“Great Hotel”

Ranked #56 of 383 Hotels in Munich
Orlando, Florida
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

we went during oktobertfest which was awesome and spa was not working when we were there, might of been why the room rate was reduced. Top Notch Hotel...A++++

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Reviewed 26 September 2009

Pros:
Nice rooms, nice beds, very nice towels in the bathroom.
I was upgraded to a Jr. Suite on a reward stay at an SPG Plat.
Staff was helpful
Easy access to U Bahn to get to old town (also a con that hotel is out of the center)

Cons:
Parking over priced
Internet (no wireless) over priced
Club Lounge was limited and small
Not in the city center
Breakfast was just ok for a 5 star hotel.

Over all a good hotel but it is not worth the sticker price. Rooms are very modern and there is a lot of money staying at this hotel. I forgot that I was in Germany, most of the hotel was full of people from Dubai.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 19 September 2009

We thought this was closer to the Old City than it actually was, however, got around OK on the nearby U Bahn.
Rooms were fantastic, service was good and had a great dinner at the Asia restaurant.
Negatives: Charged Euro17 for 24hrs of so-called high speed internet...no wireless, and had to use a cable that supplied dial-up speed connectivity. I travel internationally extensively and with more and more hotels offering free wireless internet (as they should...can you imagine if you were charged to turn on the TV in the Room?!!) I find this charging for internet unacceptable.
Breakfasts were good but at Euro27 per person this is simply getting crazy...we paid Euro 85 for the room and then almost the same for breakfast for two!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 13 September 2009

I only stayed one night at the end of a busy trip. My goal was to enjoy one more day of sightseeing in Munich and then rest up with an early evening watching a movie, followed by a long run the next morning.

Unfortunately the TV/entertainment system is the worst I have ever seen. You pay a premium of 6.50 euros to get an assortment if foreign language channels like Bloomberg and BBC. Which seems reasonable. Unfortunately you have to return to the home screen every time you want to change the channel. So you can't just flip through. As far as I can tell, there was no guide to the premium channels. So unless you are just looking to watch Bloomberg, this service is useless. As I was there on a Sunday, it was useless. Additionally, the movie instructions very clearly state that you can ff and rewind - just like a DVR. Well, you can't. I started a movie and then decided to take a quick shower first. When I tried to rewind I couldn't. I called for service and they send a tech up who insisted that you can't rewind. And it turns out he was right, but why do they tell you you can (see photo)? Also, the guy smelled, couldn't help me, and was waiting for a tip. They did credit the expenses back to me without any difficulty. I don't mind paying for extras (when it's disclosed) but if you are going to charge for something, it should work.

The next morning I tried to get decent instructions to the English Garden to run. This is a wonderful place to run. They couldn't provide. This is the second Westin I have stayed at that claims to have running maps, but what they have are inadequate. Since I had a plane to catch later in the day I decided to use the gym instead. But the gym was closed for renovations. As I booked through Hotwire, I can't blame the hotel for this. I was able to use the Sheraton across the street. They have a ridiculous layout that involves a coed locker room, a requirement of wearing blue baggies over your running shoes to get through the pool and to the workout area, and one treadmill facing directing into the morning sun through an unscreened window. With a 20 minute limit.

The location of the hotel is somewhat inconvenient (although there are good transportation options in Munich) and the neighborhood is nice, but the architecture is not attractive. A very pleasant woman checked me in and a somewhat pleasant woman checked me out. I didn't realize it until I had left the lobby, but I think the woman who checked me out was telling me I was not allowed to carry my own bags through the lobby? While waiting to check in I was pretty blatantly cut in front of by a group of men. In general, the guests were kind of loud and seemed to crowd the lobby.

There were several restaurants that I didn't try, but they looked nice. I suspect they are good.

All in this hotel was very satisfactory for the price that I paid. But I expect a five star hotel to be a destination in itself and this hotel definitely is not. However, if you are only paying $150/100 euros a night it's pretty nice.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2009

Plusses:
Rooms excellent, Hotel Spotless. Staff among the best Ive encountered, Got a great deal at around 95 Euro (including taxes) a night which is incredible for a 5 star. Some adequate shops and restaurants within walking distance.
Minuses:
Paid Parking
Spa and fitness area was being renovated
Internet not complimentary - so if youre bringing a car and wish to use the internet, prepare to pay nother 30-40 Euro a day
Location a little out of the way but transport available close by
Overall, Id stay again because the room I stayed in was excellent

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 22 August 2009

I am wondering if the other people who stayed here were in the same hotel as me..? This goes down as one of the worst and ugliest 5 stars I have stayed in for a long time. I hated it- and the best part was leaving! The only part I can relate to are the comments re large Arab groups/families being in the hotel (apparently they decamp for the summer) with unruly kids and ladies dressed head to toe in black in 35 degs of heat -seemingly with nothing to do?

The hotel is a characterless 60s tower block on the outskirts of the city. Probably like many done for the Olympics? It is not a typical Westin- they are usually in the centre and older character properties- and I find it strange the Westin group have wanted to give their franchise to this property as it does them no favours and confuses the brand positioning.

The downstairs area is fine- a typical reception area with usual facilities. The cafes and seating areas largely occupied by Arab guests. The reception staff are functional but very average.

But the location? it is stuck in the outskirts with nothing to see/do in the immediate area (sorry but who wants to walk to see gardens which is the only thing on offer as the english gardens are 10 mins walk away)- and offering superb views from one side of the main road/motorway and a roundabout- (and if you are on floors 15 and below on that side- boy, do you hear the traffic noise..) , the other side overlooks the unattractive 60s style block the Sheraton is in - which looks more like a council block than a hotel. oh and offices and other odd buildings. Also no places to eat or drink out... Apparently you can get public transport in to the centre- or a return taxi fare is minimum 30 Euros. I would simply stay in the centre and avoid the hassle!!!!

I saw 3 types of rooms as I requested to move from my main road noisy one and then got put in a Bavarian room... The one to really watch/check out if you have standard European tastes is this "Bavarian room" - this looked slightly better on the website (now that I have looked as you do not expect to get this type of er- unusual- playing around with decors) than the one I saw- but is odd light wood and looks more like a kitchen- hideous. I was told Americans and Japanese tend to like this odd style. Good- they can have it... Their mainstream standard rooms are ok, nothing special tho - with a standard decor. The executive level is also ok- but again nothing special tho and no wow factor- functional. All rooms at all levels are ridiculously small in comparison to other hotels and countries - I guess they wanted to maximise rooms and minimise space when constructing this place? The standard ones have a kettle- so a plus. The exec rooms a Nespresso machine- so 2 pluses. The exec rooms have an iron and board- just a shame mine did not work.

They have also got a new TV system in the rooms with apparently a wide selection of language channels. Frankly- i would have been happier having an older system with a printed list of channels you can find and use easily- as there are no instructions re the new system in the room (they are now working on a manual I was told! why not anticipate in advance customers will need this??) . Likewise re hotel info- absolutely nothing in the room. You will find an arabic food menu tho.... this just is not a hotel which knows how to cater to guests. Other than Arabs in part perhaps?

I briefly saw the pool area- not overly inspiring but functional. To note- this whole area and the sun bathing lawn they advertise is under-going refurb work and closed from 9am to 3pm each day- so tough luck if you want to use it during the day- very tough luck as there is nothing to do to kill time in this hotel. You will not easily find this info on the website as it is very well hidden... Nor will you be told when you check in. Misleading is not the word....

Breakfast was also a fun experience- to try to kill time before escaping to the airport I decided to opt for a late breakfast at 10am (they stop at 10,30am). There were so many people just sitting around... seemingly nothing to do, nowhere to go? So- first to get fruit juice- fresh orange juice. They had run out- incredible for a 5 star hotel!!! I was told it takes 3 hours to get more in as it is brought in from somewhere else.. great, good start. The fruit did not look fresh ( I have recently stayed at good hotels in cities in Germany with superb breakfasts and incredible food so this was a real let down) so I moved on to the cooked area where the remains of other dishes festered awaiting their 10.30am bin call-up. An omelette should be easy, I thought- so I queued up and ordered, then returned 3 minutes later to see my omelette had gone from the pan but was told it was at the back and was duly handed a plate and the sacrificial offering. Only problem- not the one I had ordered. (In the Westin in Berlin you fill in a form and they bring it to the table to you- why cannot all the westins in Germany have the same best practise?). Staff were few and far between. After 25 mins I gave up trying to get a coffee.

As i emerged- a huge number of people trying to check in emerged- so 20 people-deep at each check-in point... looks like this is used for conferences? perish the thought you wanted to ask a question or get anywhere near the reception staff...

Would I recommend this hotel to anyone or go back? No way... this is also not worth the money... I would opt for the Kempinski, Charles or Meridien down-town next time I am in Munich.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Kate70
westingrandmuenchen, manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this review, 1 September 2009
Dear Kate,
my name is Sandra Schmidt-Grimm and I am the Assistant of the General Manager here at the Westin Grand Munich.
Firstly I would like to say thank you for taking the time to write such a long review. We do value all feedback from guests both, positive and negative, as this is the only way to ensure we continue to grow and envolve as a business.
I would like to assure you that we read all reviews and share the comments with the relevant departments. I am very sorry that we didn't reach our goal to make sure that all our guests have a pleasant stay. I heared that you were talking to our Front Office Manager during your stay already.
I regret very much that you have such a bad memory of your stay and hope that next time when you choose a hotel in Munich your expectations will be met all along the line.
Kind regards,
The Westin Grand Munich Arabellapark
ATH
Reviewed 18 August 2009

I stayed at the Westin for four nights so far and I may end up staying there for more. The location is not very close to all the tourist attractions but I dont mind because I work during the day.

The rooms are adequately big for me and always cleaned and serviced. The bathroom is excellent. There is an iron board in the room as well as an ironing aparatus for trousers, perfect for those who come to Munich for Business. Unfortunately, although they provide guests with a robe, i still havent located a pair of slippers.

Breakfast is very good in a nice dining area with attentive staff and a great selection. The restaurant in the beergarden is also good and not that expensive.

The only two problems I have encountered so far:

-As many of the hotels around Munich (same at the Sheraton and Le Meridien), the Westin caters to many Arab tourists that think it is perfectly normal for their children to run around and play in the corridors at 11+pm while other guests are trying to sleep or rest. Why these children stay up so late without much supervision I still cannot explain. I understand though why it MAY be hard for the hotel to control this.

-On all of my three check ins at the Westin I asked for a smoking room, because I am a smoker and I do not like smoking in rooms that will later be offered to non-smokers that will not like the faint smell. Only once did I arrive in a smoking room, although I asked for it every time, which meant that I had to go downstairs again and outside the hotel to have a cigarette. I am not really into the changing rooms in the middle of the night routine, since I only use the hotel to sleep between working long hours at the office so I let it go and remind them again during check out or during the next check in.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business