“棒透了”

The Westin Grand Munchen
Ranked #55 of 383 Hotels in Munich
“棒透了”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The hotel with per factional service. Specially Ms. Angel Ruan. Make me felt like back home.thanks for her warm service. I'm very enjoy my vacation in Westin Grand Hotel Munich. 完美的服務。特別是Ms.angel Zruan,讓我感受的回家的自在。非常感謝他溫馨的服務。我非常享受這趟旅程。強力推薦大家,一定要來拜訪慕尼黑阿拉貝拉公園威斯汀大酒店

• Stayed July 2013
MHabicher, Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Whitelover,
thank you very much for taking the time to write a short friendly note about your stay with us. It is a special pleasure for us to read that you have pointed out Angel, our new staff member especially for our guests from Asia. We are glad that you have enjoyed your vacation in such a far off country and hope that you enjoyed Europe and Munich also.
With my very best regards
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ashdod
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Tourist trap at its best. Executive Lounge room stands out for it's scarcity,breakfast both food and service are at the level of an average 3 star hotel. The room is spacious and spotless, although at the beginning they were trying to push on us an awfully sewage smelly room, taking advantage of the fact that we were wiped out after a night on the road and asked for the room an hour before the schedule.The staff hardly answers any questions and you feel like like nagging when asking. Too bad. The wi fi price is exorbitant. Regrettable value for your money there are so many better options in Munich

Room Tip: Try upper levels otherwise it is terribly noisy
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ZoiaAshdod
Dear ZoiaAshdod,
we are very sorry to read that you had a uncomfortable stay with us. As it is our first priority to be good and welcoming hosts you can be sure that we will share your comment with all relevant departments to avoid such incidents in the future and to give you a feeling from home away from home next time. I very much hope that you will give us a chance again to show you the Westin hospitality.
Your sincerely
Netherlands
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Good location and well equiped. Clublounge staff extremly helpful and friendly. Try Paulaner beergarden or Zen for food. Extensive breakfast buffet. In general pro active staff, attentive and willing to provide the proper service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
MHabicher, Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear PaJeBo,
thank you very much for taking the time to post such a positive review about your recent stay with us. We have shared your comment especially with F&B department and the Ladies from the Club Lounge to let them know what wonderful job they do. It is our first priority to provide our guests with the little extra step in service and we would be glad to offer you this anytime in the future again.
With refreshing regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

There a prettier places to stay in Munich , but if you are running a conference or need a place for a couple of days family touring then this works . Like all Westins good rooms , comfortable beds , great showers ( lower than normal !) and reasonable sized towels . Good range of tv channels too , which is not always the case in Germany .

Gym was tired a lot of the tv panels did not seem to work , but the pool and spa seemed very popular and certainly the congress facilities were excellent . A lot of kids around , and they seemed to be having fun .

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jonathan h
MHabicher, Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Dear jonathan h,
thank you Jonathan, for your nice words. It was our pleasure to had you with us and it makes us very happy that you enjoyed our heavenly beds, the Westin workout and. Maybe, our clutter free conference setup. I have shared your comment with our chief engineer and he insured that all panels are working again – I am sorry for this inconvenience. Please feel free to ask for bigger towels next time you are staying with us, we would be happy to be at your service.
With my very best regards
Adelaide, South Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2013

This hotel became a good value choice in the first week of June, when even small Munich hotels jacked up or at least doubled their prices for what they called "Exhibition Week". Our taxi driver from the hauptbahnhof told us the hotel had been built in the early 1970s to provide extra accommodation for the Olympic Games. The architecture and the surrounding Arabella Park are of that vintage. The hotel rooms, and the beds, provide top rate, spacious, clean, if not impersonal, comfort. To visit friends, and Munich's museums and art galleries, we made good use of a 3-day transport pass, working out we had two choices from the hotel to go by U-bahn, or the nearby frequent tram. We also chose to discover the local shops and supermarket at the base of the adjacent Arabella Park apartment blocks and found a great bakery for breakfast, a salad bar for lunches and even a laundry service all at a quarter of the price of big hotel services with the added bonus of discovering the "locals". This balanced our experience of a big, impersonal hotel, filled with bus tour groups and conference-goers.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear LizB37,
thank you very much for taking the time write a review about your stay with us. A very well informed taxi driver picked you up, and besides the many years from 1970 on, the hotel is in a very good shape with our soft refurbished rooms. Sadly you experienced the hotel as impersonal which maybe has to do with the huge amount of rooms we have but besides that it is our first priority to make every single guest feeling special and “at home”. I do hope very much that we would have the chance to show you what our core values: personal, instinctive, renewal – mean to us.
With very warm regards
Atlanta, GA, USA
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here in a suite as a family for about a week in July and this is the place where we figured out that after a month on the road together we had been travelling long enough, it was really time to go home.

The hotel looks great when you drive up with a large stylish lobby, cool restaurants and bar, large pool and spa, pretty cool "club lounge" on the top floor, you feel like you've arrived in a world-class hotel when you pull up here. That being said, the hotel is so big that service just doesn't match the image or prices, they seem to be geared towards bus-borne tour groups and airline crews, not business travelers and definitely not families with children, in addition to which at times staff we interacted with were downright rude and unfriendly, even hostile. I spend 3 months / year (almost 3 years total in the last 12 years) living in hotels, my kids at this point had spent 1 month living in hotels, this hotel is the one that really got on our nerves where we noticed all the service flaws. Particularly by comparison with the sister-property (also a Westin) in Frankfurt, you just notice the differences, the one in Frankfurt is so much better.

A couple of observations:

1. It looks good, it's stylish, "cool", folks from all over the world, you feel like you're in a cool, international hub when you're strolling through the lobby.

2. The pool and fitness center are huge, interesting, a large, diverse, relaxing set of saunas and interesting underwater water jets in the pool, it's a great place to hang out for a bit and forget about being on the road, you can finally come to rest. Only problem is when we first arrived here after driving 5 - 6 hours from rural Austria, our kids were stir-crazy (as were we) and we really needed to go for a swim. We got to the pool (empty), had the door open already, and the attendant shouted (yes, shouted) "HALT!" (eg, "STOP!") in German and advised that children were not allowed in the pool after 8 pm, then she turned back to folding towels. It turns out that they rent out the pool to non-hotel guests after 8 pm and so they'd rather inconvenience paying hotel guests with children in favor of non-guests who might not like kids. Anyway, no apology, nothing, she just turned her back even though my kids started to cry as they had really been looking forward to the pool. My 11-year-old daughter called the front desk to ask what they had against children and was told that children are loud and annoy the other guests and hence they can't use the pool after 8 pm. Can you believe that someone would tell that to a child? Anyway, for this reason alone I would not stay here, the Sofitel Bayerpost, Bayerischer Hof and Le Meridien (all in much better, more central locations) also have good swimming pools and they do not discriminate against families with children, try them instead if you have kids! Also, the Westin didn't post anywhere their rule that kids are not welcome after 8 pm, neither on the web site, nor on the promotional materials lying around advertising their spa, nor at the entrance to the spa, nor even when my daughter called to see if the pool was open did anyone tell her that the pool was open to everyone but her. Because this policy isn't posted in writing anywhere, my kids remain convinced that they were being lied to because someone didn't like them, this is the hotel where their love of the "Westin" brand definitely came back to reality, compared to the Westins in Frankfurt, in the Caribbean and in Asia..

3. Service here just doesn't cut it. When we arrived to check in, I had to roam the lobby to find someone who would valet park our car, the concierge and bellhop folks had the usual German disease of my request apparently not fitting in with any of their respective job descriptions, so I had to chase around a bit until I finally found someone willing to valet park our car. Apparently that day they had 500 check-in's and -out's (bus tour groups and airline crews, the bellhop said), they were busy you see... When I had unloaded our luggage from the car (note, when I had done so with the attendant standing around watching), he pushed the cart into the lobby and left it standing there, unattended. After having seen someone break down and wail frantically in the lobby of the Sheraton in the Amsterdam airport last year after he had just been robbed of all his luggage, I really pay attention to security, the Westin folks were definitely not, they left our luggage just standing there, with dozens of people coming and going, we had a computer and video camera hanging from the cart, which I then removed when I saw that the Westin folks just walked away and left our luggage standing in the throng of folks milling around. Conversely, when we wanted to check out, it took a full 30 minutes and 3 - 4 phonecalls to the reception until someone with a luggage cart finally came to help with the luggage, not good. Seriously, plan a full one hour from the moment you call downstairs for someone to come get your luggage, until that has happened, you waited down the checkout line, your valet-parked car has been retrieved, and you're finally in the car with your luggage and ready to go... To me, that's too long! Any call to the "service express" or front desk lines involves 45 - 60 seconds of being on hold listening to Westin commercials before a human being finally answers the phone, this happened not just once but constantly, then there's the additional wait until someone actually does what you requested. When our keys didn't work, we had to head back down to the lobby (quite a distance), wait in line to be served, etc. When in the morning on my way to breakfast my key didn't operate the elevator to the lounge, I called the service express line from my cell phone, they said they'd send the elevator down immediately, nothing happened, I tried several times, finally after 15 minutes of standing in the hallway wondering what to do the elevator finally came as other guests left the lounge, so I could ride up to join my family. Lights and light bulbs in our suite didn't all work (so the first impression was dark and depressing), it took a while for a mechanic to show up to get the lights on. We had noted that we were coming with 2 kids, the bedding wasn't ready for them, that took a while to arrange as well. Bottom line is that service is slow to non-existent, frustrating, often unfriendly - in real life when I'm paying, I fire people who take my money and still behave like that! I could give more examples, but you get the gist.

4. The hotel is located in the "Arabellapark" complex, a huge, 1970's style concrete warren of offices, hotels and shopping malls located on the outskirts of Munich, rather convenient to the A-9 Autobahn north to Nuremburg. That being said, it's on the outskirts and it takes a while to get anywhere. At 5 - 6 pm we spent over an hour stuck in rush hour traffic trying to get to a dinner date in the "Augustiner Biergarten" (one of Munich's largest Biergarten restaurants right by the main train station, go, it's awesome). Even outside of rush hour times I spent 20 - 30 minutes in taxis trying to get anywhere in central Munich from the Westin. Bottom line, if you're trying to do things in central Munich, then this is not the place to stay, it's a bit remote, central Munich has tons of terrific hotels, personally I really like the Bayerischer Hof, the Le Meridien, the Sofitel Bayerpost. On the other hand, because this place is not that conveniently located, it tends to be cheaper than the downtown Munich hotels (which to be honest is why we stayed here), though in retrospect I wish we had paid a little more and just stayed in one of the nicer and more central hotels.

5. One thing I did really like was the view of the city from the lounge on the top floor, that was pretty nice and the lounge was cool.

6. The hotel restaurants are good, however they're the usual overpriced fare for folks who are "trapped" in the joint, one of my favorite local restaurants when I needed to go eat from the hotel (as opposed to in the city center) was the "Vapiano" Italian restaurant, a great, fast, reasonably priced Italian restaurant chain that's all over Germany and Austria and serves healthy food, it's literally across the street from the rear of the hotel (10 minute walk away as you have to walk out and around the back of the Westin to get there).

Room Tip: I prefer high rooms with a view of Munich, also do choose rooms with "lounge access" as th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank GeorgiaJoe
MHabicher, Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear GeorgiaJoe,
thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your stay with us even though I was really shocked reading it. I completely understand your disappointment about the service you experienced, or better let’s say not experienced. Please let me express my sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you had. The worst is that you will keep Munich and the Westin in a bad memory, which we deeply regret. You can be sure that I have shared your comment with all relevant departments to avoid such incidents in the future and I hope that there will be a chance to show you that we can do better. If there is anything I can do for you, please contact me directly via e-mail: Mario.habicher@westin.com. It would be my pleasure to be at your service.
With warm regards
Brentwood, California
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Well what Can I say... The property is a great property to stay with a good restaurant & bar. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The staff are all very polite and professional. Again, nothing there's nothing wrong with the property. The only challenges I experienced were caused by surrounding venues... Yes, local restaurants, taxi drivers and overall customer service.

You know, one needs to get out of the hotel and venture off to the local sites. I visited three local establishments and was floored with the lack of customer service. In one of the venue's I visited, I waited exactly 25 min. to be served. No one ever came. So, I walked out of the establishment. Another venue didn't have any English menus! My German is not the best, but what made it worse was that no one spoke English. Keep in mind, that these venues surround an American based hotel chain...

Look, I'm not trying to bash this trip, but I feel that if the local venues can't hold up and provide customer service, then the hotel would be your safe haven

Overall- Great trip!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Angel A,
thank you very much for your positive review about the Westin Grand Munich. It looks like you felt comfortable with our English speaking staff and English menues in our outlets. For us, as a hotel with guests from all over the world, it is quite normal to offer English written menues but unfortunately not for all of the restaurants around here. But, as you wrote, we have a choice of four different restaurants within our Hotel Complex (Westin & Sheraton), and we would be glad to serve you with english speaking staff.
Yours