best SPG property in Munich.

SPG platinum, so was upgraded to a nice suite apon arrival.

The hotel is a nice Westin, location is Arabellapark. 400 m from the subway. It is not central so you have to take the subway from downtown. But i would rather take the subway and stay here, than stay at the Le Meridien near the RR-station.

The hotel has 2 restaurants and a executive lounge. I tried the German restaurant in the basement. The food as good. the executive lounge was very good, both in the evenings and at breakfast.

Front desk was very good both at check in and out.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple